Dûnyain society

• 49 Replies

Garet Jax

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2013, 07:31:28 pm »
The quote "History is written by the victors" comes to mind.

Depending on the "victors" of any time frame, history can be warped/altered or outright changed in almost any way imaginable.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2013, 07:47:02 pm »
There are still States in the south that teach in grade school that the War of Norther Oppression (aka the Civil War) wan't about slavery at all, but was an unjust war based solely on the North's economic jealousy.

History is written by whoever wants to write it, which is no necessarily the victor. Generally though 'accepted' history is almost certainly written by the victors.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2014, 03:11:25 pm »
It seems strange to me that the Dunyain are so obsessed with "the darkness that comes before" and yet they reject history.  The seem like the one group that would go out of their way to uncover history to try to find blindspots.  Maybe in the high up pragma councils they keep a record of who started the Dunyain and why and how they found Ishual.  Without knowing those things, they have no chance of becoming their own instrument.  Maybe that's what graduation from grunt to pragma is--you've proved that you are sufficiently independent of circumstance so you are allowed to know the circumstances of the Dunyain program inception.

As for Moenghus having a purpose to cross the steppe, I want to believe, but I can see how the circumstance could pile up: M sent out to gauge sranc threat, M returns to report, M exiled as polluted, as Dunyain M cannot do other than dominate whatever there is to dominate--the local sranc, M learns their language learns of humans, investigates Atrithau, learns of more things to dominate in the south, M pretends to be a captive, dominates Scylvendi on the way towards the most powerful nation in the 3 seas.  As the first Dunyain out of Ishual (if he was) he just necessarily rose to the top.  Have a hard time believing Kellhus will ever find his way past his dad's nets.  :P

@ Madness - Awesome!  Kellhus is trained like a honored matre in Ishual.  I like it.

@ FB - i love the idea of Earwa as mega-topoi!

@ Wilshire - can confirm, the "war of northern aggression" narrative is still kicking around  :(

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2014, 02:29:24 am »
I think the Dunyain are supposed to be obsessed with escaping TDTCB.

Is it a co-incidence that the Dunyain were established at the same time as the no-god?
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2014, 10:16:02 pm »
I think the Dunyain are supposed to be obsessed with escaping TDTCB.

Is it a co-incidence that the Dunyain were established at the same time as the no-god?

I'm having trouble expressing what I mean--something along the lines of what Cnaiur said about Kellhus to Conphas when Cnaiur was captured after the bloodbath at Jokta.  Something like "he sees their beginnings and so wields their ends."  I don't know why the Dunyain wouldn't want to meticulously understand their history so they could better know how to escape it?

I love your coincidence!  Must mean something!