Steven Erikson (The 3.5 million word journey?)

• 198 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2015, 03:09:49 pm »
(click to show/hide)

I'd suggest that you go to the malazan forum, just stick to boards for GotM/DG/MOI. They have a similar spoiler policy that we do, which is basically that any information contained within the book of that board is fair game, but other info past it is spoiler tagged. People seem pretty respectful of spoilers over there and if you tell people where you are in the books and request not to have anything spoiled, you should be safe.

http://forum.malazanempire.com/
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Garet Jax

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2015, 07:35:16 pm »
The change in scenery, characters, and writing style hasn't bothere me nearly as much as I though it would in House of Chains so far.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2015, 07:39:02 pm »
I really liked the initial 25%. It was a great change of pace. Slowed down for me after they started switching through characters again.

Garet Jax

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2015, 07:45:21 pm »
Ah, must have not hit the 25% percent mark yet ;), it's still in the refreshing change of pace portion right now.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2015, 02:46:07 pm »
House of Chains spoiler:

(click to show/hide)
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2015, 10:13:10 am »
Well, it was fun while it lasted, but I decided to quit the series(again) a couple of days ago. I was halfway through HOC when I just realized that I really don`t give a fuck about anything and anyone in this series anymore. It is just too much. It really is hard to put my finger on exactly what happened, because I really enjoyed MOI, and the Karsa Orlong story in HOC.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2015, 01:30:36 pm »
This graveyard of readers :o.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2015, 05:24:57 pm »
No point of reading something you don't enjoy. 3.5 books is a fair shake.
Adieu Royce. I'll let you know if I make it.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2015, 07:35:11 pm »
This series took me about 10 months to finish, including some of the ICE books, not all. I loved it, and about after HoC, I always said I would give it a break after every book, to clear my head. Never did, as you guys have said, they way the books are structured, the endings always had me thirsting for more. I was happy and a little exhausted when I finished. Great ride though!
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2015, 08:43:10 pm »
I salute you for doing it MSJ, I was wondering if you would make it when I saw on Westeros you were going straight through.
I'm taking my time, just finished House of Chains myself and really enjoyed it. Waiting a bit in between books makes it special each time I come back to the series. You guys are right, though, the urge to dive into the next one is pretty tough at the end of each installment.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2015, 11:24:28 pm »
Thank you, yes when I got to MoI, I knew I was stuck. So, from there I just plunged into it. The one after HoC, cant recall the name at the moment, I started getting bogged down everytime I started a new book. It doesn't change, all his books follow the same pattern. Slow the first half, then the last 3-400 pages he smacks ya in the face over and over and over. For as long as a series that it was, you'd think he would run out of material to keep things interesting, not the case, wasn't a book I truly didn't like. But, there was certainly stretches that I felt like dropping em' and giving it a rest, I just slogged through. Wanted to get em done and move on. Still, I believe it had an incredible ending, and was nothing that I would of expected.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2015, 01:48:11 am »
Which of the Esselmont books have you read MSJ?

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2015, 08:52:14 am »
Stoneweilder was the last I read. I have Orb, Sceptre, Throne and I really need to read it. I should've stuck with the reading order, but I just wanted to finish up The Book of the Fallen, badly. I'm on the last book of The Long Price Quartet, just started it. I think I will pick up OST when done, man a lot of memories flood back just thinking about where I'd pick up at. Pickled Seguleh, anyone?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 08:55:50 am by MSJ »

Camlost

• The Ginger-Beard Wizard
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2015, 07:25:59 pm »
I've started the Malazan series several times from different points and very nearly finished it (the sheer size is exhausting to even consider). It looks as if most of the folks here haven't yet gotten to the point where this comment is relevant and are avoiding ICE's books as well, but I think it worth mentioning the differing focus between their contributions.

The difference becomes apparent around Erikson's sixth book, The Bonehunters, and ICE's second, The Return of the Crimson Guard (one of my personal favourites for the reason I'm about to discuss). It's at this point that Erikson begins to focus solely on those plotlines he has already established and "converged" (something he discusses often in text regarding events and which I find pretty accurately describes his narrative style, ie. those last hundred pages or so being the most thrilling of each book) and ICE takes up the focus on events with the empire. That's why you can read them interspersed throughout or following the Book of the Fallen.

I mention it because I found the idea that any empire might come together and flourish in a world so widely populated by terrifically powerful beings and species in comparison to mortal men to be fascinating.

And as some encouragement, the ending to Toll the Hounds more than makes up for the 9000 pages leading up to it

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2015, 10:09:09 am »
I 2nd Toll the Hounds ending is worth it! That is the ultimate convergence!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 10:15:40 am by MSJ »