TUC Reviews

• 44 Replies

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 02:03:17 pm »
I'm seeing a common "complaint" about the books with these reviews - it's not all tied up in a pretty bow. No shit, that's part of the point of the writing - it was not done to screw the reader over, but to engage the reader in a way few authors can pull off.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 04:45:54 pm »
Speculiction:

http://speculiction.blogspot.nl/2017/09/review-of-unholy-consult-by-r-scott.html

Thanks, Hiro!

I'm seeing a common "complaint" about the books with these reviews - it's not all tied up in a pretty bow. No shit, that's part of the point of the writing - it was not done to screw the reader over, but to engage the reader in a way few authors can pull off.

I actually thought Speculiction's review was pretty positive, overall.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 06:26:46 am »
He says: "And finally, with the publishing of The Unholy Consult, I think it can at last be said that Bakker has written the epic fantasy series of the post-Tolkien era."  If you don't think that's a positive review, I think you need to reexamine your standards.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 07:21:54 pm »
Didn't mean to suggest all of these reviews were negative - to clarify, of those "complaining" about the work, I'm seeing some common criticisms. Not a big deal.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 08:47:15 pm »
Ha! Reference my thread, [TUC Spoilers] TaoHorror’s big take away from the series.

This reviewer agrees with me ... and he's a doctor, ooo aaah! The reward centers in my brain are firing on all cylinders  ;D

http://frigidreads.blogspot.nl/2017/08/the-unholy-consult-by-r-scott-bakker.html

Our society, often divided between those arrogantly assured of their salvation and immunity to the flames and those who honestly believe that those flames don't exist, has in large measure forgotten that horror even exists. Mr. Bakker brings us a small reminder that something as immense as eternity should not be taken casually. If Hell is an objective, provable fact in your universe, then it is a horrifying, gut churning, bowel loosening one and should be treated as such.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 11:28:54 pm »
Quote from:  Tao
This reviewer agrees with me ... and he's a doctor, ooo aaah! The reward centers in my brain are firing on all cylinders  ;D

You've officially have the coolest doctor on Earth! Lucky you. You'll live forever, with his revelations from the book. ;)

ETA: shit I thought it was your doctor. .. I might look him up though, lol
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 11:31:28 pm by MSJ »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2017, 03:46:16 am »
frigid isn't a doctor nor does he claim to be.  His editor, on the other hand, is a mutual friend and does have Phd.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2017, 05:54:14 pm »
frigid isn't a doctor nor does he claim to be.  His editor, on the other hand, is a mutual friend and does have Phd.

Aw, nuts! I misread that - the editor is a phd ... oh, well, ego now deflated. Does Frigid have respects? Anything?

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2017, 06:37:22 pm »
Is there any recent interview of Bakker in any site? Nothing?
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2017, 10:50:45 pm »

Aw, nuts! I misread that - the editor is a phd ... oh, well, ego now deflated. Does Frigid have respects? Anything?

I'm not sure what you're asking.  He's a veteran of the US Marine Corps with an Anthropology degree who takes his Christianity seriously but who has no problems with being friends with godless atheists like yours truly.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2017, 10:54:39 pm »

I'm not sure what you're asking.  He's a veteran of the US Marine Corps with an Anthropology degree who takes his Christianity seriously but who has no problems with being friends with godless atheists like yours truly.

Good enough for me! See TSA people ... I can be smart! Me and this very impressive person agree, Hell isn't just some scare tactic to get kids to Sunday school - it's some serious shit!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 10:57:04 pm by TaoHorror »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2017, 05:26:48 pm »
Speculiction did a second review/addendum/piece on TUC!
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2017, 11:12:12 pm »
Speculiction did a second review/addendum/piece on TUC!

Oh, I wonder who privately contacted him about this ... hmm

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2017, 02:05:28 pm »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2017, 07:51:00 pm »
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man