Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« on: November 21, 2017, 03:14:05 pm »
Great episode with mycologist Paul Stamets.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 10:15:23 pm »
I don't trust that guy. Too many big statements, where are the publications in high impact journals? Fungi are cool though.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 08:38:35 pm »
I found him fun to listen to. Here's hoping he's right, would be cool to converse with a fungus.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 01:35:18 pm »
Joe Rogan Experience with Dan Carlin
- Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

A meandering episode - though, I still thought it was great - and it got especially salient for me nearer the end when they discuss education. HH is definitely worth a listen, though, if you have any interest in history.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 03:23:08 pm »
Thought I'd consolidate.

Andy Stumpf - starts off a little rough and I definitely don't agree with everything he's saying but damn, it gets really good in the latter half. Also, noteworthy for Dora Vee, I believe, spends a minute or two disparaging people who impersonate servicepeople.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." - James Mattis
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 03:25:49 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 12:45:14 am »
Where, exactly, but that's a lot of podcast to go through. lolol
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 06:34:17 am »

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 07:36:01 am »
Jordan Peterson is interesting. He can go from saying things that sound sensible at one moment to complete nonsense like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7GKmznaqsQ&t=43m56s
I wouldn't trust anything coming out of that man's mouth.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 11:27:40 am »
I had a look at the The Pareto distribution, it looks like it is an accepted statistical tool.

I only saw him as someone mentioned the lauriel university scandal to me and he ended up commenting on it.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 06:17:45 pm »
Been looking through some videos, it's mostly the drama ones that pop up. like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMSmUzDt-7U

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 08:41:48 pm »
I meant more the assertion that gender differences are largest in Scandinavian countries and that this gender difference is specifically caused by genetic differences between the sexes. What asshole did he pull that information out of?

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 05:57:12 am »
I meant more the assertion that gender differences are largest in Scandinavian countries and that this gender difference is specifically caused by genetic differences between the sexes. What asshole did he pull that information out of?

Have you ever tried to find out? Or are you asking me to find out for you?

The first google i get is this paper

Countries with Higher Levels of Gender Equality Show Larger National Sex Differences in Mathematics Anxiety and Relatively Lower Parental Mathematics Valuation for Girls

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0153857

The next google result stated this documentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LRdW8xw70

My main interest was in the protests about him and how they were conducted, what he was saying was pretty immaterial at the time.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 08:35:12 am »

Have you ever tried to find out? Or are you asking me to find out for you?

The first google i get is this paper

Countries with Higher Levels of Gender Equality Show Larger National Sex Differences in Mathematics Anxiety and Relatively Lower Parental Mathematics Valuation for Girls

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0153857

The next google result stated this documentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5LRdW8xw70

My main interest was in the protests about him and how they were conducted, what he was saying was pretty immaterial at the time.
A quote from the linked study:
Further, we found that boys reported higher perceived parental valuation of mathematics than did girls, and parents actually rated mathematical development as more important for sons than for daughters. The differential valuation of mathematics between the sexes was larger in more developed countries. Paradoxically, economic and social development was associated with a widening gap between parents’ beliefs about the importance of mathematics for sons versus daughters. We found that in this respect the Nordic countries differ from most other countries: These countries score highest in gender equality and have no (Iceland) or a small (Norway, Sweden, Finland) difference between parental valuation of sons’ and daughters’ mathematical development. Further study of the unique socio-cultural factors affecting sex differences in these specific countries will be of importance for better understanding the relation between gender equality and gender differences in educational attitudes.

I don't see how this harmonizes with the conclusion. Would you also e.g. say that girls just intrinsically find pink to be a more desirable color? But pink only became associated with femininity last century. It's dangerous to make sweeping conclusions about some "intrinsic" variability when we are ALWAYS associated with a specific culture.

Regarding https://www.bradley.edu/dotAsset/165918.pdf , when looking at table 1, one of the things that can be seen is that some very well developed countries Far Eastern countries have a very low GSDI. Maybe Western culture is somehow correlated with sex differences? Even if there was a clean trend, it'd still be a premature condition since you'd have to show that these differences are specifically caused by sex and not by socio-cultural tendencies associated with higher human development, i.e. you need to show that this proposition
It is proposed that heightened levels of sexual
dimorphism result from personality traits of men and women being less constrained and more able to
naturally diverge in developed nations.
is true, or seems to be true, which it doesn't seem to be IMO given that we are bombarded with culture and ideals all the time.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to say that there are no differences between the sexes. What I'm taking issue with are broad politically motivated statements.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 10:50:51 am »
I'm not qualified to interpret the studies, especially since I don't have access to the full one or the methodology etc.

I'm just answering "What asshole did he pull that information out of?"

I'm totally the wrong person to debate this. I just found hm cause of a conversation about Laurier university and how they lied to a TA that her showing a Peterson clip got complaints then organised a kangeroo court to try her, and if she hadn't secretly recorded it she would have been in the deep shit. The report exonerating her in every way just came out before Christmas.

So i searched Peterson and saw the two videos i posted, me and Madness had spoke about Rogan on Skype (i'm an MMA fan so i know him from commentary on that) and it's a Canadian academic department so posted the link.

There's every chance i'm not even representing his views correctly so any argument would be null anyway.