Other forms of magic?

• 4 Replies

NronFisher

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: April 13, 2017, 06:33:21 am »
Within Earwa there are a number of known magics meant to bring the powers of the subjective Outside to the objective mortal plane through reflections of the God. The Gnosis is regarded as the purest because it is an intellectually-based use of extractions, while the anagogic magic is a derivation of the Outside. Finally the Psukhe is an emotional acceptance of the God's will blending Outside and mortal plane.

My question is; could there be other forms of magic? Whether or not this comes up in the next few books, does the world Bakker created allow for alternate forms? I suppose this all comes down to what the basis for magic is, but it could be interesting if there was a type of magic based on say, familiar knowing, aka the type of knowledge that only comes from experience, like sex, or losing a loved one, and this subjective experience can be drawn upon to reinterpret the world. Or an exchange whereby the Outside is transposed upon the world (there appears to be some places where the Outside is far more present in Earwa, as shown in TGO).

Thoughts? Is there any basis for magic you think might be interesting?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 01:37:53 pm »
Emotional or Intellectual pretty much covers most of the bases.

However, the tales of Shamen, who used magic before the Breaking of the Gates is intriguing. So some kind of elemental/holy magic seemed to have existed prior to the nonman influences. 'Holy' magic is often referred to Thaumaturgy in this context.

Shae seemed to be keen on mathematics-based sorcery. This to me is practically its own branch - as I'd say mathematics and philosphy are not functionally very similar.

Certainly there were different applications of sorcery trhough out the ages. Witches - whatever they were, Aporos - an anti-magic sorcery, Daimos - summoning, there was also some kind of Artificing/Crafting done by the nonmen - those who made magical implements like infused swords and the like. I wish we saw more of the old arts, like the massive door in the Coffers.

Lets be honest here, the Psukhari are basically Water Benders. Certainly there must be some other forms of elemental magic - maybe Indara has a Fiery brother ?

One of the other conditions of possibility.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 02:12:15 pm »
Don't forget about what Malowebi and the Zëum use, also. The magic came from a totem. I really need to go back and read it. I'm seriously thinking the Zëum has it right, their sorcery and their belief system. I think that's why Kellhus was so intrigued by the ward Malowebi made. I could be wrong, but did it keep Malowebi from being damned, the totem?
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 10:24:13 am »
I am interested in the Shamanic magic myself. But probably we will wait until TSTSNBN until we see it.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 11:36:18 am »
A witch made Akka's waithi doll I think.