Wracu and Chorae

• 18 Replies

Borque

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« on: March 07, 2016, 07:58:42 pm »

Astonishingly enough, nobody seems to have asked this yet, so here goes:

Why didn't the Consult equip their dragons with Chorae?

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 05:39:14 am »
And there it was - The Question of Questions.

Cû'jara-Cinmoi

• Momurai
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 01:11:19 pm »
Mike mentioned this on TPB as the 'question of questions,' but I'm sure this in the books somewhere. Wracu find them painful, for reasons that are hotly contested. One interpretation involves the fact that it's not just places where atrocity wears thin the fabric of the onta. As Wutteat shows, it's beings as well. Wracu, some argue, are demonic in some respect.

Another interpretation turns on the way morality is intrinsic to the ontology of the World. If you look at Chorae as 'logic bombs' designed to obliterate violations of code, then you can chart antipathies to Chorae according to different kinds of violations. Thus the difference between Schoolmen and Cishaurim. Wracu are not simply Inchoroi abominations, they are Inchoroi abominations possessing souls. Like the Cishaurim, they do not so much violate the 'letter' as the 'spirit' of natural law. Chorae are 'ontological stressors' in the latter instance. 

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 01:35:26 pm »
Mike mentioned this on TPB as the 'question of questions,' but I'm sure this in the books somewhere. Wracu find them painful, for reasons that are hotly contested. One interpretation involves the fact that it's not just places where atrocity wears thin the fabric of the onta. As Wutteat shows, it's beings as well. Wracu, some argue, are demonic in some respect.

I could have missed it, but I don't know that it is there as I have combed the books many times.

Another interpretation turns on the way morality is intrinsic to the ontology of the World. If you look at Chorae as 'logic bombs' designed to obliterate violations of code, then you can chart antipathies to Chorae according to different kinds of violations. Thus the difference between Schoolmen and Cishaurim. Wracu are not simply Inchoroi abominations, they are Inchoroi abominations possessing souls. Like the Cishaurim, they do not so much violate the 'letter' as the 'spirit' of natural law. Chorae are 'ontological stressors' in the latter instance. 

Whoa.  That is a very dense paragraph.  Will probably take me weeks to unpack.

Someone call in Locke.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 01:50:52 pm »
One interpretation involves the fact that it's not just places where atrocity wears thin the fabric of the onta. As Wutteat shows, it's beings as well.

I assume, that this could be applied to The Captain, as well?
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 02:12:13 pm »
There it is, folks.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 02:15:39 pm by Bolivar »

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 02:43:47 pm »
So the Consult can make being with souls. That skin-spy wasn't a mistake?

JRControl

• Momurai
  • Kellhus lied, Harambe died
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 04:37:46 pm »
My original thinking was that dragons were technologically bred abominations, but souled ones and in some ways a part of the Few, their fire breath only coming out on Earwa. Once they started dabbling with sorcery they of course became vulnerable to it. This however makes me think the inspiration for making dragons come from what the Consult saw in the Inverse Fire. Meaning their fire breath could be like...from the fires of hell. That is a very awesome thought.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 05:16:52 pm by JRControl »
“Because you’re a pious man born to a world unable to fathom your piety. But all that changes with me, Akka. The old food pyramids have outlived the age of their intention, and I have come to reveal the new. I am the Slimmest Path, and I say that you are not damned.”

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 05:12:56 pm »
So the Consult can make being with souls. That skin-spy wasn't a mistake?

I've always had the feeling  that Wracu were something akin to cyborgs.  The question of why they were souled though was a bit of a mystery though.  Now I have a feeling that they are actually highly grafted Inchoroi augmented with Tekne upgrades, patterened off Wutteat.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 11:45:07 pm »
Painful to the point where they can't function while wearing them? Because pain in return for immunity from the most powerful weapon in Eärwa is not a bad trade.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 03:30:34 am »
Painful to the point where they can't function while wearing them? Because pain in return for immunity from the most powerful weapon in Eärwa is not a bad trade.
You might be over estimating their power against a dragon

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 03:35:51 am »
That's a good point, I think it's said that wracu were specifically bred to counter gnostic sorcerers.

dragharrow

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 05:28:20 am »
Wow big stuff.

Not only an answer to why wracu don't wear chorae, but also an answer to why the Cishaurim get burned by the chorae in a different way than schoolman. This even relates to why Mimara is able to use her Chorae to "turn" the wight in Cil-Aujas.

Somehow the Chorae, as the manifestations of philosophical paradoxes, are the moral center of the world?

dragharrow

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 04:39:46 am »
Not moral center, that's badly phrased. They're more like literal moral compasses.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 06:13:20 am »
I wonder if she forgave the wight into oblivion (in this case oblivion is not like a terrible fate so much as a release from damnation torture)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 06:22:34 am by Callan S. »