So...where do we go from here...? (Post TUC questions and thoughts)

• 39 Replies

Triskele

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Condouchioned
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2017, 05:09:51 am »
Yeah, I think "even mighty Likaro" was my favorite bit.

I sure am curious about where we go from here.  A few of the things I'll be most curious about going forward:

-What's the role for The Most Blessed Fraction, the character that you lot call Crabicus? 

-What's the role for Meppa?  I felt like when Meppa was introduced in WLW it had to portend something huge which, at least for TAE, turned out not to be the case at all.  Does RSB still have something big planned?  Will he remain the last Cishaurim?  One of my bigger disappointments in his role not escalating in the last two books was that I'd love to see the Cishaurim and the Psukhe explored a bit more.

-Given Zeum's presumably much bigger role in the next series will we also get more of a taste of the Iswazi?  I hope see.  I think Bakker's magic system is great, so throwing one more on the pile would be cool.

-How do the Nonmen re-emerge?  Did the Lord of Swans die in this book or can he maybe be one of the principals remaining?  Will we ever hear about Nin'janjin, or was he lost to the ages? 

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2017, 09:13:57 am »
Yeah, I think "even mighty Likaro" was my favorite bit.

I sure am curious about where we go from here.  A few of the things I'll be most curious about going forward:

-What's the role for The Most Blessed Fraction, the character that you lot call Crabicus? 

-What's the role for Meppa?  I felt like when Meppa was introduced in WLW it had to portend something huge which, at least for TAE, turned out not to be the case at all.  Does RSB still have something big planned?  Will he remain the last Cishaurim?  One of my bigger disappointments in his role not escalating in the last two books was that I'd love to see the Cishaurim and the Psukhe explored a bit more.

-Given Zeum's presumably much bigger role in the next series will we also get more of a taste of the Iswazi?  I hope see.  I think Bakker's magic system is great, so throwing one more on the pile would be cool.

-How do the Nonmen re-emerge?  Did the Lord of Swans die in this book or can he maybe be one of the principals remaining?  Will we ever hear about Nin'janjin, or was he lost to the ages?

Per Bakker's AMA responses, nearly all of the above falls in the category RAFO...
Mystery denotes darkness

Likaro

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2017, 05:16:17 pm »
My one hope is that the new series are actually novels and that Bakker has more of a plan then he is letting on. If he starts winging it more and more I'm afraid of the results.

Didn't I read that Bakker might do them as shorter Atrocity tales? I don't like that concept because then we are going to get some really weird and confusing and extremely mysterious bits and bites.'

So lets hope Bakker serves the Srance fricassee whole.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2017, 01:24:40 pm »
My one hope is that the new series are actually novels and that Bakker has more of a plan then he is letting on. If he starts winging it more and more I'm afraid of the results.

Didn't I read that Bakker might do them as shorter Atrocity tales? I don't like that concept because then we are going to get some really weird and confusing and extremely mysterious bits and bites.'

So lets hope Bakker serves the Srance fricassee whole.

I don't know that I've ever seen that "shorter Atrocity tales" comment. Either in the recent Q&A here or in the AMA, Bakker mentioned envisioning them as a new version of the Sagas.

I probably should dig for it because this is the second time I'm mentioning it but Bakker has mentioned that he's had the last last scene and the last last line drafted for years now.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

solipsisticurge

• Momurai
  • There is a head on a pole behind him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2017, 07:12:23 pm »
I'm not sure Baker's shooting entirely blind (especially given Madness's above comment), so much as he's working off a much looser outline. Everything up to TUC was a matter of transferring the ideas, notes and progression to the page in the right artistic fashion; from here on he knows what's going to happen in broad strokes, but specific scenes and reveals are much more scarce.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

EDIT: just recalled his AMA comment on the last full-blooded Dunyain, which speaks to the opposite. Hmm.
Kings never lie. They demand the world be mistaken.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2017, 07:17:53 pm »
Given that at some point this was the ending I have to assume that some things that would have been in this series were moved forward to the next one, since I can't see him ending with so little about Seswatha, the Judging Eye, and the No-God unexplained.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2017, 01:43:36 am »
Bakker's never done himself any favours with his comments, especially as he's ignorant of the way we've parsed minutia over the years.

But... Bakker's been talking about TNG since TDTCB came out. It's certainly not a haphazard addition to the narrative.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

littlegrice

• Suthenti
  • Mandati
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2017, 08:50:24 am »
His comment on the last line of the book was referring to the Unholy Consult's end,  not the No-God. 
Well, he no talkie good like me and you, so his vocabulistics is limited to 'TELL ME...' and 'WHAT DO YOU SEE?' and, 'WHAT AM I?' Exclusively in that order.

Duskweaver

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2017, 11:17:36 am »
Certain entries in the EG imply that humanity, and even something recognisable as civilization, does somehow manage to survive System Resumption. The entry for the Letting, for example, could only have been written after someone who was present at the time got back to the Three Seas and told someone about it. And it seems unlikely that the in-universe compilers of the EG were writing all this stuff down during the Second Apocalypse.
"Then I looked, and behold, a Whirlwind came out of the North..." - Ezekiel 1:4

"Two things that brand one a coward: using violence when it is not necessary; and shrinking from it when it is."

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2017, 11:54:11 am »
His comment on the last line of the book was referring to the Unholy Consult's end,  not the No-God. 

If this was directed at my "last last" comments above, I'll have to go digging for you, littlegrice. I'm very careful about public admission on Bakker's behalf (because I'm just an inordinately involved fan) but I know that Bakker's had the final scene and line of TNG drafted for years. I don't like asking Q&A questions for personal fulfillment as I'd rather spend my answer-bucks on fan service so perhaps I'll ask him about the "last last" line and scene draft tonight.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer