Another forum - taking a moderate line is thread crapping...

• 17 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: June 03, 2013, 02:17:36 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
Had to bitch about the moderation on another forum (RPG.net). Had this thread where because of one table in an RPG that mentions wenching or getting married (from a male perspective), the poster said they hated it and that it was 'unwelcoming' which I teased out was code that if someone doesn't invite you, then they must automatically hate you.

Then someone else insisted you have to have gender neutral terms and I raised what about public toilets, are they gender neutral, or prisons? We have stuff in our society which has some segregation - if you support that society, you just can't on the one hand support segregation, yet condemn it at the same time. People in partially glass houses should be careful throwing stones, was my very line.

Got a thread ban for thread crapping.

I raised a trouble ticket there, that in part asked for an example of arguing for the moderate line that wouldn't be banned.

I dread to look at that ticket again, for the way they'll (I'm guessing) bur bur bur around, plumping themselves up, absolultely no movement at their core, no activity there that is introspection, only looking outward for a problem. Well, okay I'm guessing that, but the way people can just dodge a question - their capacity to just flaff out text and dodge it, it's just daunting!

Just disturbing their whole 'anti thread crapping' initiative - how its semantically ambiguous. Like it's supposed to be for things like 'Hey, I want D&D adventure ideas' and someone says 'don't play D&D!'. But how easily is it repurposed to simply stop anyone arguing with what the moderators no doubt agree with and don't really want to hear otherwise about.

Indeed even further back I was on a forum (sirlin.net) where the owner didn't believe in  censorship. But then one poster just keeps swearing over and over, and nastily. So the owner puts in a rating system, so people can downvote a post out of view. The next thing, I question his assumptions about a game he prizes (streetfighter), he's telling me he hopes my post should be down rated out of existance 'as it deserves'. Sorry, was I swearing like the person who triggered the entry of the rating system.

Just funny how quickly repurposed these powers become!

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 02:17:47 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
Masterful.

You play to our Bakker biases by using our in-group knowledge to facilitate agreement with your conclusions and sympathy for your wound.  Brilliant.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 02:17:53 pm »
Quote from: Madness
+1. Cheers, lockesnow & Callan. And you know what, I'm glad you felt that you could share this here.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 02:18:00 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
Masterful.

You play to our Bakker biases by using our in-group knowledge to facilitate agreement with your conclusions and sympathy for your wound.  Brilliant.
Whereas, yourself...

It depends on whether you square out some kind of space, four connecting lines in sand, within which someone moves you, rather than manipulates you.

Outside of that, here are my chess moves. Check that I have checkmate as I state I do. Or state you don't play chess or treat it as non applicable to the scenario. Don't play to Bakker biases to dodge saying 'congrats, within the ruleset you are accurate'.

As with most people, once you see the situation fully, you reject it whole heartedly. Again throwing away what you can see, and so remaining exclusively amidst what you can't.

Chess 'manipulates' someone to congratulate another person. What a brilliant maniplation of biases! Quick, don't play it! Don't congratulate! Don't agree! It's a tarp!...and stay amidst the unseen dark instead. Have no common ground that is seen by all!

Never bother to take how obvious I am in my movements, for anything but the keeness of your eye.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 02:18:30 pm »
Quote from: bbaztek
man ims o confused

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 02:18:37 pm »
I herp, therefore I derp.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 02:18:44 pm »
This time it's a striking attitude about standards.

So if todays standard said slavery was good, then it'd just be good?
Well... yeah, by the standards of society, that would determine what is good and what is not good.

I know, not terribly, directly book related. It's just that while some people might post pictures that make them go 'Whoa!', this is something that makes me go whoa! It'd be good if I could get a picture of it instead...or maybe it wouldn't...?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 02:18:51 pm »
Quote from: Ajokli
But slavery is still accepted in many societies including our own, so it is a good!

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 02:18:57 pm »
I combined these threads, Callan. I have no personal objections to you sharing your snapshot perspectives, however, these two topics were/are easily contained within one thread - if the conversation inspired by either original topic grows too big to share, I'll consider splitting them again.

In the second, I wonder which part makes you whoa. Is it that there are some who don't realize the way collective opinion shapes social and cultural standards? Unfortunately, every individuals circumstance and disposition is unique - some just don't share the mental evolution you have... nothing to ridicule, even if they might murder heretics like us simply for being a reflection ignorance doesn't enjoy.

The onus of relating is, sadly, on those of us who realize the gap.

I'm a wage slave - which is to say, a slave, no adjective necessary.

Damn you, Ajokli. I just want to +1 anything you write for John Phillip Law's face.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 02:19:04 pm »
Quote from: Ajokli
Damn you, Ajokli. I just want to +1 anything you write for John Phillip Law's face.

A perfectly normal feeling

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 02:19:11 pm »
How it's whoa is the thing - it's like suddenly skidding to a halt, finding oneself at the top of a cliff face. Less condemnation, more like terror! I guess if I had a continous grasp of people like this, I'd be prompted to write - however, they just pop out of the blue. Always fragmenatary and far between, no combining narrative suggesting itself. And I live in Australia, not America, and if such notions float around here, they keep themselves under the radar.

Ajokli's avatar is just so damn happy! He could be marching you into a volcano and it'd just be the greatest time!

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 02:19:18 pm »
Quote from: Callan
Always fragmenatary and far between, no combining narrative suggesting itself. And I live in Australia, not America, and if such notions float around here, they keep themselves under the radar.

You mean there are no vapid people in Australia? Or there is no slavery (wage-slavery exists everywhere in the Western Empire as far as I'm concerned, of which Australia is most definitely a part)?

I'm always curious... Just wondering after some clarity.

I'm so tempted to start coming up with things Ajokli's JPL could make me agree to:

Because all your base are belong to us, yes?
Because Trix are for kids, yes?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 02:19:25 pm »
There are no openings.

The exposing of the heart of why they are so. Someone like Vox (though he'll promply use arguement against him to to further flatter himself) seem to expose such regularly.

Here they talk about the football.

Sure, wage slaves, but without a heart to pierce, your grasping at ghosts and spectres.

Where does one aim the missile? Where?

I'll pay, I'm just too lazy to put a ton off effort into writing up tens of thousands of words to simply fire into the dark. Never mind if I just make up a strawman in doing so.

I just don't seem to be in target rich territory.

PS: Can you sneakily change Ajokli's rank to 'Koolaid!', just until he notices! It's just a great caption for the avatar! Go orrrn! Dew it!

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 02:19:34 pm »
It's on us to raise them up, Callan. Our fellow humans have been duped, their agency usurped by those already affluent with means. What do we consume, if not simply flashing trinkets and twinkling lights?

Consumerism: The use of feint and deceit to coerce humans into giving up the total banked and stored energy of their lives.

PS. Done until noticed.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 02:19:41 pm »
It's on us to raise them up, Callan. Our fellow humans have been duped, their agency usurped by those already affluent with means. What do we consume, if not simply flashing trinkets and twinkling lights?
Hmmm, problem is I guess I've been trying to (find ways to) make money from producing creative works. What am I without an opening then, but another dude looking for buttons to push and dials to turn on the potential consumer? Trying to mind hack my way in where no door has been opened for me?

Hmm, maybe I didn't fall in love with any particular genre and so can't just use that shared love as an already open door? Urg...sounds a bit Dylan like...  :shock:

Consumerism: The use of feint and deceit to coerce humans into giving up the total banked and stored energy of their lives.
Makes me think of...
Consumerism: The swazond upon the arms of capitalist moguls.

PS. Done until noticed.
Teheheheheh!