What you want to read this year - Totals and specifics

• 162 Replies

Garet Jax

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 07:02:43 pm »
Your least favorite character was the Mhybe, right?

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 12:01:04 pm »
Well I finished Dune this morning. Two words: Absolutely EPIC.

It was strange having seen the movies and talked/heard a lot about Dune overall as a series - I went in with expectations - which were exceeded. Can definitely see the structural influences Dune had on Bakker - the epilogues (often written retrospectively), small focused cast, thematic subtlety and underlying motives.

Definitely one of my favourite sci fi books of all time - so much depth. The Guild just showing up and their links with the spice and prescience is so well done. Alia and Chani are also two of my favourite characters and I loved the imagery with Alia.

Anyhow think this warrants me moving straight onto Dune Messiah tonight (which is quite a bit shorter than the 550 pages of Dune). Once again a great rec from this board!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 06:47:06 pm by SilentRoamer »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 01:53:48 pm »
No. Just no. Wanted her to die from her very first POV.

Anyhow think this warrants me moving straight onto Dune Messiah tonight (which is quite a bit shorter than the 550 pages of Dune). Once again a great rec from this board!
It most certainly does. Dune ends on such a high note, it would be hard to stop there.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Garet Jax

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 05:09:25 pm »
No. Just no. Wanted her to die from her very first POV.

Maybe her and Kallor could go on a date and get in a fatal car wreck on the way.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 02:44:07 pm »
Lol - SR, I love your scoreboard. I hope that you're straight on to Children of Dune at this point before you switch it up?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 02:50:49 pm »
Well I finished Dune Messiah last night.

(click to show/hide)

Okay - I was going to take a break and move onto some fantasy (Rothfuss, Abraham, Abercrombie being top of the list) however I think I will finish Children of Dune before I do and then I can stop at the halfway mark leaving myself 3 books to finish when I pick this series back up.

Making good progress on my yearly target - crazy we already almost 1/6th through the year!

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 04:35:13 pm »
I finished my first book goal of 2015, I finished the first volume of the complete Calvin and hobbes which I've had for years (!) And never got myself around to the pure pleasure  of enjoying it.  Next up working my way through the pile of magazines in my nightstand.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 05:57:28 pm »
I finished my first book goal of 2015, I finished the first volume of the complete Calvin and hobbes which I've had for years (!) And never got myself around to the pure pleasure  of enjoying it.  Next up working my way through the pile of magazines in my nightstand.

Respect.
No whistling on the slog!

Garet Jax

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2015, 05:19:22 pm »
Finished House of Chains last night.

I must say, it was another quality book from Erikson, although Deadhouse Gates remains my favorite so far.

I feel that Erikson took a step away from the style that he used for the first three books.  He started off the first quarter or so in a fashion that we have not seen from him yet, and I (pending a short reread of the ending) feel that he ended the book a little different with regards to where he packed in all of the action and resolution.

I think I can officially say that I have picked my favorite character in the series so far.  Kalam Mekhar.

Like I said before, I will take a break from Erikson for a bit, and then return once I have had time to stretch my brain on some other authors.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 06:59:23 pm »
I think I can officially say that I have picked my favorite character in the series so far.  Kalam Mekhar.

Kalam and Quick Ben were my favs.  They spawned many a D&D character homage over the years, along with Sorry.
No whistling on the slog!

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2015, 03:18:59 pm »
Well, its March and I've read 1 book. Just finished Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell.

Pretty good book, a bit slow at times, but a brilliant ending and amazing magic system.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Garet Jax

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 06:55:26 pm »
Just started The Blade Itself...  This one might be a slog for me, not quite sure if I like Abercrombie's style or not.

Let's hope I get into the characters more so I can ignore or look past that.

Garet Jax

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 04:32:34 pm »
Just started The Blade Itself...  This one might be a slog for me, not quite sure if I like Abercrombie's style or not.

Let's hope I get into the characters more so I can ignore or look past that.

Finished The Blade Itself this morning.

It ended up being a slog.  The characters ended up not being able to overpower my distaste for Abercrombie's writing style...

Looks like it is off to the spoiler boards for me to see where our beloved characters end up.

Maybe you were right, SR.  5 could have been a pretty weaksauce target, with all things considered.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 11:38:18 am »
Awww I am kind of disappointed you didn't enjoy it - seen as our tastes seem quite similar. Oh well I am starting it soon so will let you know my feelings.

Yes definitely weaksauce GJ. How about upping your target to ten? I think I will up mine to 25 to challenge myself as well. 5 more each! :)

Camlost

• The Ginger-Beard Wizard
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2015, 01:58:26 am »
So I didn't check if there was already a thread for what I posted, but SilentRoamer was kind enough to direct me this way. If I can pull off ten books I'd be pleased with that. This is what I'm hoping to get through:

Unfinished Tales by J.R.R. Tolkien
Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie
A Dance with Dragons by George R. Martin
Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence
The Dark Defiles by Richard Morgan
The Crippled God by Steven Erikson and maybe so Esslemont novels (It's about time I finished that series)
Last and First Men by Olaf Stapledon
A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking
The Birth of Classical Europe by Simon Price and Peter Thonemann

I also have two enormous tomes of Lovecraft and Poe short stories I'll be digging through

All the Dune talk is convincing me I should finally pull that one off my shelf and open it up