• 162 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: December 28, 2015, 09:55:01 pm »
Finished Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind.

Very good book, highly recomended. Middle third of the book was better than the other two, but still worth the read. Hopefully he finishes writing the last book at some point...
One of the other conditions of possibility.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 28, 2015, 10:03:32 pm »
I finished both of Rothfuss's books a month or so ago. Name of the Wind is definitely the better of the two, but I enjoyed both. Would recommend also. It seems the series that I really get into are the ones that are not finished.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 29, 2015, 02:35:57 pm »
I was really drawn into the magic system. Quite unique. Would like to see Kellhus do some Sympathy.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 06, 2016, 03:25:37 pm »
Thanks for participating everyone.

Some great comments and really great to see people read things they have been after for a while.

Well done to everybody who has hit their targets. New targets for this year to be posted later :)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #154 on: January 07, 2016, 07:49:55 pm »
So - do we make a new thread now?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 07, 2016, 08:34:39 pm »
Duh

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 07, 2016, 10:45:59 pm »
Guys, if you could name a series that reminds you most of TSA, what would that be? I mean has the same intrigue, tone and worldbuilding that can hook you the same way?
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 08, 2016, 02:14:41 pm »
Nothing really makes a good analogy that I have read.

Malazan's hundreds of thousands of years (+) of history makes TSA few thousand seem paltry. The sheer volume of characters and plots in Malazan is also way over what you get in TSA. That said, for some reason they give me similar vibes. Maybe because there is an enormous amount of unspoken information happening in the background that you only get to guess at until it comes to fruition. Its probably a close #2 to TSA for me, but they really aren't terribly similar .

I haven't done much reading of TSOIAF but GoT's politicking reminded me a bit of TDTCB in many ways. Sranc on the horizon and Sakarpus holding the wall against them, etc. There are some analogies to be found there.

Recently I read The Name of the Wind, and the main character is all super-genius like Kellhus, and the magic system is fairly unique and some oblique analogies to the Gnosis, but the comparison really stops there and isn't particularly strong.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just not well read enough to answer this question, but TSA is something you must experience on its own to really describe it. If you're looking for something to read with the same flavor, you might try some of the above, but they are poor substitutes.

Others constantly mention Blood Meridian as analogous to TJE, though I haven't read it so can't say why or if I disagree.
Madness often mentions The Tyrants and Kings trilogy by John Marco as feeling similar (maybe), but I again haven't read so can't disagree or otherwise.

Not sure if this topic ever came up with anything but have a look through:
Sci Fi series as good as The Second Apocalypse?

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 08, 2016, 02:40:15 pm »
I've read all of those besides Blood Meridian. I plan on giving it a try here soon. Yea, Malazan you get that dark backdrop with a lot of unknown's that make it similar. I see your comparison to ASOIAF, but, I've never felt the two anything alike. Kvothe is a Kellhus genius type, what I like more about that series is that he narrates it, and how much of what he says is entirely accurate.

With TSA it's just this great combination of intrigue, the tone, and characters I really, really care about. The world-building is fascinating, and I've never come across anything that does it all so well together like Bakker. And while I can get into other series out there, nothing has grabbed my imagination like TSA. Another thing that probably effects this is that the series isn't finished and it leaves us to this endless speculation. Huh, one day I guess I'll just stumble across something else that has the same effect.

Kind of a hard question to answer, appreciate your feedback Wlshire.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #159 on: January 11, 2016, 04:40:08 am »
In regards to Wilshire's "Duh," I'd really prefer if SR started the new thread.

But so far I've motored through Johannes Cabal: The Necromancer and Gates of Ivrel. I'll probably pick up JC: The Detective but won't likely continue the series after that. I will definitely be finishing The Morgaine Saga of which Gates of Ivrel is the first of four.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 05:01:31 am by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 15, 2016, 02:28:25 pm »
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful MSJ. If you find anything yourself, let me know :).

If you're looking for something that might have flavored TSA, Dune (especially the first couple books) is a good one to read through, and of course LOTR, if you have somehow managed to avoid reading it so far. Dark with brilliant writing, Perdido Street Station is a unique urban fantasy, but the similarities between the titles stop at the dark backdrop.

Make a new topic and maybe some more people will respond. This isn't really the correct topic to draw in those that might have a better answer.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 15, 2016, 03:24:45 pm »
No worries, Wilshire. I'll have to get caught up on these threads. I read about 20-30 books a year. And, I should make a rec thread, unless there is one. Which I'm sure there is.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 15, 2016, 04:58:08 pm »
Just make a new one. I'm sure its old and dusty.