H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 11:36:56 am »
I'm really excited for the second installment, but as much as I appreciated the main character, I found myself longing more for the secondary character (I can't remember his name right now) than the main. I'm equally interested to see where things go from here--the ending of Fifth Season that is--as I am curious to discover more backstory leading up to said events. Jemisin pulled off a really good bate for the next book in my opinion

Indeed, I have it preordered, so I hope maybe I get this one on the release date too.  I think you are talking about Alabaster.  I'd agree he is probably the most interesting character we're presented with, even though I know I am strange in that I usually dislike most characters in books I read.  This one was no exception.  I am really eager to learn more about stone-eaters though and things like the socket.  I'm a world-building junkie, to me that is the most fascinating part.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Hogman

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 08:03:06 am »
I heartily recommend Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. It's hard to categorise - somewhere between fantasy and sci-fi, although the sci-fi aspects are on technology that doesn't seem so far away anymore. Anyone who likes RPGs should love it.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 03:58:36 am »
I'm really excited for the second installment, but as much as I appreciated the main character, I found myself longing more for the secondary character (I can't remember his name right now) than the main. I'm equally interested to see where things go from here--the ending of Fifth Season that is--as I am curious to discover more backstory leading up to said events. Jemisin pulled off a really good bate for the next book in my opinion

Indeed, I have it preordered, so I hope maybe I get this one on the release date too.  I think you are talking about Alabaster.  I'd agree he is probably the most interesting character we're presented with, even though I know I am strange in that I usually dislike most characters in books I read.  This one was no exception.  I am really eager to learn more about stone-eaters though and things like the socket.  I'm a world-building junkie, to me that is the most fascinating part.

I'm with H, I think there is a ton of potential in the world-building side of things.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2016, 10:51:13 pm »
I have been hearing a lot of good stuff on Max Gladstone's, Craft Sequence. So, just wanting to know if any of you have read them and well, would you recommend them. Thanks
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,