Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« on: March 16, 2016, 03:09:42 am »
So things keep coming up and I need to post this.

Who has/hasn't read Glen Cook's The Black Company? Both Erikson and Bakker have cited him as an antecedent. Deadhouse Gates's Chain of Dogs is straight out of a couple paragraphs paragraphs in the first book and a number of Bakker homages have come up, including explicit reference to "thaumaturgical" magic a la Duskweaver speculation.

I had tried to read it a long time ago, and even more recently at Camlost's, but it's really gotten me this time 'round.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 06:09:03 am »
I have the first few on my Kindle. I got a few chapters in on the first book and liked it. Something, I don't know what, dragged me away from it. I do plan to getback to them one day though, I liked the writing and was intrigued by the magic and The Ten(?). I think I will like them, maybe I'll give them a go after the reread.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Camlost

• The Ginger-Beard Wizard
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 11:19:20 pm »
The first three books of The Black Company saga are amazing in my opinion. The following two are really good, but it started to taper off for me after that. I think it has to do largely with the narrator and narration. I found it easy to follow along with Croaker.
Both Erikson and Bakker have cited him as an antecedent.
Doesn't matter what order you read them in, once you've read both it is impossible not to recognize how much the Black Company inspired the Bridgeburners.
I liked the writing and was intrigued by the magic and The Ten(?)
As someone who typically craves systematic magic--else it become plot device--I absolutely loved Cook's ability to leave utterly everything unexplained but still manage to define just enough that the reader can easily delineate sorcerous rank where none is imposed. Example being, there is no doubt that the Ten Who Were Taken are unrivaled, and that he who "took" them is superior to them.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 11:59:13 pm »
Cmon don't do that. I've already got too many books to read.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 12:05:29 am »
Lol :).

I'll finish The Black Company over the next night or so and then probably go back and try and finish one of the three books I had stalled on the twoish weeks previous.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 09:53:06 pm »
The first three Black Company books and the Silver Spike are really good, and the first two books of the South are almost as good.  The rest aren't up to the rest of the series in terms of quality.  Cook's influence is absolutely clear on Erikson (who gives Cook multiple acknowledgements in his books) and present in Bakker and Martin.  Cook is the guy who brought armies of morally questionable soldiers fighting wars for even more questionable warlords to the center stage of mainstream fantasy.  In Dunyain terms, he prepared the ground for Martin.  The early books are definitely worth reading.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 03:18:27 pm »
Lol - I've only read Shadows Linger since my last post :'(.

Agreed on your points, CC.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer