[TGO SPOILERS] Momemn

• 75 Replies

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2016, 11:16:48 am »
The phrase "Such Power" is directed at Meppa.  Malowebi's hasn't matched his power against anyone at this point, merely defended himself, while Kellhus has been struck directly by Meppa's wrath.  Meppa is described in the text as "the last and the most brilliant expression of Psukhe".  He's literally the most powerful Cishaurim ever to live.  Given that passion is linked to how much Water can be born, yes Meppa's rage and grief are part of the reason he's so damn strong. 

Mog Kellhus

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2016, 03:38:29 pm »
Meppa has to be a survivor of the nine Incandati(sp) the most powerful of the Cishaurim Primaries.I guess we will find out in TUC since he is not dead yet...

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2016, 05:57:03 pm »
Yeah I agree with Cynical Cat. Especially since Malowebi had a moment where he apparently realized that all he had to do was add his voice to Meppa's and Kellhus would finally be over-matched. His indecision leads to his..."death"?

I thought all the Incandati were confirmed dead? If so, perhaps Meppa didn't used to be a primary (or at the least was a less powerful one), and the death of his family propelled him to new heights?

Monkhound

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2016, 06:16:34 pm »
Yeah I agree with Cynical Cat. Especially since Malowebi had a moment where he apparently realized that all he had to do was add his voice to Meppa's and Kellhus would finally be over-matched. His indecision leads to his..."death"

I suppose that's true, but I'm not entirely convinced. Rather than hide within the wards of a hesitating combatant, he could easily have teleported right behind Meppa instead and blasted him into hell. Instead, he pops into the Chalice and knocks down Malowebi and inspects the wards now receiving the full force of Meppa's assault:

Quote from: p.447
It was as if the sun itself crashed upon the Muzzû Chalice. Malowebi could hear nothing, but through the black gauze of his omba he could see him standing, Anasûrimbor Kellhus, more curious than alarmed, craning his head about to inspect the Ward that preserved him.

This is why I think the surprise is not so much directed at Meppa, but at the power of Malowebi's Zeümi (supposedly) Anagogic wards.
Cuts and cuts and cuts...

Mog Kellhus

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2016, 06:49:12 pm »
Seven Incandati were killed on screen,five by Kellhus one by Proyas and one by Yalgrota.It is possible that one of the last two survived somehow but Meppa could indeed be someone different.Kellhus is impressed with his power and he killed five of the most powerfull alone....What I don't get is why Fanayal told Malowebi that Meppa doesn't remember who he is while he very clearly remembers the murder of his family.....

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2016, 07:09:48 pm »
The only thing I could think of is that Meppa lied to Fanayal for some reason, although why that would matter I don't know.

Unless, and I am clearly indulging my bias here, Meppa wanted Fanayal and everyone to believe that he really was sent by the Solitary God, not simply on a path of vengeance, with no real mission from the God at all.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2016, 07:12:57 pm »
What Meppa tells Fanayal and what Meppa screams at the man he hates the most in the universe can be two different things.  He also might not have been lying.  He's clearly traumatized.  He might not really remember much of his life before his family was killed.  He's on his way to being an Erratic without being a Nonman.

Kellhous isn't fighting this fight for the quick win.  He's got it in the bag because as powerful as Meppa is Kellhous is the greatest Metagnostic Sorcerer alive.  He's methodically examining his foes and then dispatching them as he sees fit.  Even Meppa, for all his power, crumples the moment the Metagnosis is unleashed against him.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2016, 07:37:51 pm »
Well, I'll agree the Kellhus is almost never in any actual danger and is most probably simply toying with, and studying, both Meppa and Malowebi.  While Malowebi thinks he sees a moment where he could overwhelm Kellhus' wards in concert with Meppa (and maybe he actually could), I really doubt that they could actually kill, or even harm him.  What would stop him from noticing the wards beginning crumble and simply teleporting away?

Kellhus is pretty much undefeatable in any "conventional" way since he can simply be anywhere at any time.  He would have to be so overwhelmed in an instant that could both destroy his wards completely and deny him the time to teleport.  I don't think there is an sorcery that strong.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2016, 09:23:27 pm »
I still haven't totally drunken the "Kellhus is invincible " Kool-aid when he's proven fallible in so many other ways.

Seven Incandati were killed on screen,five by Kellhus one by Proyas and one by Yalgrota.It is possible that one of the last two survived somehow but Meppa could indeed be someone different.Kellhus is impressed with his power and he killed five of the most powerfull alone....What I don't get is why Fanayal told Malowebi that Meppa doesn't remember who he is while he very clearly remembers the murder of his family.....
He doesn't say he doesn't remember who he is. He says he doesn't  "know" who he is. In the context of him being a gift from the Solitary God.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2016, 12:53:50 pm »
I still haven't totally drunken the "Kellhus is invincible " Kool-aid when he's proven fallible in so many other ways.

That's fine, I didn't really mean invincible in total.  I just mean that in a toe to toe sorcerers battle, I don't think there is a real way to best him, since he can simply be elsewhere at a moment's notice.  This is why I think the Consult hasn't tried to battle him face to face, they seem more intent on trying to ruin his plans.  Their trouble is, just like us, it's not real clear to them exactly what those plans are actually.

Mog Kellhus

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2016, 07:11:39 pm »
I guess you are right,i just assumed he couldn't remember...oh well I guess it doesn't matter since Fanayal is dead.He also believed he was anointed by the Solitary God but he was certainly wrong,just another failed puppet of Yatwer.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2016, 08:31:41 am »
If he has to run a way, does it technically count as a victory in a toe-toe conflict?

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2016, 12:33:54 pm »
Kellhus is powerful, but sorcery is tiring and chorae are still lethal.   It doesn't matter to the Consult if her personally survives the wreck of his army if they can raise the No-God and crush human civilization.  Hell, they don't even have to kill him to win.  He can be one of the tiny number of survivors and they still win if they can shut the doors to heaven.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2016, 06:02:38 pm »
Malowebi thinks twice he is the balance to the contest.

Once when he could let his ward drop and once when he could add a cant to Meppa. I suspect both times he is wrong.

I've read the scene several times now, and I just don't like the overall tone of it. Kellhus laughing, making jokes, porting about , seemingly not taking the shortest path to defeating Meppa and Malowebi, punching the latter in the face but soft enough only to bust his lip. Then finally casting his big metagnostic cant, that disables Meppa in one shot. Takes out Malowebi in one shot.

Seemed like a bit too much posturing for me for their to be actually any real danger.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2016, 06:59:12 pm »
Malowebi thinks twice he is the balance to the contest.

Once when he could let his ward drop and once when he could add a cant to Meppa. I suspect both times he is wrong.

I've read the scene several times now, and I just don't like the overall tone of it. Kellhus laughing, making jokes, porting about , seemingly not taking the shortest path to defeating Meppa and Malowebi, punching the latter in the face but soft enough only to bust his lip. Then finally casting his big metagnostic cant, that disables Meppa in one shot. Takes out Malowebi in one shot.

Seemed like a bit too much posturing for me for their to be actually any real danger.

Kellhus was definitely toying with Meppa, yet recognized his power and that it could be a asset. Hence, not killing him. I really think the Chalice that Malowebi used was of great interest to Kellhus also. We will see it used by Kellhus in some manner in TUC. Maybe to protect Proyas or others who do not use traditional sorcery to aid them in some important mission.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,