[TGO SPOILERS] Head on a pole

• 82 Replies

Hogman

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« on: August 19, 2016, 10:19:46 am »
I'm not greatly interested in philosophy, so some of the things in Bakker's books go right over my head. The worst example of this was the whole "head on a pole" section. Can anyone give me any explanation of what it means?

Apologies if this has already been covered, I finished TGO last night and have only been through some of the old threads so far.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 05:10:28 pm »
I don't think we're really supposed to know yet. I doubt its resemblance to depictions of Onkis, the Goddess of Inspiration which comes before all thought, is coincidental though.

Francis Buck

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 02:26:49 am »
It's the darkness that comes before.

Gorgorotterath

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 03:47:27 pm »
Well the head on the pole could be Anarlû's

They did hoist Anarlû's head high,
and poured down its blood as fire,
And the ground gave forth many sons,
Ninety-nine who were as Gods,
and so bid their fathers
be as sons...

whoever Anarlû is

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 08:08:48 am »
It's the darkness that comes before.
So is Onkis.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 06:10:10 pm »
And it is kellhus version of samarmis. As the passage indicates, he's always had a second secret voice (Ala samarmis.)

Monkhound

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 09:26:10 pm »
And it is kellhus version of samarmis. As the passage indicates, he's always had a second secret voice (Ala samarmis.)

Which we know since Shimeh (TTT), when Kellhus tells his father. Moënghus then declares the trial has broken Kellhus and rendered him mad. Borrowed my book to a friend, so I can't quote it.
But I had not drawn the parallel with the Celmomas/Samarmas situation.
Cuts and cuts and cuts...

Onrack

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 01:51:52 am »
While I did notice the similarity with Onkis, it seems a strange choice if that's what it is. Onkis hasn't exactly been much of a focus. Outside of that scene in TDTCB, I think the name is only mentioned in passing

JRControl

• Momurai
  • Kellhus lied, Harambe died
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 02:04:03 am »
I thought it was related to some kind of tool for an anchoring effect like with Consult/Shaeonoara so the soul won't float away and be nom nomed by the hungry hungry Ciphos.
“Because you’re a pious man born to a world unable to fathom your piety. But all that changes with me, Akka. The old food pyramids have outlived the age of their intention, and I have come to reveal the new. I am the Slimmest Path, and I say that you are not damned.”

Mog Kellhus

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 02:38:37 pm »
Well since it's Iyokus who learned to Kellhus the Daimos the head could be a metaphor for Iyokus chanting while Kellhus explores the Outside.

Litgreg

• The Afflicted Few
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 04:37:26 pm »
I admit that given its proximity to the scene discussing Serwe's damnation, that I assumed the head was hers.

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 07:45:07 pm »
I personally think it's Onkis, as Kellhus later goes on to lament how despite all his achievements, he's still a slave to the circuit of cause and effect.

H mentioned on a cast recording that it's probably a sorcerous instrument keeping him grounded in reality while exploring the thousand hells.

I believe someone else suggested it might be a reference to your neural system - the head on a pole being your brain and your spine, just behind your face, as in everything you experience. Related to Bakker's Blind Brain Theory.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 07:46:45 pm »
I believe someone else suggested it might be a reference to your neural system - the head on a pole being your brain and your spine, just behind your face, as in everything you experience. Related to Bakker's Blind Brain Theory.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Geoffrobro - I promise I'll get that posted at some point but there's a background sound that's tripping up my limited audio editing skill-set.

I also suggested elsewhere that the head on the pole is "the reader" but that's out there.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 08:02:25 pm »
Doesn't Kellhus associate the secret voice in his head with the No-God?

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 08:12:30 pm »
Doesn't Kellhus associate the secret voice in his head with the No-God?

He says both the God and the No-God speak to him. But, I've always associated the Dreams he has of the ape-like figure/Kellhus to be from the No-God. Its even more confusing/ambiguous after TGO, methinks.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,