• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« on: July 28, 2016, 10:38:11 pm »
Previous ARC discussion thread by clicking quote tag:

... not Moenghus, not Cnaiur or some soul mash-up of the two.  He was, as he states, a survivor of the sorcerous battle in Shimeh and took the name of the cant that led to his family's death.

Just thought I'd prompting continuing this thread as I saw it had not been. Kudos again to Somnambulist who clued me into Meppa surviving the events at Momemn.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Cosi

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 11:22:56 pm »
Completely baseless Meppa speculation:

1. Child of Moenghus who was hidden away by his mother.
2. Skin-spy who turned against the Consult after getting a soul somehow.
3. Fane, reincarnated or just straight up immortal.
4. The man who will become the Solitary God.
5. No one special. Just some random guy with Cisharum training.

Some of these may have been suggested before. I hope at least one is new.

My money is on Moenghus being involved someone, even if he doesn't play a central role in Meppa's backstory. It seems unlikely to me that he would have had no contingency plan for not being able to persuade Kellhus (he must have at least suspect that Kellhus might side with the Consult).

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 03:25:54 pm »
Lol - not to go off-topic immediately but... Kellhus' conversation with Proyas actually implies that Moenghus the Elder genuinely wanted to stop the Consult from achieving their goal and that Kellhus' accusations against his father were, in fact, an error. So I'm quite happy to lay to rest that Meta-Moenghus theory (though, I won't put down Moenghus-Ascended).

Otherwise, I wonder what Meppa's purpose serves to Kellhus...

EDIT: Oh, and I think that Meppa is the Consult Kid from TTT, just to put that out there again.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Triskele

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Condouchioned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 03:28:13 am »
Madness - Part of why I can't get with that theory is the timeline just doesn't seem to work.  Meppa is described in WLW as having totally white hair which suggests he's not 30 or under, and he would have to be about 30 or under in the 2nd trilogy.

That said, I still think that scene with the boy at Shimeh has to be there for some reason.  I still think the likeliest explanation is that it's a quick hint about where chanv comes from. 

I admit I'm still surprised by the Meppa reveal that we seemed to have gotten which seems to be that he's a survivor of Shimeh and not a Moe machination or other theory.  And we also didn't seem to get anything about what the metaphysics of the Psukhe or the faith of the Fanim portend, if anything.  Obviously there's a chance we'll still get more in the next book.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 12:21:40 am »
Prediction, and I'm not going out too far in a limb here - Kellhus absolutely, 100%, has a use for Meppa. Wether to gather info on the Psûkhe or to use his massive amount of Water in the fight with the Consult. Or, my favorite, the other decapitant's head will be placed on the shoulders of Meppa.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 12:23:06 am »
Yeah he would be dead if he had no use.

Odium

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 03:56:04 am »
Maybe I missed something. Where is it confirmed that Meppa survived?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 03:05:32 pm »
Madness - Part of why I can't get with that theory is the timeline just doesn't seem to work.  Meppa is described in WLW as having totally white hair which suggests he's not 30 or under, and he would have to be about 30 or under in the 2nd trilogy.

Yeah - it's a wild thought on my part (in the ARC thread, there must have been at least a page of back on forth on the "probabilities of greying at a young age" ;) ).

I do wonder why Meppa wasn't then an active participant at Shimeh (considering that all those active Cishaurim at Shimeh are dead) and also separately that Cishaurim can apparently have "families."

Damnit, I really want more of Fanim belief to be fleshed out.

Maybe I missed something. Where is it confirmed that Meppa survived?

As Somnambulist, so keen-eyed, pointed out to me: the last we see of Meppa is from Malowebi's perspective before Kellhus chops him. Malowebi sees Meppa "lolling semi-conscious" on the debris behind Kellhus.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Onrack

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 10:00:12 pm »
My first thought was that Kellhus may want to study the Psukhe for some reason, but then it seems fairly self-explanatory, driven by passion and so on...It does seem odd to keep him alive.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 03:43:58 am »
My first thought was that Kellhus may want to study the Psukhe for some reason, but then it seems fairly self-explanatory, driven by passion and so on...It does seem odd to keep him alive.

Maybe he knew it was Moe (gray hair hmmmmmm). He came back to Kyudea after defeating the Cish at Shimeh, Whelmed Moe and sent him to the desert. Yessssss, the Moe=Meppa will be revealed in TUC. @Wilshire, the Moe theories will NEVER die!!!!
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Onrack

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 06:43:42 pm »

Maybe he knew it was Moe (gray hair hmmmmmm). He came back to Kyudea after defeating the Cish at Shimeh, Whelmed Moe and sent him to the desert. Yessssss, the Moe=Meppa will be revealed in TUC. @Wilshire, the Moe theories will NEVER die!!!!
Moe's totally dead bro, deader than Cnauir was until this book.

I can't imagine the Kellman not even saying a word to his pops while he was giving him the metagnostic beatdown.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 07:08:26 pm »
@Wilshire, the Moe theories will NEVER die!!!!

What is dead may never die!

Meta-Moë 2016, whoo!
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 07:49:16 pm »
Lmao.

Honestly, I'll say again - I was a huge proponent of the "there's more to Moenghus the Elder" theories, though I'm largely sated by Kellhus admitting to Proyas that he killed his father in error. Regardless, I am, in fact, still holding out for Moenghus-Ascended.

But I feel like if people were upset about Cnaiur as "possible fan-service," they are going to lose it if Meppa is Moenghus the Elder.

Lmao. Readers.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2016, 08:49:48 pm »

Moe's totally dead bro, deader than Cnauir was until this book.

I can't imagine the Kellman not even saying a word to his pops while he was giving him the metagnostic beatdown.

Cnaüir was totally dead too bro, since I've started to discuss these books. I just kidding to be honest, though. Moe may have ascended anthats who is in Kellhus's dreams, but yea, I agree he's more than likely dead.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2016, 11:54:02 pm »
Considering the power Meppa had with his hatred, Cnaiur would make Meppa's "deluge" look like a puddle.