The Prince of Nothing: TV series

• 135 Replies

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2016, 07:48:58 pm »
You're absolutely right that if the goal is to maximize the audience, live action is the way to go. The Inchoroi reveal alone would have the potential to blow people's minds.

I just think animation has the best chance of being something special that the book readers would want to own and come back to. MSJ I recommend checking out HBO's Spawn if you ever get a chance as it might change your mind. At the very least it's a recommendation that I think you would like it a lot.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2016, 08:53:32 pm »
You're absolutely right that if the goal is to maximize the audience, live action is the way to go. The Inchoroi reveal alone would have the potential to blow people's minds.

I just think animation has the best chance of being something special that the book readers would want to own and come back to. MSJ I recommend checking out HBO's Spawn if you ever get a chance as it might change your mind. At the very least it's a recommendation that I think you would like it a lot.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

For you Bolivar......anything! I will check it out and then post my thoughts.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2016, 01:54:38 am »
They haven't kept the essence of the characters and story.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2016, 11:34:35 am »
What station/studio would be best, or most likely to create this PoN series?
One of the other conditions of possibility.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2016, 02:06:29 pm »
Netflix, HBO, or Showtime. Pretty much guaranteed one of those three I think.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2016, 03:16:14 pm »
Starz might be a player, too.  Spartacus, Outlander, Black Sails, Ash vs. the Evil Dead... mash 'em all up, what do you have?

EDIT:  That was a joke. You don't get PON, but you do get a network willing to do genre, portray complicated, fucked (literally) characters and situations, and prove that they can run with the big kids.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 03:41:04 pm by Somnambulist »
No whistling on the slog!

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2016, 03:53:00 pm »
Right I forgot about Starz.

Honestly I think Showtime and perhaps even Starz might have recently surpassed HBO in quality. Not something I'd have expected to ever say.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2016, 07:17:44 pm »
What station/studio would be best, or most likely to create this PoN series?

I would love for HBO or Starz to bring it to life. Tjeyve done really well with these type of series and I've like nearly all of them. I still love a Lord of the Rings trilogy, I think that would be epic and would obviously bring Bakker the most exposure possible. There is nothing in PoN that I don't think adults wouldn't or couldn't handle. It seems the bleak, gritty worlds are becoming main stream. Rape? Not a problem. Race of Lovers? Not a problem. I do think that they would need to make a character of importance or two female though. Maybe Conphas, but I would make Xerius a woman.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Onrack

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2016, 11:50:47 pm »
Showtime has a terrible tendency of dragging it's shows on forever, and constantly interfering creatively. Homeland, Dexter and Weeds are good examples of that.
I'd be surprised if it were Starz, they tend to do things rather cheaply, don't think they have the budget.

HBO, could be. They definitely have the cash, and with Game of Thrones ending soon they may want another gritty Fantasy series to replace it.

It's also possible it could be one of the other, newer network and streaming companies making a big play, tapping that same dark fantasy vein. Netflix for example, or Hulu.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 11:54:08 pm by Onrack »

JRControl

• Momurai
  • Kellhus lied, Harambe died
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2016, 01:39:43 am »
I feel like Man in the High Castle by Amazon was done well enough. Also I want people who did Hannibal to work on it. I feel like their writing and directing team has the right stuff to tackle these themes.
“Because you’re a pious man born to a world unable to fathom your piety. But all that changes with me, Akka. The old food pyramids have outlived the age of their intention, and I have come to reveal the new. I am the Slimmest Path, and I say that you are not damned.”

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2016, 05:13:16 am »
Showtime's version of the Borgias was great and cancelled too soon. I actually thin in a post GoT world the rape stuff is more of a draw than a negative. It's the themes and cast and scope that are a problem. Brace yourself for an entirely new Thunyeri Shieldmaiden character.

JRControl

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2016, 05:45:08 am »
Was that the one with Jeremy Irons? Bloody good call, I want him as something too. Old Moe perhaps or one of the Scarlet Spires.
“Because you’re a pious man born to a world unable to fathom your piety. But all that changes with me, Akka. The old food pyramids have outlived the age of their intention, and I have come to reveal the new. I am the Slimmest Path, and I say that you are not damned.”

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2016, 06:09:28 am »
Yeah the Jeremy Irons one. It was great. Much better than the Netflix version. I was disappointed it was cancelled. Jeremy Irons would be a fantastic Eli.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2016, 02:13:48 pm »
Lol - I'm not around for a week and there are like... whole threads at multiple pages that I've never read :o. Strange times. Apologies for the post size:

I'm not confident in Bakker's (or his agent's) contract negotiating skills, based on how botched his Overlook books have been through the years, and how terrible the rollout of TGO has been in Canada (still not in the shelves as of this posting, even though its been out for 3 months).

Still haven't seen it on a shelf... in Canada. Thankfully, I just drove all the way to Ohio with Camlost just to get a copy ;).

- How do you present Kellhus POV? With voice-overs? Sherlock-esque text overlays? Just great acting?

The bold, hopefully ;). And skillful writing, maybe?

Most rights deals involve some money changing hands just for sitting on the rights.  So Scott got paid even if they end up doing nothing with it.  Now it won't be big Hollywood money (that might happen if they make a series and it is successful), but it will be real money.  A lot of these things end up never getting made, so don't get your hopes up yet, but this is an entry in the plus column on whether or not Scott can continue to be full time writer and support his family.  Even if no series comes of this, it is a good thing.

I'd almost prefer if he was just paid for options over and over again indefinitely.

However money in Bakker pocket means easier life finishing the novels, so it does have an upside.

+1

Prince of Nothing just doesn't have the soapy elements required, unless they drastically re-write this stuff.

The first time I tried reading ASOIAF, I put it down in the middle of ASOS because I felt it was basically a soap-opera in a fantasy setting and I was having none of it (I've since decided I want to try again at some point).

No writing it properly is going to be a concern.

+1

Given the long scope of the story, I think three 10-episode seasons on something like HBO (or even Netflix) would be perfect to cover the PON trilogy.

You got any thoughts on pacing? TDTCB especially doesn't lend itself well to being broken up in to ten episodic arcs but also TTT doesn't even seem like a full season. You could really play up the Consult aggression against Kellhus in TTT, utilize more on-screen time with the Synthese and Cnaiur, maybe, maybe (!), make the battle at Joktha a climatic mid-season battle (and fucking Joktha... is like the Vietnam of Earwa).

Cartoons only have to be for children as long as people expect cartoons to be for children. There are counter examples. Despite being based on a comic book, HBO's animated Spawn was not only great, it's something most children should probably never be allowed to watch.

+1

Bolivar brings up Spawn later and it's a damn, damn shame that it seems to be one of the only examples of NA adult animation (though, Sausage Party seems to be opening eyes to the possibility again).

TSA will never be mainstream without losing everything that makes it good in the first place.

I think there's room to be authentic to the story.

If not, then more to my point - TV/Film adaptations are NOT for the book fans.

Yeap, +1.

I think this thread took an odd turn. To try and change the topic to something more constructive:

What would you do to adapt TSA into a TV series? How far would season 1 go? How many seasons total?

What would you take out of TDTCB to make it more filmable, or more palatable to the audience - to keep them hooked from the start?

You tried ;).

Back to PoN: As a compromise on the animation issue, how would folks feel about CG? Think Beowulf.

Never even watched it because I thought the CG overlay was awful.

+1

Starz might be a player, too.  Spartacus, Outlander, Black Sails, Ash vs. the Evil Dead... mash 'em all up, what do you have?

EDIT:  That was a joke. You don't get PON, but you do get a network willing to do genre, portray complicated, fucked (literally) characters and situations, and prove that they can run with the big kids.

Lol - I haven't watched any of the newest season of Black Sails or any (!!) of Ash vs. the Evil Dead, though I followed io9's review series. I need to take that time.

I feel like Man in the High Castle by Amazon was done well enough. Also I want people who did Hannibal to work on it. I feel like their writing and directing team has the right stuff to tackle these themes.

Damn, this is another one I've been meaning to watch. Was it good, JR?

Yeah the Jeremy Irons one. It was great. Much better than the Netflix version. I was disappointed it was cancelled. Jeremy Irons would be a fantastic Eli.

I'm almost positive he was brought up in the Film thread as Eleazarus or Iyokus.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 02:15:27 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

JRControl

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2016, 10:10:19 am »
The plot is a bit meandering, but I have always been a sucker for alt-historical settings. Even so, some of the actors are terrific and I like what the show tries do, show the implications of different courses history could have taken.