Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2017, 04:53:57 pm »
There is a marked change of quality - for better or worse, depending on the reader - in God-Emperor of Dune. There's also a large time gap between COD and GED.

I personally enjoyed GED, but if I recall Wilshire thinks that #4 is a drop in quality, though he likes #5 and #6. It pays to remember, I think, that the first three books were actually released as serials in SF mags, not read in novel form like we do. GED was the first in the saga that was written as a complete novel.

To each their own, of course.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2017, 05:41:11 pm »
I just finished the third book (Children of Dune) I felt I kind of lost interest by now because I don't really connect with any of the characters and the motives behind Letos actions completely elude me. Dunno, I feel like 'the hassle' involved in reading and understanding complex books isn't compensated for in the Dune books by having an amazing story (and other qualities) that Bakker's works have. It also might be that I don't really like Sci-Fi. It just feels kind of cheesy. I did some readings on wikipedia and apparently Leto turns into a sandworm (say whaaat). Is it worth to keep on reading when I really lost interest reading the third book? I feel like such a pessimist haha
If you are going to read it through to the end, then I'd say read God Emperor is worth it. If you are pretty much disinterested at this point, I don't know if its worth you continuing reading.
The series ends on a bit of a sour note as Herbert really died before he was finished with it, so it doesn't really wrap up in a satisfying way.

If you've read Dune and Dune Messiah, you've gone far enough for the sake of the story/writing. Is there more story? Yes. Is it worth it? Not if you don't like it up through this point. I, personally, loved the last couple books. Children and God Emperor were just ok for me, but I'm glad I read it through.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2017, 06:24:40 pm »
Agreed - if you're losing interest now, then don't bother. God Emperor was my favorite, but haven't read Chapterhouse yet ( not sure why, guess derailed by other stuff ). But I loved all the first 5 ( I would rate 5 as my least favorite, but still liked it a lot ).
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 07, 2017, 07:45:55 pm »
I really like 5 and 6 some some reason. I think I liked the change of pace - its almost the start of an entirely new series. And Teg. Miles Teg is awesome.
Maybe I just enjoy aliens aliening around - and there is a bit more of that in Heretics and Chapterhouse.

Oh, in GED you find out why Leto did what he did. Though, I fear you'll not be terribly interested in it lol.

Jackehehe

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2017, 05:55:08 pm »
Thanks for the input everryone! Right now im re-reading bits and pieces of the second apocalypse to keep myself occupied until july. We'll see how long that lasts and then I guess I might pick up on the books again. It feels kind of bad to stop in the middle of the series

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2017, 06:52:51 pm »
Thanks for the input everryone! Right now im re-reading bits and pieces of the second apocalypse to keep myself occupied until july. We'll see how long that lasts and then I guess I might pick up on the books again. It feels kind of bad to stop in the middle of the series
Nah, don't feel bad. My rule is to give a series 1 book. Granted, that's largely because I was a bit shaky on TSA through about 3/4 of TDTCB, but whatever. A book should capture you, imo. In a series, it should be every book If you don't like it, don't keep reading the series.
There is far too much to read to waste time on a whole series that you don't like.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 09, 2017, 08:40:03 pm »
Well said - I was 200 pages into American Gods and just quit, wasn't my thing, quite boring with no mystery for me ( which is odd since I liked The Sandman comics so much ).
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Hiro

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 09, 2017, 09:58:32 pm »
Well said - I was 200 pages into American Gods and just quit, wasn't my thing, quite boring with no mystery for me ( which is odd since I liked The Sandman comics so much ).

Funnily enough, the bits I liked best about American Gods were the quiet parts.
Mystery denotes darkness

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 10, 2017, 12:38:29 pm »

Yeah, I found American Gods quite boring and forgettable.  I read the whole thing, but damned if I can recall more than the slightest bit.

I felt the same way about Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, which was a fantastic book style-wise but horrendous to me plot-wise.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 11, 2017, 12:38:18 pm »

Yeah, I found American Gods quite boring and forgettable.  I read the whole thing, but damned if I can recall more than the slightest bit.

I felt the same way about Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, which was a fantastic book style-wise but horrendous to me plot-wise.

I actually liked the book,, as its fresh in my mind. Gaiman isn't knocking my socks off with the prose or anything. But, its a decent enough story. As I just read it, the series makes plenty of sense and they're following the book pretty closely.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 11, 2017, 01:47:34 pm »
I actually liked the book,, as its fresh in my mind. Gaiman isn't knocking my socks off with the prose or anything. But, its a decent enough story. As I just read it, the series makes plenty of sense and they're following the book pretty closely.

I'll probably watch the show eventually.  Just low on free time, as per the norm.

I'll probably enjoy the show more than the book, really, which would probably be a first.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira