[TUC Spoilers] Nirimenes?

• 4 Replies

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« on: May 02, 2018, 04:32:03 pm »
When working on the wiki's character list a while back, I came across this entry in the TUC glossary:

Nirimenes (4078-)-Ordealman and sorcerer-of-rank in the School of Mandate.

The thing is, this character doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere else outside of the TUC glossary. Since admittedly I might have missed it due to, you know, making a character list via actual physical books, I tried to use Google and the only results were the entry that I quoted above and the character list in the TSA wiki.
Who is this character, then? Did I just miss him being mentioned? Was he included in a scene that was later cut from the book or something?
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 04:57:40 pm »
Did I just miss him being mentioned? Was he included in a scene that was later cut from the book or something?

No, you didn't miss anything and there isn't a mention of that name anywhere else.

My guess is that he was in a scene that got cut.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 05:28:01 pm »
No, you didn't miss anything and there isn't a mention of that name anywhere else.

I seem to recall a scene of the Mandate Schoolmen and Swayali witches thinking they were Seswatha being mentioned as cut from TUC, now that I think more about it. It fits, since this Nirimenes character is apparently a Mandate Schoolman...
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 12:11:07 pm »

I seem to recall a scene of the Mandate Schoolmen and Swayali witches thinking they were Seswatha being mentioned as cut from TUC, now that I think more about it. It fits, since this Nirimenes character is apparently a Mandate Schoolman...

In the manuscript there was a fair bit more about the Mandate. I suspect he was mentioned in there.

Its worth noting that the cutting of scenes was done very poorly. They cut out whole paragraphs/sections sure, but they left references to the removed scene in later parts of the book. Not just in the text, but the glossary as well. This is probably another sad example of that.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 12:43:56 pm »
In the manuscript there was a fair bit more about the Mandate. I suspect he was mentioned in there.

Its worth noting that the cutting of scenes was done very poorly. They cut out whole paragraphs/sections sure, but they left references to the removed scene in later parts of the book. Not just in the text, but the glossary as well. This is probably another sad example of that.

It does seem to be the case.

You're absolutely correct there, which is indeed sad. I enjoyed TUC as a whole, and there were some very good scenes, but the editing was just...poor. Look at all the mistakes and inconsistencies I've found in that book alone.