What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #210 on: June 02, 2013, 02:29:52 pm »
Quote from: sciborg2
Story 161 Nov 27

The moon was made of cheese, for 600 years during the time of the dinosaurs....

If I can believe, I can make peace with my family. If I can believe, I will be saved.

Why God? Why do I doubt your holy revelations? I kneel before your altar, I fast, I take up the scourge against this rebellious shell...

The moon was made of cheese, for 600 years during the time of the dinosaurs....

/Story

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 02, 2013, 02:30:00 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
The moon just made us, as tiny scuttling monkey rats and the dinosaurs, believe that.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 02, 2013, 02:30:10 pm »
Story 162 Nov 28

My hands are a vice locked tightly 'round my brother's throat, my weight keeping his youthful locks below the surface of the river.

I'm wild with rage, and so at first I don't know notice the smile on the face of my wife's murderer.

He's laughing. Under the water, he's laughing as he dies.

He knows the kinslayer is damned deeper than a man who kills a woman who doesn't share his blood.

I should let go, I should save myself, but when my fingers begin to slacken I hear my lover's laughter, see the tear worn eyes of my children.

My hands are a vice, locked tightly 'round my soul....

/Story

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 02, 2013, 02:30:19 pm »
And...it is done...

http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/callan-s/novels/jane-s-game-wolf-mist-working-title/stats

Saajan, does that story tie into Earwa? It sounds like objective morality and the gaming of it.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 02, 2013, 02:30:27 pm »
More freestyle than anything, but looking back it does seem like a mash of GRRM and Bakker...

Congrats on Nanowri Callan. I'm still reading Francis's book, but once I'm done with that I'll move on to yours.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 02, 2013, 02:30:35 pm »
Story 163 Nov 29

Grandmother grabs my arm just as I stand up from her bedside.

"You think they are rebels, that they offer freedoms long denied to...ones such as you.

I know you have it hard, but I beg you to see - the demons won't stop with our bigotries.

They'll drag it all down and dance in the ruins. Can you see that? Can you wait a little longer for freedom?"

How did she know? How long had she known?

I want to sneer, to cry, to ask questions and to lecture. To tell her what it's like to drown every gods damnd day of your life. When my lips part I could almost believe fire would pass between them...but then nothing.

No fire. Not even words are carried on the back of my exhalation.

An invisible stone is lodged in my throat and it is all I can do to breathe, let alone speak.

Wait? Wait?!

Instead, as tears fall from my eyes I take her hand in mine as I lie with a nod and a smile.

/Story

Story 164 Nov 30

Inside they are as beautiful in the fallen world as they were on the other side of the Veil, their souls still shine with unseen light....

I loved them, I remember loving them, I want to love them here....but their flesh....it's as human as mine.

Once upon a time their beauty would have upturned the air from your lungs.

But here...

/Story

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 02, 2013, 02:30:42 pm »
Congrats on Nanowri Callan. I'm still reading Francis's book, but once I'm done with that I'll move on to yours.
How'd you get to read Francis's book? Did I miss a link? And GRRM - I've only read the first book - it has some sort of damnation mechanism in the series? I guess I would be surprised, but then TDTCB didn't exactly have gods abounding in the first book either.

Currently my own writing is...not sequentially written. I gave up on sequential after about the third day, writing a series of events with no definate chronological order. Ends up more like a documentary that you pat into a story structure afterward. Still need to catalog all the entries, figure an order and intermingling. I wrote a hell of alot of scenes with their start but no ending - I left that till latter. It was strangely fruitful in discovering I needed to do that atleast for the word count. It's like I left the endings entirely to my muse, instead of demanind X amount of word count.

Did end up hovering it around 'Wolf mist' - you know the old idea of mist that turns you inside out if you touch it (or maybe that was just on a Simpsons haloween episode). Wolf mist instead makes you go from free will to behaviourally diverse. Occasionally the effect is permanent, making it this existential terror. I'm not sure if my book is set in our world or not.

Thanks for the congrats - the thing was crazy!

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 02, 2013, 02:30:50 pm »
Oh, Francis emailed it to me.

I think writing passages is a good way to go about it, so long as one has the characters get to those future points naturally.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 02, 2013, 02:30:57 pm »
Story 165 Dec 1

Have to sleep. Have to. But stripping, blow jobs, anal, lesbians, threesomes, just-turned-18...all so dull.

Nothing produces a rise.

I slip my hand under my boxers and think of cartoons and werebeasts and hope for the best...Hell, I'm practically praying...

/Story

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 02, 2013, 02:31:05 pm »
Quote from: Francis Buck
Awesome work on finishing your NaNoWriMo Callan, that's an accomplishment in and of itself. I'd definitely be interested in checking it out. I actually enjoy the editing process about a trillion times more than the "getting it all down" phase. At least in most cases, anyway. With Perennials right now it's kind of a struggle, more just because I really want to move on to bigger and hopefully better things, but I'm determined to get at least one more good draft in.

Speaking of which, I'd rather you just wait until I finish the draft I'm currently on. The old parts are still so messy and awkward. I'm working pretty steadily on it now though so god willing I should have a new draft early in the New Year. Regardless, your interest is noted and much appreciated. ;)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 02, 2013, 02:31:12 pm »
Story 166 Dec 2

I know this isn't real, this is just infatuation. I know this, but I can't seem to rationalize may way out of this need.

I tell myself there are prettier women, I try to enumerate her flaws physical and behavioral, yet the noose on my neck makes me want her, like some branch in my future possibilities promising me a love so deep it can heal my wounds.

And it's not me, at least not present me, that reaches out to touch my keyboard and asks this near stranger to be my friend on facebook....

/Story

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 02, 2013, 02:31:20 pm »
Story 167 Dec 3

My lips find purchase on the skin of her neck even as the Lysol floats into my nostrils and the taste begins to burn in my through.

I want to gag, but my own burgeoning hardness stops me.

More importantly, I feel the first tinkles of moisture between her legs.

But even as relief floods me, I wonder if we've finally found our floor. I can live with spraying our bodies with cleaning products. (I think.)

But I'm afraid this is one more fast burning ember...

/Story

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 02, 2013, 02:31:29 pm »
Story 168 Dec 4

It's Fall in name only, and for some kids its still Summer I bet but for us it's not only September - we're also back in School.

Everyone is grinning, and giving Jack high fives. Lost in virginity on the fourth of July to some off duty soldier he met at a bar. The "serving my country" jokes just keep coming.

Jack's got a shit eating grin on his face, describing soldier-boy's abs and armament.

I do my best to not look crestfallen, seeing I'm not even out yet. Not that I'm ashamed, I'm just waiting for the right time....

I make an excuse of running to bathroom, just need to get my head straight. Jack's not a virgin anymore.

I thought Jack was waiting for marriage, or at least a civil union.

I thought Jack was waiting for me.

/Story

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 02, 2013, 02:31:41 pm »
Quote from: Francis Buck
Well they finally announced winners of the contest and unfortunately I was not among them. I was of course a little disappointed, but not at all surprised considering the situation. I'm just happy to actually KNOW so that I can move forward with submitting it elsewhere -- but first I'm going to edit it for realz. Aside from the very beginning, the story has only had one pass through (which I did fast and furiously on the final day of submissions), and I haven't even read the damn thing since June. The first place I'm going to submit to is probably Lightspeed, but I'm going to try and gather up a list of decent places while also looking for more contests. I'm not sure if I really want to go the contest route again, or just try submitting to magazines/websites directly, or both. The other problem is that Lightspeed only accepts works of 7,500 words or less, and mine is just under 8,000, so I need to do some significant cutting if I want to submit there (which will be tough, because I also want to add more to the ending, which I think is rushed and in general just kind of wraps up too quickly). I'm not sure which parts I'm going to cut...probably some stuff from the middle and the beginning, plus just a general cutting of fat from the prose. I haven't even started looking at places for submission, so I'll be checking out sci's thread on Westeros for sure.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 02, 2013, 02:31:48 pm »
Story 169 Dec 5

Micro Centurion plunges through my sternum, popping out of my back. The sound makes me think of ground meat thrown violently on the ground.

Why would I think that? Is that me from another life, or someone else? Who would throw ground meat on the ground?

Was that from before the Universe was rewritten for the billionth time?

I spiral downward, my cape twirling and tangled. It won't last. Death. It's only temporary for people like me.

I connect head first with the asphalt dirtied by the footprints of lesser mortals.

It sounds like a skull hitting stone fast enough to crack. I don't need to reach for analogy. This I remember from my last death.

It was the first thing I recalled after my last resurrection.

/Story