mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2014, 11:36:08 pm »
Nah, MG. Too soon. TUC is going to be like the latter third of TWP. All Caraskand, Consult-style. I am pretty much convinced that Dagliash will be taken with nary a loss... and then.... the Consult will strike. Especially because:

Helm's Deep, Rohirrin, Gandalf/Daglish, Nonmen Chariots, Achamian is simply too juicy a trifecta for Bakker to pass on ;).

That's wonderful!  If this happened, it would set up some max dramatic tension for the showdown outside the Ark.  Great Ordeal barely escapes with help of Chariots, too weak to attack Golgotterath, too far from home to turn back.

Sounds like its shaping up to be EXACTLY like LOTR: Great Ordeal becomes the decoy like Aragorn and Co so that Frodo/Kellhus can throw the ring/[what] into mount doom.

With the help of Sam/Akka.  :)

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2014, 01:57:47 pm »
I'm sure Bakker needs help in figuring how to end his story, so I'll help a brother out ...  :P

My money is on the Dunyain - they're going to open up a can of whip-ass after the Consult defeats Kellhus, and then they bring Kellhus in for reconditioning ( read: punishment ) to avert this "Blip" in their designs ... or perhaps simply a debriefing with this whole story just being part of his path to become truely self moving. Keep in mind, there's an entire society of Kellhus' hanging around.

Or I could be completely off and they ship Aka packing deeming outside affairs a tedius distraction ( or even better, commit him to the chain gang of defectives - where students can learn how to immune themselves to socery by reading the muscle reflexes involved with cants ).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 01:59:43 pm by TaoHorror »
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2014, 03:51:06 am »
I'm sure Bakker needs help in figuring how to end his story, so I'll help a brother out ...  :P

My money is on the Dunyain - they're going to open up a can of whip-ass after the Consult defeats Kellhus, and then they bring Kellhus in for reconditioning ( read: punishment ) to avert this "Blip" in their designs ... or perhaps simply a debriefing with this whole story just being part of his path to become truely self moving. Keep in mind, there's an entire society of Kellhus' hanging around.

Or I could be completely off and they ship Aka packing deeming outside affairs a tedius distraction ( or even better, commit him to the chain gang of defectives - where students can learn how to immune themselves to socery by reading the muscle reflexes involved with cants ).

*whistles* I HAD NEVER THOUGHT OF THIS ENDING!!!

Kellhus defeating the Consult is just the midpoint of TUC, the next fight is corralling Kellhus!

Also love your notion about becoming immune to sorcery through reading faces, I don't know how it would work, but it sounds damn cool.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2014, 02:21:55 pm »
Also love your notion about becoming immune to sorcery through reading faces, I don't know how it would work, but it sounds damn cool.

It'd be like reading lips - or what Kellhus does anyways. Every word, expression, and probably thus much emotional and thoughtful content, generally and specifically, can be read by "expressive signatures" (there is a word for this and probably one I learned in the past semester but my brain is broken today :) ). Oncoming sadness vs. the muscle positions of the throat, lips, nose before the Weara Comb or another Cant probably wouldn't be that difficult for a full-blooded Dunyain to anticipate.

Kellhus defeating the Consult is just the midpoint of TUC, the next fight is corralling Kellhus!

I like these thoughts because they mirror the change in tenor that accompanies Dune into what might be considered Act III:

(click to show/hide)
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2014, 10:31:40 pm »
Madness, I think I'd be more inclined to agree with you about

(click to show/hide)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2014, 03:16:16 pm »
Bakker plays it close to the chest - I'm expecting to be surprised.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer