Serwe: The horns...but I haven't heard the horns...

• 17 Replies

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 01:40:09 pm »
I find it interesting how the readers seem to get caught up in Kellhus' deception of divinity at roughly the same pace Kellhus does.

That is noteworthy. lockesnow has slowly eroded any thoughts I had towards Kellhus' infallibility.

At that stage in his existence, Kellhus talks to people the same way you'd put coins in a vending machine. It's simply an action meant to trigger a desired conditioned response.

+1.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 05:33:19 pm »
I find it interesting how the readers seem to get caught up in Kellhus' deception of divinity at roughly the same pace Kellhus does.

Cool--did not notice that before

Frail

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2017, 12:43:21 am »
I do like this idea, but I assumed this scene with Serwe was a way to show the progression of time, how the characters have gotten used to the basic routines of the great host's migration.

I think its easy to say two hundred thousand people marched south towards Shimeh, but this is one of those small details that grounds the book so well. It's not just a cute relatable moment with Serwe waking up before an alarm clock like many of us do. I also like ending a chapter or a scene with some greater event (horns in the distance, host will now move,) moving the plot forward. At least in my mind I see people already starting to decamp and take down the tents.