• 65 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 11:43:46 pm »
Quote from: Mog Kellhus
1. The plot. It is simply a fascinating and well thought story with many layers. A great combination of The Lord of the Rings and Dune with the addition of Bakker's perverse imagination of course!! Five books in and  still most of the mysteries are unsolved allowing us to develop many interesting theories.

2.The characters. Sure not all of them are interesting but i think Kellhus and Cnaiur are among the most fascinating characters in the genre. Achamian, Conphas , Mimara and Cleric are some of my favourites

3. The world. Earwa is my favourite fantasy world hands down. Only Middle Earth compares with it but i find the history and the darker tone of Bakker's world more compelling.

4. The prose. Just wonderful , with vivid descriptions, and it gets better with each new book.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 11:43:52 pm »
Quote from: Bastard of Godsgrace
World building comes first for me. Bakker's world is incredibly complex, its long history is very wel conceived, it feels truly lived in and, well, real.

Secondly, language. His languages are not just poorly masked English or meaningless gibberish, like in most of fantasy. They are obviously foreign, but also logical and consistent. In this regard Bakker is second only to Tolkien in the whole genre.

Thirdly, philosophy. Like it or not, most genre still remains shallow entertainment. Bakker not only doesn't avoid deeper concerns, but puts them in the very center of his story which makes him unique, at least in the epic fantasy subgenre.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 11:43:57 pm »
Quote from: Conditioned
I might be alone in this as I never really see it talked about but the tragedy of Akka and Esme throughout PoN is probably the most heart-breaking relationship I've ever read in fantasy. Every single time I read the scene of Akka coming back from the dead I get sort of depressed in RL. Maybe I just need some therapy, LoL.

The way these books reward rereading. I have read PoN at least 5-6 times and each time I gain a little more insight into what the fuck you smarty-pants people are yammering about all the time on these boards. I mean, was I the only one with no background in philosophy whatsoever prior to TSA? I made it through high school and two years of college without really even getting the opportunity to take a class on philosophy. Granted, I am from the south and there is only one book to most people down here.

The mystery. Mr Bakker is truly an expert at the slow reveal. I have so many freaking questions about his universe, yet I still feel like I understand enough that it is an almost perfect metaphor for our own. The difference is that that Canadian bastard has the answers to all my questions and I only have to wait a few years and they will be adequately answered, I hope.

I guess my final favorite thing about TSA is that it is the only SFF I've ever read that has made me feel like I've walked away with a different perspective. I have learned while reading this series, which is something that I consider as a real reward. Do I love Martin? Sure, who doesn't, but do I learn from Martin? Not really, I am only entertained by his work. Bakker teaches me. He Conditions.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 11:44:02 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
I gain a little more insight into what the fuck you smarty-pants people are yammering about all the time on these boards. I mean, was I the only one with no background in philosophy whatsoever prior to TSA?

Haha I used to feel exactly this way, especially over on TBP before this site was up. Its best to just jump in and comment, submit your own opinions and feelings and defend them. Its how ideas are fleshed out and how theories are developed. Being forced to defend your own ideas and opinions is what takes a basic formula and turns it into a complex theory. Most of the stuff here has grown organically this way.

If no one took the time to argue around here, it would get rather boring. I gotta be honest, when lockesnow didnt comment for a week or two I got rather bored. Who else was I supposed to argue with?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 11:44:13 pm »
Quote from: Madness
I'm pretty committed, emotionally. I've cried over many books and many times over Bakker's books. Achamian and Esmenet's relationship resonates with many guys, I think, simply because being betrayed by a hot woman is a pretty common experience. Get them to admit it...

Achamian stumbling around the Holy War, yelling for Esmenet, always gets me :(...

Considering, also, the commentary of readings as experiences in Bakker's perspectives, it would make sense to think that those of us who spend time exploring our internal existence and emotional standings more often are those of us who will feel ideas presented anywhere more viscerally.

Books are full-sensory information packets, Bluray for the mind, and you... this... depends on quality of box. 1080p Emotions, Conditioned ;)?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 11:44:18 pm »
Quote from: Ajokli
Do I love Martin? Sure, who doesn't, but do I learn from Martin? Not really, I am only entertained by his work.

I learned that teenagers are the best commanders and that trying to get laid brings too much trouble.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 11:44:23 pm »
Do I love Martin? Sure, who doesn't, but do I learn from Martin? Not really, I am only entertained by his work.

I learned that teenagers are the best commanders and that trying to get laid brings too much trouble.
It stands to reason, then, that to lead a successful life, strive to be a celibate teenager forever. Peter Pan anyone?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 11:44:29 pm »
Ajokli, I'd agree to anything with that avatar. Who the hell is that expressive wonder?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 11:44:34 pm »
Ajokli, I'd agree to anything with that avatar. Who the hell is that expressive wonder?

That would be John Phillip Law in his memorable role as the antagonist Elijah Kalgan in the action film Space Mutiny. One of the best performances I've ever seen.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 11:44:39 pm »
I shall watch this Space Mutiny and attempt to be as pleased as that great man is in all my life's endeavours.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013, 11:44:44 pm »
Quote from: sologdin
works for me because it's very plainly a secondary creation spec fic written by someone trained in literary theory, linguistics, philosophy of language.  RSB may have repudiated his prior academic training, but it's all on display in the narrative.  as it happens, that shit's my background, too, so it feels as though it's written for people like me, whereas tolkien is written for gloomy catholics, martin is written for cynical liberals, and so on.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2013, 11:44:48 pm »
RSB may have repudiated his prior academic training

How so? He's still working towards his Ph.D in philosophy. That doesn't sound so repudiated.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 11:44:53 pm »
was thinking of the commentary regarding how he was once resident on the branch derridean compound, and other remakrs about his contempt for continental philosophy.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 11:44:57 pm »
oh ok. he does seem fairly disillusioned by the whole system, but I don't think hes given it up as a whole.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 11:45:13 pm »
Actually, I think he did, Wilshire. I'm not sure he's still in his Ph.D period anymore...