Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 03:27:04 pm »
Nausk Mausoleum—The Far-Antique temple in Kelmeol where, according to legend, the bones of the Meori High-King Aratrula the Mad are interred. Convinced of his own damnation, Aratrula fairly enslaved his nation attempting to build a Mausoleum, allegedly lined in plates of lead, that might keep his souls safe from the Outside.

Very interesting. I haven't gotten a chance to explore the Glossary yet.

Historically, the most famous of these was Modhoraparta’s “Dance of the Demons,” where the face of the God of Gods viewed through the aperture became a group of demonic monstrosities viewed from all other angles.

This appears in TGO.

Sadu’waralla ab Daza (4084—)—Ordealman, Chieftain of the Low Imit, General of the Khirgwi contingent in the Great Ordeal of Anasûrimbor Kellhus. A sufferer of the apoplexy, he is famed across the Three Seas for visions confirming the identity of the Aspect-Emperor, even though the Khirgwi are renowned for refusing to relinquish their ancient forms of devil worship.

People worshiping Kellhus because they know he is a demon, not in spite of it.

That's fucking cool.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Sausuna

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2017, 06:00:45 pm »
Are the swords Alimir and Pitiril meant to be the same sword or tragic misnaming by the Non-men? Not sure if it was mentioned.

Alimir - "Divider" (Ihrimsu). The legendary enscrolled sword of the Kuniuric High-Kings, famed for possessing the Edge Peerless, and when wielded with skill, capable of halving mammoths. Lost at the Battle Eleneot with Anasurimbor Kelmomas in 2146.
Pitiril - Divider (Ihrimsu). Enscrolled blade belonging to the Ishroi Hero Oirinas, lost as the Battle of Pir-Minginnial.

Baztek

• Momurai
  • Aleph Jester
  • "We are all of us brothers. Read these."
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2017, 06:44:04 pm »
I'm surprised no one's mentioned some speculating the Ark's horns are supposed to be half of Ajokli's crown. That shit is crazy

Wolfdrop

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 08:16:35 pm »
Are the swords Alimir and Pitiril meant to be the same sword or tragic misnaming by the Non-men? Not sure if it was mentioned.

Alimir - "Divider" (Ihrimsu). The legendary enscrolled sword of the Kuniuric High-Kings, famed for possessing the Edge Peerless, and when wielded with skill, capable of halving mammoths. Lost at the Battle Eleneot with Anasurimbor Kelmomas in 2146.
Pitiril - Divider (Ihrimsu). Enscrolled blade belonging to the Ishroi Hero Oirinas, lost as the Battle of Pir-Minginnial.

Alimir has been confused with Glimir as it's called in TGO, and is an oversight. It's Celmomas' sword.

Pitiril is the one wielded by the Inversi, and it's cuts through a shield like paper.

Very similar, but I think Glimir/Alimir is like a buffed version, it seems to have extended range. A bit like the Ivory King if you're familiar with Dark Souls.

Wolfdrop

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 12:56:50 pm »
Just been rereading the section with the Red Ghoul and the Mysunsai and noticed something cool.

The Nilnameshi part of the Mysunsai "Bond of Three", the Oaranat's symbol is the Bent Scroll, and the symbol of the also Nilnameshi Vokalati is the Sundered Scroll.

Given how the Vokalati were wrecked by Triamis' Saka (where the name Saik later derives from?) does the symbol of the Oaranat seek to make them stand apart from the Vokalati? As in they bent but didn't break.

A subtle dig at the Vokalati who adopted Triamis' white and violet colours as ingratiation after getting their asses kicked by the Saka?

littlegrice

• Suthenti
  • Mandati
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2017, 04:04:07 pm »
One of the entires about a Nonman has a line in there to the effect of "when he grew Tall" - to me implying this isn't a sure thing to happen and that its unusual... Any idea on the mechanics?
Off the top of my head, meaningful things have more impact on the physical in Earwa than in our world. So the greatness of feats might make those who accomplish them physically great. In this instance, Tall.

AFAIK there is no reference to a Tall Quya, could be that non magic Non-Men that achieve greatness become Tall? Quya being a hereditary caste, kinda makes sense that none of their mages manifest this trait. Lemme know if you know of a giant mage though!

This might just be a chicken or the egg type of thing.  If you were 10 feet tall, would you go be a scholar, or would you get into the NFL or MMA and go beat people's asses?  Being a Tall Quya seems like it would just be a waste of real-estate, unless they developed some crazy battle magic for some good old up close ground and pound.  All the magic in this series seems to be about keeping distance between yourself and your opponent.

Or maybe the genetics of being Tall just doesn't let you see the Onta.  Who knows...
Well, he no talkie good like me and you, so his vocabulistics is limited to 'TELL ME...' and 'WHAT DO YOU SEE?' and, 'WHAT AM I?' Exclusively in that order.