At this rate, I'll be 40 and he'll be dead

• 37 Replies

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 10:25:01 pm »
Not sure if i want that...that is where Martin-ian madness lies aka 6 years for half a book. Martin hops from con to con not doing anything else it seems...especially not writing his damn SoIaF. We don't want to risk Scott discovering the easy life  ;) ;D
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

kellykellhus

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2013, 06:18:09 pm »
not that we shouldn't be distracting him further, but why doesn't he participate in the community by making himself available for panels at conventions and the like. I'd have shlepped down to comic con for a day to get my books signed.   Put him on a panel like, "hentai in western novels, is it possible?"

He's probably too busy between work, family and writing. Hopefully he can do a signing tour when the UC does come out though. Bakker would be at the top of my list for authors who I'd go out of my way for their appearances right now.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2013, 11:31:40 pm »
Not sure if i want that...that is where Martin-ian madness lies aka 6 years for half a book. Martin hops from con to con not doing anything else it seems...especially not writing his damn SoIaF. We don't want to risk Scott discovering the easy life  ;) ;D
His travel schedule is not the reason that the last two books took so long.  They took so long because of rewriting and discarding ad infinitum.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2013, 11:44:32 pm »
I agree with locke. The amount of time that it takes to write the books is largely a personal thing. He seems to agonize over every detail and he admits to rewriting whole section several times. On top of that, I feel like his publishing company puts other stupid restrictions on him (like word count) that make the whole process worse for Bakker, and just add to the total amount of time that he spends writing.

I would bet that if this forum got popular enough he might indulge us with an interview or a small Q/A, but the tiny community of 15 fans we've got here just isn't enough to grab at his attention. For something like that to happen we need the other 70 or so people that lurk to participate. If we had even 100 active members that would be a nice start, but a group of 15 geeks talking amongst themselves just isn't going to cut it.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 10:13:51 am »
His travel schedule is not the reason that the last two books took so long.  They took so long because of rewriting and discarding ad infinitum.

I know.
It was just a semi-humorous response to Wilshire's post about him wishing Bakker would travel more.

@ Wilshire - What happened to all the fans of the old Three Seas forum? Do you know that? I remember that first forum to be very active and Scott even participating himself. He even had that forum and the two admins in his dedication in at least one of the books.
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 03:36:39 pm »
Lol free babysitting maybe. Probably Madness meant disseminating his work as much as possible, donating to his site, buying his books or on audio, things of that nature.

+1. Though, who's arguing for discarding practicalities; by all means, with babysitting, we can throw in yard work, cooking, shopping, chauffeurs.

His name was Nil'giccas. His name was Nil'giccas...

I agree with locke. The amount of time that it takes to write the books is largely a personal thing. He seems to agonize over every detail and he admits to rewriting whole section several times. On top of that, I feel like his publishing company puts other stupid restrictions on him (like word count) that make the whole process worse for Bakker, and just add to the total amount of time that he spends writing.

In all seriousness, that man attempts almost musical regime of practice when it comes to engaging his routine. Even if he devoted the bulk of his time to his thesis and Earwa, which he does, there are the extra-curricular writings he engages in (TPB, comments, e-mail, other fiction), not too mention the possibility of teaching to top it all.

I would bet that if this forum got popular enough he might indulge us with an interview or a small Q/A, but the tiny community of 15 fans we've got here just isn't enough to grab at his attention. For something like that to happen we need the other 70 or so people that lurk to participate. If we had even 100 active members that would be a nice start, but a group of 15 geeks talking amongst themselves just isn't going to cut it.

+1. Honestly, Wilshire, I think it is inevitable but that could just be my optimism showing.

@ Wilshire - What happened to all the fans of the old Three Seas forum? Do you know that? I remember that first forum to be very active and Scott even participating himself. He even had that forum and the two admins in his dedication in at least one of the books.

It was a series of unfortunate events, Kellais. He participated in the Author Q&A like he keeps up the blog, basically. Initially, Bakker cites a pron virus for torching his laptop resulting in a lost portion of TTT, which he had to rewrite. This is why he religiously writes on a laptop that's not hooked up to the internet now. Then through a combination of the Spam Sranc, a steady decrease in user content, and finally permanent inactivity by the mods, the forum went comatose.

Sovin Nai, who was the admin at the old Three-Seas, (aengelas here, if he's joined the new forum) and I have talked periodically, which is how the old forum is now preserved as Zombie Three Seas at the old link: http://forum.three-seas.com. He still owns the server as I understand it so we've talked about possibly porting this forum to his servers at some point in the future. We also considered getting an official fansite running but there was little to no interest/we have about 10 - 15 participating forumers.

Lol, I've written this story before in the quoted portions from the old forum... I wonder how my memory function has been preserved in the past year.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 03:38:28 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Garet Jax

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 08:46:02 pm »

Sovin Nai, who was the admin at the old Three-Seas, (aengelas here, if he's joined the new forum) and I have talked periodically, which is how the old forum is now preserved as Zombie Three Seas at the old link: http://forum.three-seas.com. He still owns the server as I understand it so we've talked about possibly porting this forum to his servers at some point in the future. We also considered getting an official fansite running but there was little to no interest/we have about 10 - 15 participating forumers.

Lol, I've written this story before in the quoted portions from the old forum... I wonder how my memory function has been preserved in the past year.

I would say a bunch of people "participate" that don't post.  I use this forum as a form of luminosity, it helps stretch out the brain and bring a little variation to my life.

But in all seriousness, I would pay for a domain with a decent amount of bandwidth in hopes that it supports Bakker and his writing endeavors.  If only to soak up all the knowledge that other users drop during TSA conversations.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 01:25:44 am »
I would say a bunch of people "participate" that don't post.  I use this forum as a form of luminosity, it helps stretch out the brain and bring a little variation to my life.

Very true. Absorbing is participating. Apologies for that, as I can't argue the active participation it takes reading here. Please, by all means, share in our collective noosphere.

I might rephrase /we have about 10 - 15 content generating forumers, at the moment.

But in all seriousness, I would pay for a domain with a decent amount of bandwidth in hopes that it supports Bakker and his writing endeavors.  If only to soak up all the knowledge that other users drop during TSA conversations.

It's been done and this rendition is the fruit of that labour :). And those were all my exact reasons, especially to engage the individuals Bakker's writing draws. I doubt very much that we've come close to maxing out the bandwidth yet. And if we do, I'm sure they'll be more than enough people to pool some dough towards server funds.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 04:27:40 am »
If he has a second child... we're all doomed.
I was rather hoping he'd have a second child (never mind spoiled only child syndrome). Never said because it sounds odd to say? lol

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 01:54:35 am »
I was rather hoping he'd have a second child (never mind spoiled only child syndrome). Never said because it sounds odd to say? lol

Half the reason I say this is the obvious downturn or writing devotion that comes with more children. The other half of my reasoning would is from something he mentioned during the reading he did. He said he will probably never write something like Neuropath again because being father turned him into warm and fuzzy old man and writing a darker story like that would be difficult. Add another child to that and all he'll be writing are fairy tales

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 04:50:52 pm »
He said he will probably never write something like Neuropath again because being father turned him into warm and fuzzy old man and writing a darker story like that would be difficult. Add another child to that and all he'll be writing are fairy tales
So you're saying he'd starting writing stuff as great as Neil Gaiman's recent output! :D

Baztek

• Momurai
  • Aleph Jester
  • "We are all of us brothers. Read these."
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 08:24:51 pm »
Even with Bakker's current time table, 15-20 years for 3 books or so is a little much. I can see the series wrapping up by 2020.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2013, 11:11:24 pm »
If you ignore that it took him "9 years" to write TDTCB, the time it has taken to write each novel seems to be increasing each book, and he took a 3 year break in between PON and AE. I guess that leaves like 3-5 year gap between AE and TSTSNBN, and then another 3-4 years per sequel in that series. I know it was supposed to be a dualogy or something, but I've read in some of his interviews that he thought it might be a trilogy.

I say another year or so for TUC to be safe, then 6-9 more for 2 more books, or 9-12 for 3 more.

so 7 to 13 years to complete the series depending on length and writing time. Like I said, time between book is getting longer, not shorter, so I'll side with the longer estimate of 13. I'll be 35ish .... So yeah I guess I was exaggerating a bit :P.

I'd rather be happily surprised than bitterly disappointing. I'll try not to be upset about it until I'm 40 though if its not done yet.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 02:23:28 am »

Half the reason I say this is the obvious downturn or writing devotion that comes with more children. The other half of my reasoning would is from something he mentioned during the reading he did. He said he will probably never write something like Neuropath again because being father turned him into warm and fuzzy old man and writing a darker story like that would be difficult. Add another child to that and all he'll be writing are fairy tales
I'd like to see him work at that level - really put something important into childrens literature.

But okay, I see your point - you see certain doors closing in terms of what he might author - and I'd agree certain doors might have closed.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 03:10:50 am »
Just the potential of a door closed. But hey, who lives to work any ways? Work to live, have a family.

I'd buy Bakker's Fables. I'm sure he could break into the genre of children's literature and really shake things up.