• 24 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: June 04, 2013, 06:00:44 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
Sorry to everyone who got excited and thought that there would be news about it in this first post. I know nothing about it, but I am curious if anyone actually does. I've seen maybe 10 or 15 posts about spread out through all the boards and I thought (yet again) that making a topic for it could be prudent.

Speculation, rumors, facts, theories? Does anyone have anything concrete to offer? Anything that you would give an arm and a leg to see in it?

For me, I almost hope that it will be released as a stand alone novel after TUC, as it is taking Bakker plenty long enough to write it without worrying about an Encyclopedia filled with untold multitudes of short stories and more definitions than you could shake a finger at. However, I doubt it. Bakkers not one to squeeze profits from his books, and he would probably see releasing a stand alone book as a cheap way to make money. I certainly don't think anyone else would see it like that, as his works are always nicely polished, but he is know for a certain amount of self-loathing when it comes to things like that.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 06:00:50 pm »
Quote from: Madness
From what I understand, Wilshire, the Expanded Encyclopedia has been planned as a stand-alone for a long time. I remember even after TJE, Bakker mentioning that he was fast accumulating too much to fit at the end of TUC.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 06:00:56 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
and he would probably see releasing a stand alone book as a cheap way to make money.

On the other hand, if his muse compels him to make it, then he is compelled, whether it makes money or not. I rather suspect he will be compelled - assuming the critical mass of material suddenly just seems too much for TUC. And how likely is that with the thick, dense history of Earwa? Pretty likely - see, I know and command, and he hopes and serves up books! ;) Okay, bad joke...

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 06:01:03 pm »
Quote from: BargiltheDestroyer
I think I'll take a dive into the wank sea of the Westeros literature sub-forum and find all those silly posts by Happy Ent and others sometime this week.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 06:01:11 pm »
Quote from: Ajokli
I'm looking forward to the Encyclopedia as much as the the book.

/This forum could use a short story release to liven it up

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 06:01:18 pm »
As am I, as am I. It will likely contain many wonders things.

Camlost and I were chatting the other day and its likely that the forum won't see much traffic until TUC comes out. Even if Bakker releases a short story/excerpt/chapter from TUC, we'll likely run through speculation pretty quickly. The issue is that many of us here have had nearly a year and a half to digest WLW and run it through the Westeros think tank, the current incarnation of which, WLW IX, is still drawing posts there.

The key for now is to post here when you can. Slowly, we can build up the number of threads to partake in, the numbers of members to communicate with, and the Bakker FanNet will grow.

It'll come, Ajokli :).

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 06:01:26 pm »
Quote from: Curethan
We just need to troll an opiniated website like ACM to get traffic up, lol.
Someone crank up a fiery thread on "bakker hates muslims" or something.  :twisted: 

I'm fine with waiting for the full cycle to be done before a proper encyclopedia though.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 06:01:34 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
As am I, as am I. It will likely contain many wonders things.

Camlost and I were chatting the other day and its likely that the forum won't see much traffic until TUC comes out. Even if Bakker releases a short story/excerpt/chapter from TUC, we'll likely run through speculation pretty quickly. The issue is that many of us here have had nearly a year and a half to digest WLW and run it through the Westeros think tank, the current incarnation of which, WLW IX, is still drawing posts there.

The key for now is to post here when you can. Slowly, we can build up the number of threads to partake in, the numbers of members to communicate with, and the Bakker FanNet will grow.

It'll come, Ajokli :).

Should we start an official forum reread?  I've been tempted to start such a thread in TDTCB forum, but I don't know how people would like to structure the thing, time frame, a thread per chapter?  a whole reread subforum?  no idea.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 06:01:40 pm »
An official forum reread sounds like quite a chore, but rather entertaining if you as me. A post a chapter would indeed liven things up if anyone cared to go back that far.

I think a big problem with this site and fanbase is that its full of people who know a whole lot and who have been around for a while, but with no one to share with. There aren't a lot of new people to enlighten, and I can certainly see how newbies would be intimidated. Especially posting a question in TDTCB thread which has... what, 1 post in it?

I recently helped a good friend of mine through the TPON, and I got another to start reading. Its not like any one of the books is easily understood to anyone who's just began the journey. They have lots and lots of questions, as I did when starting out (and still do), but there isn't an easily accessible place for someone to attain that kind of information. Information pertaining to early book stuff. Sure lots of it is in appendices and the encyclopedia after TTT, but a lot of it isn't.

Just a bunch of my own random thoughts I suppose

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 06:01:48 pm »
Quote from: Imparrhas
I've been thinking I need to read the books again anyway. A forum reread sounds great to me.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 06:01:55 pm »
Quote from: Ajokli
In the meantime I successfully persuaded my GF to read the books. And she liked them a lot. Surely that catapults her into 'keeper' status.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 06:02:02 pm »
Quote from: The Sharmat
I have always been curious as to how these books read for a female. I recommended them to a female friend of mine but she hasn't gotten around to them yet.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 06:02:09 pm »
I have always been curious as to how these books read for a female. I recommended them to a female friend of mine but she hasn't gotten around to them yet.

I tried a total of 2 times. Failed both attempts. However I'm not sure if this is because of the subject matter or the utter dullness of TDTCB. To be fair, on a first read through, its confusing, doesn't have much action, and is incredibly dense. Though after reading the series twice, its quite amazing once you grasp the big picture and can focus on the minutia.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 06:02:15 pm »
Yeah I found that except for Cnaiur's bits and some of the opening that it was a slog the first time through. Then it just...ends in what felt like the start of act 2, just as stuff starts happening. The next two really hooked me though, and TDTCB is surprisingly improved by a re-read, with the rest of the series in you.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 06:02:22 pm »
Quote from: Rots
re: Sharmat asking how this reads to a female - ill take the liberty to speak for my wife: She loves the series and has always been rather confused by the "RSB is a woman hating s.o.b." line of attack. She realizes this is fiction.

Anywho, back on topic - i would kill a small <insert something appropriately horrifying> for the encyclopedia but i want TUC first and foremost.