sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
  • "Trickster Makes This World"
    • View Profile
« on: September 17, 2013, 04:48:17 am »
My new obsession is the side scrolling Diablo-like game Risk of Rain:

http://riskofraingame.com/

Basically you're running through hordes of monsters, gathering items, and fighting bosses. The items, classes, and monsters are pretty cool though you can only do so much with the demo.

This one guy has been doing tons of run throughs with the available classes though apparently the last 3 classes will be unknowns until release:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_qWBdxTTJ8

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 02:47:13 pm »
If like old school VGA style - Hyper Light Drifter is gorgeous:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1661802484/hyper-light-drifter?ref=search

"Drifters of this world are the collectors of forgotten knowledge, lost technologies and broken histories. Our Drifter is haunted by an insatiable illness, traveling further into the lands of Buried Time, steeped in blood and treasure hoping to discover a way to quiet the vicious disease. Echos of a dark and violent past from the dead eras resonate throughout and he can't help but listen."

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 03:05:03 pm »
If you like side scrollers, check out Rogue Legacy. The twist is all the heroes has disabilities that can affect gameplay, which is pretty comical. Things like ADD make you faster, or giantism which makes you... giant, or negative ones like vertigo which make everything upside down (worst one ever).
One of the other conditions of possibility.

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 02:51:25 pm »
If you like side scrollers, check out Rogue Legacy. The twist is all the heroes has disabilities that can affect gameplay, which is pretty comical. Things like ADD make you faster, or giantism which makes you... giant, or negative ones like vertigo which make everything upside down (worst one ever).

I approve of this message, though not sure if they've made a Mac Port yet?

=-=-=

Nested:

http://indiegames.com/2013/09/browser_pick_discover_infinite.html#more

"The interface is perfectly simple, which makes it easy to start playing and even easier to keep clicking away. The display is set up like a directory of nested folders. You click on a universe, which gives you access to a number of galaxies, each of which contains planets, asteroid belts, and such. You can click to explore planets, and if they harbor intelligent life, you can view the species and cultures, visit their museums, and even see their thoughts.

Or you can keep diving deeper, perhaps into the bones of a creature, or into the elements that make up a rock, then into the atoms and the quarks, and deeper still into an alternate multiverse. Fly inside a black hole, then through a white hole, and discover a hypoverse or a lasagnaverse or a sharkverse. Sift through the stars and see what universes are hiding within."

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 02:49:33 am »
Guide A Blind Girl Through A Frightening But Beautiful World In Beyond Eyes:

http://indiestatik.com/2013/09/18/guide-a-blind-girl-through-a-frightening-but-beautiful-world-in-beyond-eyes/

Beyond Eyes follows the journey of a blind girl called Rae, who uses her hands, nose and ears to visualize the world around her. Rae hasn’t always been blind as it was an accident with fireworks that caused her to lose her eyesight as a toddler. Understandably, Rae was so traumatized by the event that she became too scared to leave the house by herself. So, to get her dose of fresh air in safety, she spends her time tending to her garden and playing with a fat cat called Nani. This is so touching.

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 05:47:59 am »
Have you guys played Journey? I thought that game was quite beautiful

Meyna

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 11:35:56 am »
Though old according to the breakneck pace of the modern indie game industry, I really enjoyed Cave Story: http://www.cavestory.org/downloads_game.php

It's a platformer/shooter (think Metroid) made by the one-man operation Studio Pixel. The game caught on and there have been several Nintendo releases, but I enjoy the music and charming translation of the original, linked above.
witness

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 04:55:34 am »
Though old according to the breakneck pace of the modern indie game industry, I really enjoyed Cave Story: http://www.cavestory.org/downloads_game.php

It's a platformer/shooter (think Metroid) made by the one-man operation Studio Pixel. The game caught on and there have been several Nintendo releases, but I enjoy the music and charming translation of the original, linked above.

If you're a platformer fan check out the browser game Pause Ahead.

You basically preserve your momentum when you pause time, and you have to use that mechanic to solve the stages.

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 03:36:50 am »
Got Multilytheus today, was on sale:

http://www.indiedb.com/games/multilytheus

Hopefully that sale is still happening by the time people see this. It's a fun FP puzzle game. I know it's going to wrinkle my brain...

Davias

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 07:48:33 pm »
Have you guys played Journey? I thought that game was quite beautiful

I have always wanted to play that game, because what I have heard and seen about it looks and sounds so... beautiful. I own a PS3, but didn't play much. The only games I completed on the PS3 are "Shadow of the Colossus" and "Ico", games which create a very.... melancholy feeling in my opinion.
But Journey looks like a game worth playing in contrast to the many big, hollywood-like "crash, boom, bang" games on the console.

At the moment I'm playing a little roguelike game, named "Infra Arcana". It is inspired by the works of H.P. Lovecraft and despite it's simple graphics, the game has a lot more atmosphere than many big horror games.

http://infraarcana.wikispaces.com/home

Meyna

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 09:00:34 pm »

If you're a platformer fan check out the browser game Pause Ahead.

You basically preserve your momentum when you pause time, and you have to use that mechanic to solve the stages.

Sounds neat! It's not loading for me at the moment -- I'll try again later.
witness

Francis Buck

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 04:01:56 am »
Risk of Rain looks AWESOME Sci. Thanks for pointing it out, I will definitely give it a shot in the near future.

BTW: Did you play Hotline: Miami? I feel like I remember you mentioning it on Westeros, but I can't be sure. That's seriously the game that got me back into indies. Shit was fucking brilliant.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 04:04:07 am by Francis Buck »

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 09:13:16 am »
I have always wanted to play that game, because what I have heard and seen about it looks and sounds so... beautiful. I own a PS3, but didn't play much. The only games I completed on the PS3 are "Shadow of the Colossus" and "Ico", games which create a very.... melancholy feeling in my opinion.

If you enjoyed the melancholy feel of those games,you will not be disappointed with Journey.Those who recommended Journey to me also enjoyed the two games you mentioned ;)

sciborg2

• Old Name
  • Contrarian Wanker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 04:45:37 pm »
Risk of Rain looks AWESOME Sci. Thanks for pointing it out, I will definitely give it a shot in the near future.

BTW: Did you play Hotline: Miami? I feel like I remember you mentioning it on Westeros, but I can't be sure. That's seriously the game that got me back into indies. Shit was fucking brilliant.

Yeah, Risk of Rain is incredibly fun though I was a bit surprised how slow it ran on a friend's old laptop. But then old Windows computers always seem to have that speed issue.

Hotline:Miami is incredibly fun. I actually need to go back to it, as I'm close to the end but got stuck at the police station level.

I was really surprised that there was a weird, Drive+Lynch story in there.

=-=-=

I need to come back and look at some of the games people mentioned. It's a bit crazy how you can amass a huge game library with $50-100 just by waiting for deals.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 09:42:54 am »
I have spent a biblical amount of time playing 'Binding of Isaac'.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.