carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 07:23:05 pm »
Have you fully caught up on the series Madness, and if not where are you in the narrative by season?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 12:04:57 am by Hirtius/Pansa »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 07:32:53 pm »
Lmao. I'm all caught up. I actually just watched all six seasons again over the month of December to enjoy it all in one go. So rough. I actually cried when I turned back on S1E1 and saw all the characters alive ;).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 09:13:32 pm »
O.o  Six Seasons in a month... you have stamina my friend lol.  Um..  I have been watching weekly from the very beginning in 2008, I'm Original Gangsta lol,  without any rewatches so I'm sure I'm not as attuned to certain details from earlier seasons like yourself.  I don't know what you want to do with this thread, but let's establish right away that it will be spoiler filled. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 09:19:14 pm by Hirtius/Pansa »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 09:59:05 pm »
Agreed. Spoilers will abound. I will affect change of the thread title.

O.o  Six Seasons in a month... you have stamina my friend lol.  Um..  I have been watching weekly from the very beginning in 2008, I'm Original Gangsta lol,  without any rewatches so I'm sure I'm not as attuned to certain details from earlier seasons like yourself.  I don't know what you want to do with this thread, but let's establish right away that it will be spoiler filled. 

Yeah, I was OG until I pulled the rewatch :).

To be honest, I'm not sure what to do with this thread. I thought it was to be relegated to be dead. I've never had anyone to talk about this show with before (minus my RL best friend).

I'm very curious as to where Sutter is going with the show (I just figured out that Otto was Sutter when I was watching season six as it was released). I figure it's going to ultimately be a tragedy.

I definitely shed some tears too in that finale. Gall.

But I knew Patterson was going to find Jax with Tara and Roosevelt. Fuck.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 11:48:45 pm »
Strangely enough Madness, our previous discussion on knowledge of history being the gateway to our understanding of fantasy cultures and peoples has some bearing on this, we should consider "what comes before" in regards to our knowledge of SOA.  It's no secret that this show is Sutter's giant love letter to Macbeth and Hamlet, with characters being various analogues and the thematic structure etc. etc.  But, should we consider Shakespeare's plays as the model for the resolution of the narrative of SOA.  If Jax is Hamlet... everyone will be dead by the end of S7, everyone.  If Jax is Macbeth... then maybe a Malcolm/Macduff figure will come to finally end all the degradation and violence that the sons have wrought.  Patterson maybe?  Or should we discard the allusions to Shakespeare entirely?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 12:12:08 am »
Lol.

You are in my head. I loved Shakespeare in high school.

I was already leaning Hamlet*edit*. But Thomas and Abel make me think that Chibbs might come out unscathed... or Bobby?

EDIT: To be clear, as well, I used to read a number of Biker biographies so they no doubt coloured my viewing.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 12:19:31 am by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 01:15:37 am »
I know next to nothing about Biker Crime Syndicates, could you recommend some books or share some insights?

Time for personal aside.  I usually don't give specific predictions for the endgames of fictional narratives.  Seems a bit unfun I know, but it actually helps me a little mentally.  Here's my rationale, and also what I usually observe from other people.

I predict plot event X will occur:  Event X occurs, ergo this story is predictable, simple and not worth my time.
I predict plot event X will occur:  Event Y occurs, by mentally conditioning myself to believe that event X is where the story is heading I'm disappointed and frustrated about event Y being the alternative.

I try to just organically observe stories unfolding and critique them on the fly.  This has actually helped my enjoyment of several shows, at least in an analytical sense.  I brought up the Shakespeare connection as a way to interrogate Sutter's possible understanding of his own universe and how it is going to resolve.

All that being said:  If Thomas, Abel, Chibbs and Bobby walk out of this series alive, I think I'd be okay with anything else happening lol.  A lot of events this past season have soured me on the notion of the Sons as being our "Flawed Anti-Heroes" who should have our admiration.  I don't even know if I want  this organization, this family unit to succeed and rise out of the muck and mire of its criminal history.  Maybe Charming is better off without them...  There are just a few, and I mean a few characters I'd like to leave this series alive and in one piece.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 04:22:52 am by Hirtius/Pansa »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 12:50:18 pm »
I know next to nothing about Biker Crime Syndicates, could you recommend some books or share some insights?

Well, you have to read Hell's Angels - Hunter S. Thompson. But truly living anarchy almost never makes for a dull story. There's The Life and Times of Sunny Barger. My Mom bought me The Mammoth Book of Bikers at one point - true crime anthologies and encyclopedias were common.

Also, from the another angle, Monster was an awesome autobiography. Lol - as are all Mafia narratives. Autobiographies/biographies should probably just become a thread ;).

Time for personal aside.  I usually don't give specific predictions for the endgames of fictional narratives.  Seems a bit unfun I know, but it actually helps me a little mentally.  Here's my rationale, and also what I usually observe from other people.

I predict plot event X will occur:  Event X occurs, ergo this story is predictable, simple and not worth my time.
I predict plot event X will occur:  Event Y occurs, by mentally conditioning myself to believe that event X is where the story is heading I'm disappointed and frustrated about event Y being the alternative.

I try to just organically observe stories unfolding and critique them on the fly.  This has actually helped my enjoyment of several shows, at least in an analytical sense.  I brought up the Shakespeare connection as a way to interrogate Sutter's possible understanding of his own universe and how it is going to resolve.

That's pretty cool. You will have to teach me. Seriously, I have almost no clue how to analyze without projecting structure while still exercising my cognitive toolkit :).

All that being said:  If Thomas, Abel, Chibbs and Bobby walk out of this series alive, I think I'd be okay with anything else happening lol.  A lot of events this past season have soured me on the notion of the Sons as being our "Flawed Anti-Heroes" who should have our admiration.  I don't even know if I want  this organization, this family unit to succeed and rise out of the muck and mire of its criminal history.  Maybe Charming is better off without them...  There are just a few, and I mean a few characters I'd like to leave this series alive and in one piece.

Actually, I think this is particular important reason I like this show. I think ultimately people will claim never to have been attached to these characters but this is the genius of what Sutter's done. He took almost four seasons playing the grey, letting people develop particular rationalizations and excuses for their favorites and now comes the darkness.

That's why SOA is famous for going further than anyone thinks possible.

You can see it in Jax's personal narrative but this, I think, can be mapped onto the narrative structure entire... those people who brought balance to the club are gone. The ones who may have pumped the breaks a couple times didn't make it.

Rambling.

Jax wasn't even going to shoot a Mayan S1E1, though. It marks a point for us to constrain one side of his moral journey.

Don't even get me started on Gemma... or Juice. Damn.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 04:37:00 am »
I saw in another thread that you visit TVTropes, so I think I can accurately say that both Gemma and Juice and firmly in "Karma Houdini" territory at his point lol.  Although it is an interesting debate, whether auteurs and creators are somehow obligated to give their audiences a sense of cathartic retribution in regards to characters that have committed heinous atrocities.  This was a hot topic when Breaking Bad was ending, was Walter White supposed to be punished for all the crimes he committed to satisfy the audience's desire for justice?  I can roll either way honestly, whether Gemma gets off scot-free but has to live with all she's done or if she goes to prison or what have you.  It still stands though, that the relationship between an artist and his audience can be a unstable one.

I will note the titles of those books and biographies, hopefully I'll get to read them at some point although it won't be until the summer after I'm back from University.

Also, amusingly enough, I just saw on Wikipedia that although S7 is going to be the last for SOA, apparently Sutter is in talks with FX to do a prequel series in the late 60's about the founding of SAMCRO with young JT and Clay as the protagonists.  We'll wait and see what comes of it.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 07:18:54 am »
Writers have a hard time giving the moral of the tale as 'some shit happened and people made best as they could do with how that turned out, as previously depicted'. Let alone their audience, I'm not sure most writers are ready for that.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 07:23:23 am by Callan S. »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 02:18:36 pm »
I saw in another thread that you visit TVTropes, so I think I can accurately say that both Gemma and Juice and firmly in "Karma Houdini" territory at his point lol.

Ugh. This is going to get me ranting about Wolf of Wall Street, again.

Although it is an interesting debate, whether auteurs and creators are somehow obligated to give their audiences a sense of cathartic retribution in regards to characters that have committed heinous atrocities. This was a hot topic when Breaking Bad was ending, was Walter White supposed to be punished for all the crimes he committed to satisfy the audience's desire for justice?  I can roll either way honestly, whether Gemma gets off scot-free but has to live with all she's done or if she goes to prison or what have you.  It still stands though, that the relationship between an artist and his audience can be a unstable one.

I'm not sure about the moral trajectory of fiction. It definitely exists, is studied, etc. These life circumstances (like P. Earth) are in a state of flux and so one can never be sure what authors think they should outline for those who consume and digest their creations.

Sutter strikes me as someone who is going to stay true to what seems to be the Biker narrative - and probably push it even further.

It ends bloody and if anyone is left to gain revelation from tale... it won't be someone who remains (or maybe never was in the first place) SAMCRO. Most bikers who get "out" and are morally redeemable (there's that line again) enough to write Biker auto/biographies about, aren't riding anymore.

That actually gives the Hunter S. Thompson version a strange angle. Not only is he a journalist, thus an observer, he's also a participant and someone who could probably calmly and happily do a Rust Cohle (True Detective, hope you are watching) amount of drugs with bikers and still turn in the story.

I will note the titles of those books and biographies, hopefully I'll get to read them at some point although it won't be until the summer after I'm back from University.

Real cool. I'm interested in your studies. SA academic connects ;).

Also, amusingly enough, I just saw on Wikipedia that although S7 is going to be the last for SOA, apparently Sutter is in talks with FX to do a prequel series in the late 60's about the founding of SAMCRO with young JT and Clay as the protagonists.  We'll wait and see what comes of it.

My friend is convinced that Sutter won't do it, after sampling the evidence (though allegedly Sutter went so far sometime after last season as to say outright that he wouldn't be doing the prequel for many years, if at all).

I'd love to see the prequel. That tension between Jax and Clay during S1 and S2 (and really up until Jax takes power from Clay) is of the best aspects of the show... and we'd get to see it play out for real in a prequel between Clay and JT. And we'd get to see Otto at the table ;D!

Writers have a hard time giving the moral of the tale as 'some shit happened and people made best as they could do with how that turned out, as previously depicted'. Let alone their audience, I'm not sure most writers are ready for that.

Not sure you've watched, Callan, but you've strayed into spoilers ;). Sutter is not a normal writer. The character he plays on the show, Otto mentioned above, is majorly fucked up and still one of the few (maybe) redeemable characters on the show - and that would take a hefty qualifying argument by someone (Sutter used to say that he was going end the show with Otto getting out of jail...)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:21:42 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 11:41:31 pm »
I actually had just watched the four aired episodes of True Detective so I could be caught up for episode 5 yesterday Madness.  So excellent.  I think we should all dispose of the Good Cop/Bad Cop cliche and embrace the Jerkass Hypocrite Cop/Existential Nihilist Cop trope that is Marty and Rust.

As for my education, I'm just a derpy Sophomore undergrad.  Most of my classes are either English Literature, Political Science or Classics.  Second Apocalypse is right up my alley as it were.  :)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 10:22:39 am »
Lol - we don't know who Hart and Cohle are in the present yet.

I won't waste my thoughts here though, there's a thread.

I'm also a derpy undergrad.

You'll make a dangerous political science student reading up here, though this will sharpen the brain towards any subject matter, especially those three, as you wrote.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer