Science fiction horror by Bakker

• 12 Replies

SrancHammer

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: August 09, 2017, 10:14:22 pm »
Anybody else think a story about the Ark before it's fall would be cool? Some sort of sci-fi horror novel about the inchori or the race that created them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 03:00:46 pm »
I would like it. Buy given Bakker's tendency to make things like this as mysterious as possible, I wouldn't really hold my breath.
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 04:06:49 pm »
He's working on a scifi called The Lollipop Factory. I don't imagine it'll be as cheery as the title suggests, as those unaccustomed to Bakker might wrongly think.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

SrancHammer

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 04:47:07 pm »
That's cool, I'm looking forward to it. I think the biggest issue with a book focusing on the inchori/ark/whoever came before them would probably be the complete lack of character pool for him to choose from. As much as non stop evil and horror would be cool for us fans I don't think it would really work. Unless other passengers we don't know about existed that were not complete world destroying psychopaths

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 06:48:40 pm »
That's cool, I'm looking forward to it. I think the biggest issue with a book focusing on the inchori/ark/whoever came before them would probably be the complete lack of character pool for him to choose from. As much as non stop evil and horror would be cool for us fans I don't think it would really work. Unless other passengers we don't know about existed that were not complete world destroying psychopaths

lol yeah, i see what you mean.

Would have to go way back. Maybe a series of short stories, think "I Robot" except instead of the positronic brain as get the IF and the Inchoroi decent into madness.

SrancHammer

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 06:51:47 pm »

lol yeah, i see what you mean.

Would have to go way back. Maybe a series of short stories, think "I Robot" except instead of the positronic brain as get the IF and the Inchoroi decent into madness.

That would be awesome. Maybe back far enough to see their home planet and the different factions at play

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 07:02:46 pm »
That would be awesome. Maybe back far enough to see their home planet and the different factions at play

Exactly. Bakker, see: Cnaiur or TGO, is a master at the whole 'descent into Madness' bit. It would be great to see their race fall from grace, descend similarly to what we saw with TGO except over millennium. From pre-IF, to post-IF, getting increasingly desperate and increasingly 'depraved' in an attempt to save themselves.

SrancHammer

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 07:13:33 pm »
God now I really want this

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 12:22:13 am »
Have you not read Crash Space, SrancHammer?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

SrancHammer

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 03:58:12 pm »
Good read thanks for bringing it to my attention. Not exactly the story I was thinking though.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 05:28:14 pm »
Good read thanks for bringing it to my attention. Not exactly the story I was thinking though.

Yeah, it's more Neuropath-y than straight SF, for sure. If you have thoughts, we have a thread :).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 12:40:01 pm »
He's working on a scifi called The Lollipop Factory. I don't imagine it'll be as cheery as the title suggests, as those unaccustomed to Bakker might wrongly think.

Yeah Lollipop Factory appears to have been a casualty recently. The whole book, as a completed draft, is now completely gone and will likely never to be rewritten.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 03:06:47 pm »
The sads.
The Existential Scream