Why did the Nonmen teach Men the Gnosis?

• 7 Replies

Tivadar

• Nascenti
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: July 02, 2016, 11:01:20 pm »
Hi all, I just reread the 5 books in preparation for the great ordeal. I've been able to find out most of the questions I've had in this forum, but not this one. Seems simple enough, but I can't find an answer. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 11:16:10 pm »
Some kind of deal between the Nonmen and the Men of the Ancient North. There should be references in TTT Glossary, I think?

Have you ever read The False Sun, Tivadar? It is a very early POV from the long-lived Shaeonanra and it offers some insight into your question.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 11:18:29 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Tivadar

• Nascenti
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 04:56:01 pm »
I actually just reread The False Sun a couple of days ago - but came away even more confused! I'll have to reread I guess! And I'll check out the back of TTT. Thanks Madness.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 05:47:31 pm »
I actually just reread The False Sun a couple of days ago - but came away even more confused! I'll have to reread I guess! And I'll check out the back of TTT. Thanks Madness.

What you want to focus on is the role of the Siqu.  I can't remember if what I want to say is a TGO spoiler, so I won't say anything just yet.

Side note, Tivadar, as in of Thorn?
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Tivadar

• Nascenti
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 12:07:06 am »
H, thanks for the tip. I'm still wondering why Nonmen would give that sort of knowledge away to another race. Or perhaps it's as simple as one enterprising Nonman starting his own school because he doesn't want to get stuck in the 9 to 5 grind like all his buddies toiling away at Aporos Worldwide Inc.  :)

And on the side note - I never played Magic. Tivadar is actually my middle name (Hungarian for Theodore). But I used it as my D & D character name through his school, so that's at least a little nerd cred...

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 10:08:36 am »
H, thanks for the tip. I'm still wondering why Nonmen would give that sort of knowledge away to another race. Or perhaps it's as simple as one enterprising Nonman starting his own school because he doesn't want to get stuck in the 9 to 5 grind like all his buddies toiling away at Aporos Worldwide Inc.  :)

I believe that TGO will give you some of the answers you are looking for.

And on the side note - I never played Magic. Tivadar is actually my middle name (Hungarian for Theodore). But I used it as my D & D character name through his school, so that's at least a little nerd cred...

Ha, well, I didn't know it was actually a real name until now.  I've played Magic for a long time now, so that is where I immediately recognized it from.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 05:31:44 pm »
Yeah just to say it's explained in TGO.

Cynical Cat

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2016, 11:04:40 pm »
There's one really obvious answer and the TGO confirms that's the case.  It's not even really a spoiler to talk about it, but out of respect of the board's spoiler policy I'm not going to say what it is.  Post the question in the TGO subforum and we can talk about it.