Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2014, 12:13:22 pm »
Please, figure out and narrow down what the game would focus on. I've basically studied RPG's for too long and if you're going to try and put all the load on the GM to make play interesting, don't even bother looking up a ruleset. If you are going to use a ruleset, realise that it shapes what the game focuses on. If no one decides that, then the ruleset is just a blind shotgun blast in the dark - it might support just stupid, abstract things. You have to guide it to some degree. Just trying to have rolling to hit and armour classes 'n' shit is not guidance, it's just random blasts in the dark. Being real particular on the magic system wont help, unless you figure out what the group will actually be doing and, preferably, enjoying. Figuring out the fiction in minutae does not automatically work out the latter.

Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, klarakos (to be honest, you've been here, I just haven't been answering posts for awhile).

You have a lot to offer these threads. If you have some time, I'd really enjoy reading some more thoughts on how this gaming can be accomplished.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2014, 04:03:23 pm »
Kellais needs to respond to klarakos. Its been several month... But this is a slow burning project. Give it time.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Kellais

• Kijneta
  • The True Old Name
  • Damnation Dealer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2014, 12:37:01 pm »
klarakos input sounds very similar to what Callan had to say. I'm not sure i agree. It reminds me a lot of the very focused indie gamedesing...and while that can be fun if you like the niche on which such games focus, i think they are too narrowly focused.
My idea for the TSA rpg is a rulesset that lets you play in the world of Earwa without being a too restricting corset. I am aware that this approach also has it's disadvantages but i am not seeing it as a "shotgun blast in the dark".

If klarakos wants to give his input in a more detailed fashion, i am sure we are all glad to take a look at it. I mean it's not as if i have the rpg already all worked out ;)
But for now his (her?) post is more of a general vote for a rules-map-to-game-focus...which i do not disagree with per se but i'd need more specifics to be able to properly answer...or to be able to tell if he (she?) and i have the same vision for a TSA game.

What i definitely want: the game should be able to work for a wide variaty of game-set ups. Sure you need to tailor it a bit to your group...but i am of the opinion that you can not design the whole game to one group. I want the rules to be able to simulate all aspects of Earwa...and not just, for example, a Ainoni Noble-Caste political game (aka too narrow focus in my opinion).
I'm trapped in Darkness
Still I reach out for the Stars

"GoT is TSA's less talented but far more successful step-brother" - Wilshire

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2014, 12:05:06 pm »
Thanks Kellais. I was trying to establish a dialogue again between those that are participating on this topic.

I'm not sure it needs to be more or less focused, but we are potentially past the point of vague suggestions. You are right that you/we would need more information to better respond.
Klarakos?

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2014, 12:09:52 pm »
Will Kellhus be romancable? I'll only join if I can be seduced by him

Caveats, caveats! Only if the romancer is an Inchoroi possessed/compulsed Sumna street whore wielding level 10 Glamours.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2014, 12:22:24 pm »
Ah, the Inchoroi's own twisted tree of magic.  Kind of forgot about them as a potential player character.

dragharrow

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2015, 09:38:53 am »
Not about the theoretical TSA rpg, just responding to the thread topic: I've recently started playing D&D 5e with some friends and I've been enjoying it.

This recent game is the first time I've ever played a formal rpg properly but when I was pretty young someone must have explained the concept to me because I got really into the idea of it. I remember I went and got a copy of the dungeons master guide from the school library and convinced my friends to try and play with me. We can't have been older than 12 and none of us had any previous experience with pen and paper games whatsoever so we were totally unable to figure the rules out. In the end we defaulted to having me as the DM just decide everything. It worked out pretty well. Players would describe their actions, I would tell them how it played out. I definitely enjoyed the power lol
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 09:43:26 am by dragharrow »

Garet Jax

« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2015, 02:15:59 pm »
We need to get Bakker to be our DM...

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2015, 06:46:10 pm »
I'd buy a seat at that table.

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2015, 07:24:45 pm »
Not about the theoretical TSA rpg, just responding to the thread topic: I've recently started playing D&D 5e with some friends and I've been enjoying it.

This recent game is the first time I've ever played a formal rpg properly but when I was pretty young someone must have explained the concept to me because I got really into the idea of it. I remember I went and got a copy of the dungeons master guide from the school library and convinced my friends to try and play with me. We can't have been older than 12 and none of us had any previous experience with pen and paper games whatsoever so we were totally unable to figure the rules out. In the end we defaulted to having me as the DM just decide everything. It worked out pretty well. Players would describe their actions, I would tell them how it played out. I definitely enjoyed the power lol
I ran a 5e game shortly after launch, it was a lot of fun. I like how they streamlined a lot of things into the advantage system.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2015, 05:43:43 pm »
Thinking about joining in with a friend's group on Pathfinder campaign starting early next year. Never done one before, hopefully its interesting.

Anyone have any general suggestions for a beginner?

[Edit] Note: thinking about being a magic user. Wizard seems super complex though...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 06:27:11 pm by Wilshire »

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2016, 11:02:58 am »
Did you end up playing Pathfinder, Wilshire?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2016, 01:36:50 pm »
Did you end up playing Pathfinder, Wilshire?
Unfortunately, no. The group was disinclined to have another new member, etc. etc. I never went looking for others to play with.

Callan S.

• Old Name
  • Warrior-Profit
    • View Profile
    • Philosopher Gamer
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2016, 11:15:31 am »
Were they at four players? Pathfinder, a few levels in, has trouble adapting to higher or lower player numbers, from what I can remember.

Perhaps we'll have to start a forum play by post game (warning: Incredibly slow - I've run them before).

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2016, 01:13:11 pm »
FB was thinking something similar - though, I think his thought was closer to viramsata than actual rolls.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer