H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 05:32:21 pm »
Could the emotional state of the victims have a role in the Apocalypse successfully shutting off the outside? Would help explain my old "why rape monsters, specifically" query if so. (I know Bakker's explained his authorial motives there, but as yet there's no in-universe reason beyond the Inchoroi being incredibly carnally inclined.)

That actually fits somewhat with the idea that "there are no crimes if no one is left alive."  The 144k need to know what they survived, need to understand what they have survived.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

SuJuroit

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 05:48:23 pm »
Could the emotional state of the victims have a role in the Apocalypse successfully shutting off the outside? Would help explain my old "why rape monsters, specifically" query if so. (I know Bakker's explained his authorial motives there, but as yet there's no in-universe reason beyond the Inchoroi being incredibly carnally inclined.)

But this was explained when Kellhus entered the Ark.  Because the Progenitors wanted their weapon race to heap sin upon themselves, feel compelled to do so, to guarantee their Damnation.  Which is then handily viewed in the Inverse Fire and motivates them to action.  By giving the Inchoroi souls and an overwhelming compulsion to act in ways that guarantee their Damnation, the Progenitors need never fear that their servants will stray or lose their purpose.  At least not so long as the Inverse Fire is around to goad them into action.

Sausuna

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 05:55:51 pm »

But this was explained when Kellhus entered the Ark.  Because the Progenitors wanted their weapon race to heap sin upon themselves, feel compelled to do so, to guarantee their Damnation.  Which is then handily viewed in the Inverse Fire and motivates them to action.  By giving the Inchoroi souls and an overwhelming compulsion to act in ways that guarantee their Damnation, the Progenitors need never fear that their servants will stray or lose their purpose.  At least not so long as the Inverse Fire is around to goad them into action.
I think he meant why Scranc, Bashrag, and Wracu - hence the note of beyond the Inchoroi. That said, I think the idea that that's all they could do still holds up. They did use nukes, per TUC glossary against Nonmen. And they did use disease per the Womb Plague. But at a certain point, they could just fleshcraft beings. And the best for them were beings already designed to want to kill. Even lust for it.

SuJuroit

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 06:50:49 pm »
I think he meant why Scranc, Bashrag, and Wracu - hence the note of beyond the Inchoroi.

Hrm, that's not how I read it.  Anyway,  Bashrags and Wracu don't seem to be obsessed with sex or rape, Skuthula's rather... odd dialogue notwithstanding.  Sranc and Skinspies certainly, but I'm guessing that's a relic of "when you're holding a hammer, everything looks like a nail" on the Inchoroi's part.  They're obsessed with rape and they've managed to destroy countless worlds.  Being obsessed with rape works, makes you really good at genociding!  Of COURSE any weapon races we create should be as rapey as we are!  And FFS Aurang, would it kill you to put some bigger phalluses on those Skinspies?

They did use nukes, per TUC glossary against Nonmen. And they did use disease per the Womb Plague. But at a certain point, they could just fleshcraft beings. And the best for them were beings already designed to want to kill. Even lust for it.

Yup.  If you're creating disposable weapon races to release upon the world, makes sense that they're into violence.  Peaceful tribes of sranc doing their own thing in the hinterlands aren't of any use to anybody.