• Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2016, 01:58:40 am »
The Wise Man's Fear (total: 4)
Dust of Dreams (total: 5)
The Crippled God (total: 6)
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 27, 2016, 01:14:07 pm »
The Sword of Shannara (Total: 7) - I was not a fan of this book.

The Lies of Locke Lamora (Total: 8 ) - This, on the other hand, was an incredible book. Great read.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 01:36:39 pm by Wilshire »

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2016, 02:41:25 pm »
K, I've updated the second post in the thread to include everything up til now.

MSJ, you're a reading machine :).

Everyone check your counts, titles, etc, etc.

Alia, you mentioned a couple title-less books. I realize they are probably in Polish but what are the titles, if you can share?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2016, 08:02:11 pm »
I've hit a road block though, Madness. Havent really started anything new in a couple weeks. Was gonna start some Malazan of Esslemont I hadn't gotten around too, and it didn't hit the spot. Two Serpents Rise, by Gladstone is just the same as the first book, nothing exciting and I stopped reading both. I've since been skimming some TSA, just putting pieces together.

I've been on a fantasy kick for a while, and I've read a whole lot of the genre looking for something comparable to Bakker and Jemisin is the closest in terms of my interest. I like a lot of it, but nothing really out there that makes me want to discuss it when I'm done reading it. Some people criticize Bakker for being vague and open-ended on his material, it's what interests me so much. I want something else that has that same feel.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2016, 01:27:51 pm »
I want something else that has that same feel.

Lol - more Bakker?
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2016, 03:56:50 pm »
I've hit a road block though, Madness. Havent really started anything new in a couple weeks. Was gonna start some Malazan of Esslemont I hadn't gotten around too, and it didn't hit the spot. Two Serpents Rise, by Gladstone is just the same as the first book, nothing exciting and I stopped reading both. I've since been skimming some TSA, just putting pieces together.

I've been on a fantasy kick for a while, and I've read a whole lot of the genre looking for something comparable to Bakker and Jemisin is the closest in terms of my interest. I like a lot of it, but nothing really out there that makes me want to discuss it when I'm done reading it. Some people criticize Bakker for being vague and open-ended on his material, it's what interests me so much. I want something else that has that same feel.

Who has the time to discuss more than one author/series :P . The stuff I've read outside of TSA has been lighter fare now that I'm done with Malazan. Gotta have something to break up the bleak.

Currently reading Whitefire Crossing, seems really interesting, and the magic system I've heard is great - which makes me excited.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 01, 2016, 11:51:06 pm »
Whitefir Crossing, ill check that out.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2016, 01:08:46 am »
I'm only like 25% of the way through, so if you don't like it its not my fault ;)

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2016, 02:03:07 am »
I'm only like 25% of the way through, so if you don't like it its not my fault ;)

Lol.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2016, 12:38:00 pm »
Wilshire's Questionable Quality Book Bindery, Honey, and Reading Recommendations: 25% of the time the recs are great everytime.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2016, 03:01:16 am »
Finished Whitefire Crossing (total: 9)

Pretty good, exciting to read, though maybe lacking in some worldbuilding and character development. Not as good as some ive read this year, but I'm not disappointed.

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2016, 05:33:05 pm »
OK, so these are the titles:
Olga i Osty by Agnieszka Hałas (my high school friend)
Czytanie z wnętrzności by Wit Szostak (philosopher)
Łzy Diabła by Magdalena Kozak (military s-f) - by the way, her first novel, Nighter is available now in English: https://www.amazon.com/Nighter-Vesper-Book-Magdalena-Kozak-ebook/dp/B01H9QOVAC/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1475947933&sr=1-1&keywords=nighter - it's about vampires in special forces, fun read.
Wilki by Adam Wajrak - about wolves
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2016, 04:52:20 pm »
Thanks, Alia :).

Just as I'd hoped one is available in English... for us poor, simple monolinguists ;).
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2016, 05:22:03 pm »
The book that is available in English is not the military s-f I read on holiday - it's the author's first book, a totally different story in a totally different setting.
I recently finished a collection of short stories that are retellings of Polish legends and folk tales, called Legendy polskie. It's available free of charge as it is sponsored by one of our online auction sites, there are also films and music videos. The films are directed by Tomasz Bagiński, who in 2002 was nominated to Oscar for his short film "The Cathedral". If you're interested, you can watch the films on youtube with English subtitles, although I'm not really sure what you would make of them without cultural background:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J_Y12RqeLM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRdYz8cnOW4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-skpeuYmfE

And at the moment I am reading yet another Polish novel, Pokój światów by Paweł Majka, which is his take on War of the Worlds. I have a problem with this book, because the story is less interesting than the background, the creation of the world.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2016, 03:47:41 am »
TGO reread complete

Total: 10 books on the year.