Apparently, we've missed something about the Consult that we should have noticed

• 57 Replies

stuslayer

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2017, 02:59:41 pm »
Thanks for the welcome  ;D

I wonder if the point here is the Worldly powers (Dunyain, Consult, Kellhus) thinking they have more control and power over events than they do, and that this ultimate belief leads to their ultimate downfall...

Dunkelheit

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2017, 03:06:53 pm »
Didn't all of the Adunyani from Atrithau accompany him south as meatshields and end up dead?

Yes, but that's just the ones who joined him. Their friends and family must have heard about him too, and if he preached in public there must have been more people who heard some of what he had to say, but not enough to go with him to the south.

ThoughtsOfThelli

• Great Name
  • Thelli's Revenge
  • Approximation of a Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2017, 03:13:52 pm »
Yes, but that's just the ones who joined him. Their friends and family must have heard about him too, and if he preached in public there must have been more people who heard some of what he had to say, but not enough to go with him to the south.

That's right, there would definitely be still people left in Atrithau that Kellhus had interacted with. Then it's very much possible that the Consult got a lead on the Dûnyain from them.
"But you’ve simply made the discovery that Thelli made—only without the benefit of her unerring sense of fashion."
-Anasûrimbor Kayûtas (The Great Ordeal, chapter 13)

"You prefer to believe women victims to their passions, but we can be at least as calculating as you. Love does not make us weak, but strong."
-Ykoriana of the Masks (The Third God, chapter 27)

Tyrin

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2017, 06:55:51 pm »
So Bakker just posted this response in the reddit AMA about 20 minutes ago:

[–]neonowain 3 points 2 hours ago*

Hello from Russia Scott! Thanks for your work. I believe you're the best writer in the genre now. I wanted to ask you one question. We know the fate of Shauriatis, but what about other Mangaecca schoolmen? Did they all perish in the first Apocalypse? Did they all fall victim to Shae's magic experiments? Or is the answer to this question a spoiler for the third series? (Sorry for my English)

permalinkembedreport

[–]RScottBakker22AMA Author 2 points 24 minutes ago

Welcome Neonowain!

Do we know the fate of Shauriatis? The Mangaecca, on the other hand, died out a long time ago.

So he has either picked up on our grasping and is messing with us a little, or jurble's Shae-as-Mutilated theory is really onto something.

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2017, 07:23:54 pm »
If the fate of the Mangaecca was supposed to be clear in the text it went right past me. If it wasn't, I wish he wouldn't say stuff like that on random Q&A sessions. It's like that thing with the Tusk all over again.

jurble

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2017, 07:24:14 pm »
He was already coy about the Shauriyain...Dunriatis...Shaeonanyain...Dunonanra.. theory in the Q&A.   But I'm not sure it's the same as the thing we missed about the Consult.  It might be? But it doesn't explain the Consult's lack of thinking/sane manpower over the years which the missing revelation should apparently address.

stuslayer

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2017, 08:21:28 pm »
Just a thought - what if the Consult used up all their 'manpower' trying to resurrect the No-God, leaving them with just a handful of commanders and the realisation that only an Anasurimbor would do? Would that make sense?

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2017, 03:35:57 am »
I suppose it's possible. No huge prisoner trains to Golgotterath this time.

littlegrice

• Suthenti
  • Mandati
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2017, 03:47:15 am »
He was already coy about the Shauriyain...Dunriatis...Shaeonanyain...Dunonanra.. theory in the Q&A.   But I'm not sure it's the same as the thing we missed about the Consult.  It might be? But it doesn't explain the Consult's lack of thinking/sane manpower over the years which the missing revelation should apparently address.

Lol how about the Doomyain?
Well, he no talkie good like me and you, so his vocabulistics is limited to 'TELL ME...' and 'WHAT DO YOU SEE?' and, 'WHAT AM I?' Exclusively in that order.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2017, 01:08:49 pm »
While this theory has grown on me, mostly due to Somnambulist's reminder of sorcerous compulsions, I'm going to suggest that when Bakker says fans missed something, I take him to mean something either entirely thematic or some narrative event that he thinks is clear but which is actually less clear than he thinks.

And I'll resubmit that the much more thematically concise answer is that Shauriatas figured out, probably with the help of the Mutilated, how to upload himself to the Ark.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2017, 01:25:50 pm »
While this theory has grown on me, mostly due to Somnambulist's reminder of sorcerous compulsions, I'm going to suggest that when Bakker says fans missed something, I take him to mean something either entirely thematic or some narrative event that he thinks is clear but which is actually less clear than he thinks.

And I'll resubmit that the much more thematically concise answer is that Shauriatas figured out, probably with the help of the Mutilated, how to upload himself to the Ark.

Or he figured out that running the whole operation was better suited to a group of human computers.  In other words, the Mutilated are Shae's Inchoroi.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2017, 02:47:05 pm »
What makes you say that?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2017, 03:34:41 pm »
Well, I put it forward as a joke mid-thread because - while remarkably consistent - a couple weeks ago nerdanels like Moe = Meppa or Moenghus + Cnaiur = Meppa were far-fetched and now we're at Baby Kellhus and Shae the Mutilated ;).

But as I've explained it to a couple members now, Shauriatas figuring out with the help of the Mutilated - since the Tekne is basically tailor-made to be taken apart by Dunyain philosophy - to upload himself to the Ark fits in nicely with our real world commentary on post-human aspirations (uploading ourselves to computers) as well as in-Earwa functioning to "save Shauriatas' soul."

As I said above, I actually think Bakker's comments suggest that the something missed is far more mundane: entirely thematic or else a narrative occurrence which Bakker thinks is obvious and isn't.

Fodder for the masses ;).
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer