• 82 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2017, 12:43:31 pm »
Slate.com is a news/opinion website that is (in)famous for its contrary for the sake of being contrary takes, and that is what i feel you are doing here.
Ah. Thanks for the explanation. I don't know what to say other than that's not what i'm doing lol. Its not contrary for the sole purpose of being contrary. I am not a troll (re: Nixon Voice)

I am not going to play the "pull a quote out of 7 books and defend a specific line reading" game here. Ill just say that, again, the scions of a single house throughout the 7 books are seen as special because the books are about those very people. You are asking me to prove a negative, imo.
Quote or don't, I just wanted you to expand a bit. (and fwiw I feel like I gave myself the task of proving the negative). So, good enough for me

I think the character of Kellhus outran RSBs ability to contain him and thus we saw a dramatic reduction in Kellhus POV chapters in these books because of that.
He has some interviews out there where he mentioned he didn't want to put any Kellhus POVs for pretty much this reason. The problem was that people liked Kellhus too much, so he had to include some bits of him being a jackass to uphold some disbelief. Imagine how people would have reacted with no Kellhus POVs through to TUC lol.

If you dont think Kellhus is anything special then ok. I guess im not all that interested in non-canonical readings. As ive previously mentioned i hope the series ends with TUC. Ill certainly read TNG the second if/when it comes out but im fine with the series as is.
Totally fair.

@MSJ
I do certainly appreciate quotes, as much for my sake as anyone else's, but (generally speaking) I mostly just want a bit of exposition that at least leaves open the possibility of commentary and discussion.

There's absolutely a more charitable way to read Kellhus than what I posited here.
I think I might do some re-evaluation of Moenghus next :).

Oh, for posterity, it turns out I made a thread 4 years ago about Kellhus in TDTCB specifically, though for a slightly different reason.

The average Dunyan could probably have come close, but not as close as Kellhus did.
Very succinct. I like it.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Cuttlefish

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2017, 02:29:18 pm »
The problem was that people liked Kellhus too much, so he had to include some bits of him being a jackass to uphold some disbelief. Imagine how people would have reacted with no Kellhus POVs through to TUC lol.

That's interesting, I thought I was the only person in this forum who liked him

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2017, 02:43:27 pm »
The problem was that people liked Kellhus too much, so he had to include some bits of him being a jackass to uphold some disbelief. Imagine how people would have reacted with no Kellhus POVs through to TUC lol.

Specifically, I was referring to beta readers who read TDTCB without the benefit of any Kellhus POVs.

Generally, there are definitely plenty of people here who like Kellhus. You are not alone!
One of the other conditions of possibility.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2017, 03:07:56 pm »
Tao, as much as I am in the Kellhus is special camp....that wasn't because of him. Its because he was being inhabited by Ajokli at the time. Hence, seeing his self as a descending hunger, a soul muncher, one of the 100.

Work with me! Yeah, it's been discussed ad nauseam, but still can't pinpoint when the horns took over, sorry about that.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2017, 03:10:04 pm »

( raises hand ) ... I want to have Kellhus' baby!
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2017, 03:13:17 pm »
Quote from:  TaoHorror
Work with me! Yeah, it's been discussed ad nauseam, but still can't pinpoint when the horns took over, sorry about that.

Ok, ill work with ya. Maybe he had become strong enough of a soul to become a Ciphrang/God on the Outside. Matter of fact, he probably was now that I think on it.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2017, 04:24:13 pm »
I didn't care about Kellhus either way until the Unholy Consult.
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2017, 04:44:21 pm »
Quote from:  Dora Vee
I didn't care about Kellhus either way until the Unholy Consult.

Well, I think its less that anyone cared about him, and more about what his intentions were.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,