• 40 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: June 04, 2013, 04:15:36 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
So I saw this for purchase on audible.com, and I was wondering if anyone has listen to the books instead of reading them.

I make an 8hour car trip every couple weeks so I listen to a lot of books so that's why I'm curious.

Sure hope it was done well.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 04:17:19 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
These were added yesterday? By David DeVries (and David DeFreeze??? Presumably a typo) whomever that is. That's really odd to just come out of nowhere - I thought there had been no plans for audio books? Is this how the distribution dinosaur works?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 04:17:27 pm »
Quote from: Ajokli
I remember Bakker said that he had recently made a audiobook deal. Didn't think it was that fast

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 04:17:43 pm »

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 04:17:51 pm »
Quote from: Madness
Lame. They spoil Kellhus being one of the Few in the description.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 04:17:59 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
That's not good. Though it does suggest someones read the book and remembered it, which shows some interest in the content, not just a pure fiscal relationship.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 04:18:06 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
listening to the preview on amazon for TWP is quite a trip, so many pronunciations I didn't even come close to.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 04:18:13 pm »
Yeah I couldn't believe it when I saw it posted on auidible. I wasn't even looking for the books, actually I recieved a gift and I though: hey wouldn't it be interesting?....

Well maybe I'll get one, hopefully as a gift, as I cannot afford the near 40 bucks for it, sometime in the future.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 04:18:22 pm »
Has anyone bothered to pick up one of the recordings yet? Its been about a month since the last post so i just wanted to check.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 04:18:29 pm »
Quote from: Sideris
Sadly not yet. But soon, I hope.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 04:18:35 pm »
Quote from: cielago
I got them, mostly for my commute to and from work.

They're alright. A lot of sections are quite good, but every now and then there'll be a part that just sounds terrible. Esmenet in particular is quite awful in places. She's portrayed rather shrill in some places, which i never got from her in the book. some of the pronunciation is also occasionally WAY off what i expected. Which could be me as much as anything else. i have no idea how hard they worked to get those parts canonical with bakker.

short version: if you want audiobook versions, theres really no reason not to buy them. They're perfectly acceptable.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 04:18:41 pm »
Ahh good, thanks for the input. After listening to the sample clips I figured they would be much like your described.

Also you should note that Bakker himself recorded the entire Encyclopedia at the end of TTT, so the reader should be doing everything "correctly". I came across this bit of information on the Tree Pound Brain, Bakkers other forum, in a topic that told everyone of the existence of the audiobooks.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 04:18:48 pm »
Quote from: The Sharmat
I always kind of pictured Esmenet as quiet and resigned even when upset generally. World weary whore and all that.

Pronunciations being jarring are inevitable though. I can't even keep them straight in my head half the time.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 04:18:56 pm »
I know what you mean. Its not a real problem, the pronunciations, when you are reading it yourself. For the longest time I would flip back and forth between different ones. However, once I started discussing the books with a friend or two, there where several confusing sessions of hammering out how we wanted to go about sounding out the ridiculous names. Then after all that to hear some fellow reading the books just makes it more confusing.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 04:19:08 pm »
Quote from: The Sharmat
I'm generally ok with the Nonman and Kianene ones, since I just export what pronunciation rules I know from Greek and Arabic respectively, but a lot of the other Three Seas ones are impossible for me. Some kinda weird Russo-Persian-Germanic thing that I can't place.