[TGO Spoilers] Best bits of the Great Ordeal.

• 36 Replies

dragharrow

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2016, 07:36:09 am »
I loved the reveal of the tall. From the posts I'm seeing apparently it had already been theorized but I never came across that or forsaw it, It blew my mind.

spacemost

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 03:09:06 pm »
I was re-reading some of the Ishterebinth stuff today and I noticed that in the Boatman's songs, children are referred to as "spears" twice. First in the incest song, and again to describe the nonman king who sold them out for immortality.

Then I got to thinking that the Heron Spear is described as a powerful tekne weapon, which usually applied to creating fleshy/living abominations. The only other exception I could think of is the tekne nuke from TGO.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 04:37:00 pm »
I loved the reveal of the tall. From the posts I'm seeing apparently it had already been theorized but I never came across that or forsaw it, It blew my mind.

There was a bit in an early draft of The Four Revelations of Cinial'jin that suggested that Nonmen heroes never stopped growing, which actually lead to some in-thread speculation here that heroic deeds were somehow tied to Nonman physiology. But Bakker took it out of the "version-as-is" on TPB.

I think there are still some comments there that reflect that particular insight.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Michael Murden

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 05:54:47 pm »
I loved the sense of calm with which Kellhus destroyed the last water bearer.  I think my second favorite moment was Saubon facing damnation.  Magical Belief Lottery tickets balled up and thrown in the trash...

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 05:02:11 pm »
Meppa's alive, friend. Last seen semi-conscious by Malowebi before Kellhus chops Malowebi's head.

Somnambulist pointed that out to me.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Onrack

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2016, 10:21:14 pm »
The chapter where Sorweel descends into the Holy Deep is pretty unassailable. I admit Bakker really got me for a second with the mention of Sorweel being torn in two, but I managed to gather the true meaning quickly enough.

I'd say the final chapter from Koringhus got me the most. Most of the time, character arcs in this series seem to be a downward trend, here this was almost redemptive and moving, even if it did end with him killing himself. Maybe I completely missed the real implications, but it seems to me the Survivor really did love that child, or at least as much as a Dunyain could.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2016, 06:12:51 am »
I admit Bakker really got me for a second with the mention of Sorweel being torn in two, but I managed to gather the true meaning quickly enough.

I imagine there is some metaphorical meaning there too. I know it's meant that the Aimolos was ripped from his face. Yet, I wonder if that also severed his link to Yatwer, also? So excited where this storyline goes from where it was left off.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Cuttlefish

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2016, 10:06:50 am »
I really liked the part where the Survivor realizes he saved the child because it was his own. It was profound, that even thousands of years of conditioning could not stamp out the love a father felt for his son.

Onrack

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2016, 06:38:49 pm »
I admit Bakker really got me for a second with the mention of Sorweel being torn in two, but I managed to gather the true meaning quickly enough.

I imagine there is some metaphorical meaning there too. I know it's meant that the Aimolos was ripped from his face. Yet, I wonder if that also severed his link to Yatwer, also? So excited where this storyline goes from where it was left off.
I mean, it's possible. But in narrative terms it would be a bit of a bummer. Now that the WLW and Psatma went out like complete chumps, Sorweel is Yatwer's only remaining tool. Given how much build up Yatwer has been given it seems unlikely to me that she'd be so quickly beaten.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2016, 07:46:59 pm »

I mean, it's possible. But in narrative terms it would be a bit of a bummer. Now that the WLW and Psatma went out like complete chumps, Sorweel is Yatwer's only remaining tool. Given how much build up Yatwer has been given it seems unlikely to me that she'd be so quickly beaten.

Well, arguably, WLW was beaten by Ajokli. Psatma and the Fanim are a sacrifice move so that Kellhus thinks he's beaten Yatwer.

The problem for Yatwer is that after Sorweel's time in the Weeping Mountain, he might not be such a willing tool, and may in fact not act as Yatwer wishes.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

EkyannusIII

• Momurai
  • Archduke Ekyannus of Shitlord Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2016, 05:33:14 pm »
Well, arguably, WLW was beaten by Ajokli. Psatma and the Fanim are a sacrifice move so that Kellhus thinks he's beaten Yatwer.

A move made all the move effective by the fact that the Fanim don't worship Yatwer.  "Let's you and him fight" is a frequent strategy in this meta-series.
What is reason, but the blindness of the soul?

R. SCOTT RAP3ZT TERRIBLEZ LOLZ.

if Kellhus was thinking all of this, he's going to freak out when he get's back and Kelmomas is all "i lieks to eatum peeples da"

the whole thing is orchestrated by Kellhus who is wearing a Bashrag as if it were a suit

EkyannusIII

• Momurai
  • Archduke Ekyannus of Shitlord Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2016, 05:34:28 pm »
Meppa's alive, friend. Last seen semi-conscious by Malowebi before Kellhus chops Malowebi's head.

Somnambulist pointed that out to me.

Next one Kellhus' list, the Meta-Psukhe? He has said he is more than Dunyain, and Maithanet has said that Kellhus does love Esmenet and is weakened by it.
What is reason, but the blindness of the soul?

R. SCOTT RAP3ZT TERRIBLEZ LOLZ.

if Kellhus was thinking all of this, he's going to freak out when he get's back and Kelmomas is all "i lieks to eatum peeples da"

the whole thing is orchestrated by Kellhus who is wearing a Bashrag as if it were a suit

Onrack

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2016, 09:10:26 pm »

The problem for Yatwer is that after Sorweel's time in the Weeping Mountain, he might not be such a willing tool, and may in fact not act as Yatwer wishes.
But doesn't Kellhus know, or at least suspect that Sorweel is an agent? I thought that was part of why he was sent away, or at least that's what I thought.

I just think Sorweel has to still be an agent of Yatwer's, she's been a major player for the 3 books now, it would be a bit anti-climactic for Yatwer to have been beaten so casually. Ajokli doesn't even seem to care all that much, just doing it for the lols. Psatma was no real challenge to defeat.

Mog Kellhus

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2016, 09:17:01 pm »
The final chapter was excellent,probably my favourite part of the book.

The Dreams were awesome as always.

Everything with Korringus especially his flashbacks from the consult's attack.

Dagliash was cool and I got chills when Saccarres/Seswatha attacked Aurang.

And yes the descent to Ishterebinth's bowels was epic.Sorweel's Inferno!!

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2016, 11:55:43 pm »
But doesn't Kellhus know, or at least suspect that Sorweel is an agent? I thought that was part of why he was sent away, or at least that's what I thought.

You know, I'm not so sure. Serwa admits that's fucking Moe Jr. and all that they did, was all a ploy to get Sorweel to hate them. She was certain that Sorweel loved them, Moe wasn't buying it though because he doesn't read faces, he could tell through body language that there was hate there. I feel the only way Kellhus could've possibly knew that Sorweel was an agent of Yatwer, was through Sorweel and Zsoronga's conversations he spied through the "seeing fire". I don't think it's definite that Kellhus actually knew.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,