• 224 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2014, 01:30:10 pm »
:D I found that bit of architecture fascinating. The closest I ever got to rendering it was in minecraft :P

Good stuff Som
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2014, 10:39:45 pm »
Finished this tonight, the 'major battle' I mentioned before.  And my take on the Heron Spear.  Hope you enjoy.

http://spiralhorizon.deviantart.com/art/Mengedda-444625826

http://spiralhorizon.deviantart.com/art/HeronSpear-444625295

WOW--really cool how you rendered the spear!  Makes me think of the way the Death Star lasers join to blow up a planet!  :)

Whirlwind looks amazing too!!!

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2014, 06:02:01 am »
Kings.  Finally wrestled this one into shape.  I had to mark it with a 'Mature' tag on deviantart, so if you don't have an account there to view it, I also posted it to the PON wiki.  Hope you like.

http://spiralhorizon.deviantart.com/art/Kings-452972593

http://princeofnothing.wikia.com/wiki/Special:NewFiles
No whistling on the slog!

Experion

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 09, 2014, 08:18:34 am »
Quote from: Auriga
Quote from: Sideris
The Engineers do have that vague Nonman thing going on. Even if they are a bit fugly with their Uncanny Valley faces.

Yeah. But I think the Nonmen are described as having a weird alien quality, almost a bit "Uncanny Valley", even if their features are symmetrically perfect and they have bodies like statues of Greek gods.

Sort of like this:

I think i found the real Nonmen :D
http://wall.alphacoders.com/big.php?i=444047

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2014, 08:21:26 am »
Poor dude can't remember what he is doing at a comic con.

Welcome, Experion! :D
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2014, 03:23:50 pm »
Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, Experion.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT, Somnambulist...

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 03:41:24 pm by Madness »
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 09, 2014, 03:26:32 pm »
Kings.  Finally wrestled this one into shape.  I had to mark it with a 'Mature' tag on deviantart, so if you don't have an account there to view it, I also posted it to the PON wiki.  Hope you like.

http://spiralhorizon.deviantart.com/art/Kings-452972593

http://princeofnothing.wikia.com/wiki/Special:NewFiles

That is awesome.

Edit:
He even has your Heron Spear. Missed it the first time.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 05:36:45 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 09, 2014, 05:55:32 pm »
Cheers, guys.  Yeah, I had 'Kings' cooking for awhile.  Actually meant to finish it before the Mengedda pic, but Sil was kickin' my ass (artistically speaking).  Happy you like it.

Cüréthañ

• Moderator Extraordinaire
  • Old Name
  • Pendulous Fallacy
  • Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 09, 2014, 10:34:44 pm »
Very nice!  Missed the post yesterday.
Retracing his bloody footprints, the Wizard limped on.

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2014, 05:52:21 am »
Damn, that it what I would call aesthetically pleasing. :)  A query for you Som, Is your copper tree of Siol interpretation a deliberate homage to the design of Nimloth the Fair of Tolkien fame?

I may be alone in this, but I was never one to take the description of "corpse armor" to be so bluntly literal.  In my soul's eye, I just imagined some really gothic and nasty looking tekne power armor.  I know its a much more low-brow franchise, but I see something  that wouldn't look out of place with the Chaos Space Marines from Warhammer 40K.  Speaking of which, I think the entities of the Warp would get along just fine with the Inchies and the rest of their ilk.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 07:12:51 am by Hirtius/Pansa »

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2014, 01:50:02 pm »
The Copper Tree imagery definitely evokes similarities with Tolkien's elves, and I was aware of it, but did not deliberately attempt to draw an analogy between the two.  As for the bodies, I think Bakker is nothing if not literal.  The description from the TTT glossary is '...wore fierce and festering bodies as garments of war.'  Now while I admit to some license here, I think the essence is true to his meaning.  I drew humanoid body parts as opposed to fierce bodies (whatever fierce might imply).  It could be alien animals, it could be saber-toothed tigers, I don't know.  TBH, I had a hard enough time trying to imagine Sil himself without deciphering 'fierce' bodies.    :-\

Anyway, much like all the nerdanels flying around about story, motivation, etc., these are merely my visual nerdanels, if you will.  Some may have some visual truth, but most will probably be proven to be dross in time.

Thanks for the comments, guys.  Much appreciated!

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2014, 05:11:30 pm »
To be honest this is one of the more interesting things that I've observed from Bakker's prose in regards to anything involving the Inchies.  Basically he has to articulate standard sci-fi tropes, but in the patois of these fantasy cultures and characters who wouldn't know a microwave from a hyperspace drive.  The Heron Spear is what it is called by the Three Seas due to its physical traits, but the phrase "laser beam rifle" would never appear in text, and rightfully so as it would seem super out of place.  The Incu-Holoinas is never described as a "spaceship", although we know it is one.  Constantly, metal and iron are used to described the Wracu, and many on these boards have come to the conclusion that they are somewhat cybernetically enhanced by the tekne.  But the phrase "cybernetic bio-engineered war-beast" is never used in text.  So I think it comes with the territory with the Inchoroi, that the language used isn't necessarily truly indicative of what we are observing, buy merely though the lens of these Earwans peoples.  So when I hear "festering corpse armor" my mind conjures something much more science fiction in function.  But of course the Inchies may adorn themselves with literal corpses for battle as rite or some kind of tradition, I don't know.  Does this block of text make sense? 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 06:41:46 pm by Hirtius/Pansa »

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2014, 06:15:23 pm »
Absolutely makes sense, and I see your point.  I hadn't considered that angle and you very well could be correct.  Maybe some sort of bio-armor that was going 'bad' for lack of knowledge or inability to maintain it.  Which pisses me off, cuz I didn't think of it before.  See?  Dross.

Hirtius/Pansa

• The Afflicted Few
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2014, 06:54:28 pm »
Yes!  As if the loss of the Incu-Holoinas as a sustainable power source or some such led to a decay or degeneration of the Incies bio-armor or other armaments.  The TTT appendix says something to the extent that the Inchies began to exhaust their technological weapons as the war with the Cunoroi continued.  So they clearly had no way to replace their arms or armor.  But it's all conjecture, because all we have is the subjective description from the TTT appendix, which is based on the subjective accounts of the Isuphriyas, based the subjective perspectives of the Quya who survived the war... Bakker man,  he's just screwing with our heads. 

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2014, 05:42:34 pm »
Bakker man,  he's just screwing with our heads. 

+1
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer