Dunyain as possible runaway weapon race.

• 7 Replies

Simas Polchias

• Kijneta
  • Consult Fanboy
    • View Profile
« on: July 20, 2014, 09:26:14 pm »
"Many think them the descendants of the ecstatic sects that arose across the Ancient North in the days preceding the Apocalypse".

Keeping in mind strange issues with dunyain genetics (no signs of inbreeding after 2000 years in total isolation, real difficulties in mating with humans), always saw them as apocalyptic mix:

1. First element is real dunyain refugees (from Sauglish?). 100% humans, members of a tiny cult, few in numbers & prone to domination, future base for a social peculiarities of a dunyain.
2. Second element is a Consult project gone rogue, numerous & docile, future base for a biological peculiarities of a dunyain. They look like humans and think of themselves that way, but Inchies and/or Mangaecca played with their genes with tekne.

It sounds both unholy & consulty to me — if immortal person capture mortal humans for some sinister purposes, why don't make them also impossible to inbreed and just spawn-spawn-spawn them carelessly in kennels, creating a steady and vast local supply? Lab rats, rapey-slaves, 144k stuff etc., lots of consulty uses.

But then we have Seswatha sneaking both in and out of the Arc. A kind of security breach, a possible situation for a large crowd of people (who can take flying arrows with their hands, lol) to simply walk out of Golgotterath and head in all eight directions. Some of them who walked south-east winned the prize, stumbling upon cunning runaway monks.

So, here's the irony, Consult's undoing will eventually come out of their own "lab rats", who survived for 2000 years right under Consult's nose.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 02:32:35 pm »
At first glance the dunyain seem strange, and them being a rogue Inchoroi experiment  is a delicious possibility. I wouldn't go so far to say they are a weapon race, but certainly they could be closely tied to them.

I'd direct you to this thread, as a shameless plug of my efforts to explain how the dunyain survived 2000 years without inbreeding:
http://www.second-apocalypse.com/index.php?topic=993.msg8263#msg8263

Also, I'll say we don't know if the dunyain have trouble breeding or not. We've never seen a nursery or even the alleged "dunyain women". Birth rates and infant mortality might not be something all the dunyain know of.

EDIT [Madness]: Link fail - nm... just additional redundant notation in your link.
[wilshire] ^ thanks for nothing :P.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 12:51:00 am by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Simas Polchias

• Kijneta
  • Consult Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 09:53:00 am »
I'd direct you to this thread, as a shameless plug of my efforts to explain how the dunyain survived 2000 years without inbreeding:
http://www.second-apocalypse.com/index.php?topic=993.msg8263#msg8263
Aw, thanks, that's yummy. Also makes you a pragma of demography.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 12:51:51 am »
Hardly a pragma of anything. I was just bored. Glad you got some enjoyment out of it.

Triskele

• The Afflicted Few
  • Kijneta
  • Condouchioned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 04:27:45 am »
"Pragma Wilshire, Where do children come from?"

A blow across the face sent the young monk reeling.

"Repeat the preposition!"
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 03:56:41 am by Triskele »

Phallus Pendulus

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 08:29:12 pm »
If this was a genuine Bakker text:

"Pragma Wilshire, Where do children come from?"

The sensation of Wilshire's obscene phallus in his rectum sent the young monk reeling. And, yet, the obscene sensation was not entirely painful...

"Repeat the proposition!"

Ever are all men deceived.

He gasped in obscenely obscene joy.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 03:29:32 pm by Wilshire »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 03:29:47 pm »
No misquoting on the slog ;)

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 04:48:47 pm »
I can see humans in general as a runaway weapons race!  So much of Earwa's past is hearsay, we could be in for some huge turn the world upside down revelations.  The nonman memories are so bad, they maybe working with a false history of their own. 

The Ark crashed on an unihabited world?  The passengers were nonmen who went out.  The humans were just a weaker line.  The nonmen who never left the Ark turned into Inchoroi, what?!?

SP, You got me thinking that the Dunyain may just keep some Nonmen in chains for breeding purposes.  They would be the ones to figure out what bloodlines can produce children