Steven Erikson (The 3.5 million word journey?)

• 198 Replies

Camlost

• The Ginger-Beard Wizard
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2015, 11:23:43 pm »
I was going through some files on my computer and came across this. I figured this might be illuminating for anyone starting or frustrated by the series

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2015, 04:54:37 pm »
Cool, thanks for the upload.

There is something similar posted on the Malazan forum with various read order suggestions.

I'm just reading in the order they are published , just the main series, but I can see where people might appreciate a more linear storyline and read it differently.

The only one I am currently reconsidering reading is Night of Knives as it obviously contains some more background that may potentially appreciate having.

The skipping back and forth between stories between books is pretty entertaining, but I expected this going in. Waiting a year or more to get sequel that didn't tie together any of the loose strings from the previous one(s) would have been enraging.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:21:33 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Camlost

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2015, 03:26:15 am »
I kind of wish I had discovered this when I had started the series. I remember having just gotten used to him jumping from story to story and then beginning the fifth book. It was nearly enough for me to quit. I persevered though, and after you wrap your head around the actual chronology of things it's less cumbersome of an experience.

The only one I am currently reconsidering reading is Knight of Knives
I've read Night of Knives and The Return of the Crimson Guard. They have a distinctly different "taste" to them, as well a disparity in writing quality. Not to say that the first is bad, but he certainly grew as a writer by the time the second was published; although I think that is quite common. I will say though, there are a number of rather significant events in RotCG which I felt were rather glossed over in the Erikson books that follow it in the chronology.

Waiting a year or more to get sequel that didn't tie together any of the loose strings from the previous one(s) would have been enraging.
I've always felt that the inclusion of relative dates would go a long way to tightening the series and assuaging new readers. I would be pissed to wait a year and get an entirely new story.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2015, 12:41:42 pm »
Through House of Chains.

Have to say that this one was my least favorite so far. I didnt have the same connections with the characters by the end, and there was less of a mad rush to finish it. Karsa was my favorite character, especially his first few chapters, and then he played a more minor role in the story as a whole. Would have like to see a lot more of him.

I'll move on to either Midnight Tides, or find Night of Knives and read that first, seems like there could be some good stuff in that one worth reading.

Raizen

• Suthenti
  • You have to be realistic about these things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2015, 01:21:34 pm »
Night of Knives you should be able to knock out in a week or less.  The writing is a step backwards since its Esslemont and his first in the series, but overall its pretty enjoyable.  Temper is a good new lead, very fun to watch.  The book starts off extremely slow, but there is a lot going on behind the scenes which changed my opinion of a few characters in other books.
Wisdom was naught but cunning made
grand, a weapon forged to win empty battles.

Camlost

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2015, 02:03:22 am »
Through House of Chains.

Have to say that this one was my least favorite so far...

I'll move on to either Midnight Tides, or find Night of Knives

House of Chains was actually my least favourite too. I enjoyed Karsa's bit, but I found it disjointed. I also found that the pacing and plot development of the latter half of the novel wasn't really on par with the previous installments. If you persevere though, I think you'll come to find that of any of the novels, House of Chains was board setting.

As Raizen mentioned, you should be able to finish Night of Knives in no time. I've heard from a lot of people that they really liked Trull Sengar (one of the main protagonists from Midnight Tides). For me though, I got hooked on Tehol Beddict

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2015, 02:10:31 am »
Yes I'm certainly going to carry on, and it did have the feel of info dropping and setting up future events, which had to happen at some point. I'mn not too disappointed.

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2015, 01:03:10 pm »
House of Chains was probably my least favorite as well. The plot just kind of wanders without anything actually happening and the ending was very anticlimactic. Not what I was expecting for the retributive campaign answering for the Chain of Dogs. I was also expecting Kallor and Gothos' brother to show up, given the title.

Halfway through Midnight Tides. I was beginning to question if I could finish the series but then there's a turning point where everything comes together and all of the setup was worth it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2015, 01:16:02 pm »
Just finished Midnight Tides last night. Overall I think it was a pretty great book. I loved Tehol and Bugg's interactions, had me laughing pretty hard more than once, and really made the book flow - I really didnt feel that it was slow.

Granted, this may have been more difficult had I not been looking forward to Bonehunters, where allegedly storylines start to converge, but I can't say that for sure. Either way, MT was a lot of fun to read.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2015, 04:49:10 pm »
Finished Bonehunters 9/12/15. Really liked this one. It flowed a bit better than MT, and  it was nice having all the old faces back. Maybe that't why I liked it so much, storylines converging is always a favorite of mine. Unfortunately I feel like I'm missing a lot, forgetting things, forgetting characters that show back up, and it makes me sad. This seems like a series that would be great to read each book more than once, but I just don't think I'll have the time. Maybe someday. Still an amazing series so far though.

Garet Jax

« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2015, 05:58:12 pm »
Working on that post count.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2015, 02:56:23 am »
Fixed :P. You should have reported me for spam.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2015, 08:54:51 pm »
Finished Reapers Gale 9/23/2015 (had some downtime at work this week...). I really enjoyed this book, probably contending for 2nd with GotM and DG. Without spoiling anything, geez, this one has all the feels. I was almost moved to tears once or twice. With all the storylines converging, it was nonstop fun the whole way, while still maintaining that feeling of mystery happening behind the scenes.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2015, 11:22:31 pm »
Your hitting the home stretch. I loved Reaper's Gale, especially the ending. I could never get enough of Bugg and Tehol.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Fiddler Farstrider

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2015, 07:11:02 pm »
Keep reading...for me it was an almost 18 month journey through the 10 Erikson novels, followed by the 6 ICE books.  I also highly reccomend  Forge of Darkness, the first book in the Kharkanas Trilogy(Fall of Light should be out in Spring).