• 103 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2013, 02:10:28 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
yeah, I thought it appropriate to this universe.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2013, 02:10:37 pm »
Quote from: xanmcgregor
Geshruni and Achamian sceene in tavern in Carythusal (chapter 1). I just love this scene, the environment, noises, screams, atmosphere, dynamics. You are simply dragged into this place, like you're sitting next to them and nothing is like it seems... every wrong step leads to death.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2013, 02:10:49 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
Quote from: xanmcgregor
Geshruni and Achamian sceene in tavern in Carythusal (chapter 1). I just love this scene, the environment, noises, screams, atmosphere, dynamics. You are simply dragged into this place, like you're sitting next to them and nothing is like it seems... every wrong step leads to death.

The juxtaposition of the whore and Akka is great, especially now after I've read all the books a few times. A great opening scene for Akka. "You lose, whore" is basically Akka's existence in a nutshell, given to us in his first appearance.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2013, 07:25:09 pm »
Though I didn't, or couldn't, grasp the awesomeness on my first read, looking back at the Inrau death scene is awesome. He's a bloody ninja, using his magic to move at lightning speeds, punching through chests with his hands, refusing to die un-witnessed and throwing himself off the balcony to try and save his doomed master. And the pillar he followed with his hand, down to the ground.
Amazing.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Davias

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2013, 07:42:59 pm »
My favourite scenes in the first book are Inrau's Death, the consult visiting Esmi, and Skeaös' esposure as a skin-spy.
The first time, Bakker described the synthetic bird and the following conversation, I was completely hooked to the story.
The night between Esmenet and the Inchoroi was a great scene, where we first saw a glimpse of the consult.
And the scene in the dungeon with Achamian, Xerius and Skeaös was the point, where I recognised, that this fantasy story was going to be really thrilling and epic.
One of the coolest scenes in the second book was the epilog in my opinion. "WHO ARE THE DUNYAIN?" Absolutely great epilog by Bakker!
And I LOVE all dialogs between Cnaiur and Kellhus. Especially written, when Cnaiur is the POV.

Mmmmhh, there are so many things, I could find in the books, but when I has to name the greatest scene, it is the first "clash between Kellhus and the consult in book three. It's a passage, which I could read every day anew. "The consult has finally come." and so on....fantastic reading.

Baztek

• Momurai
  • Aleph Jester
  • "We are all of us brothers. Read these."
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2013, 08:45:24 pm »
The Skaeos scene is so fucking chilling, man. There's something so unsettling about the Holy War getting ready to march, all these nations, all these leaders and generals and warriors and slaves, all eyes set on Shimeh, yet no one has the slightest clue they've been infiltrated by a cabal of horrific eldritch monsters from the north. There's such a palpable menace in that, especially when you consider the fact that probably the last time anyone saw Sarcellus or Skeaos is when they  went out to take a piss, only to get murdered by a skin-spy.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 10:33:10 pm »
I really do think its a shame that scenes like these are so few and far between. Like you said, it really isn't until too late where things start to get exciting, where the fantasy that people are expecting actually comes through.

Srancy

• Momurai
  • Unconditioned Shit Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2013, 04:58:42 pm »
Easily Achamian's walk to Kellhus' Imperial inauguration.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2013, 05:37:11 pm »
Not a commentary on your post, Srancy.

This is one of a number of threads where spoilers were flagrantly disregarded.

Lol, I cannot catch them all.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2013, 03:52:24 pm »
I almost said something then realized I probaly had some spoilers in here. Good move to this thread.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2013, 04:36:08 pm »
Hey, please, protest too much :). I'm attempting to embody the community consensus on decisions regarding the forum (which amounts to a collective vision by about ten of us at the moment). But obviously voice your dissent - how else shall we evolve our noosphere?

v0id_walker

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2013, 01:23:40 pm »
I love the part of book where Cnaiur and Kellhus meet for the first time and trvael to Mommen. Actually, these two are my favourite characters in these books. Cant wait for the unholly consul to be released.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2013, 04:40:44 pm »
Welcome to the forum v0id_walker. You are the 100th member to join. You get no prize, but its still cool.  ;)

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2013, 07:00:20 pm »
Kellhus & Cnaiur's journey across the Steppe is one of my favorite fantasy sentences ever.

Welcome to The Second Apocalypse, v0id_walker.

Also, Wilshire, numbers will drop a few once I can reliably identify the remaining Spam-Sranc among the Nonmen Erratics...
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Meyna

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2013, 08:25:20 pm »
Kellhus & Cnaiur's journey across the Steppe is one of my favorite fantasy sentences ever.

Seconded! The realization that dawns as Cnaiur takes the measure of the son and sees the father is brilliant (as are the initial seeds of supposed Dunyain philosophy that are sown in the readers head).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 08:28:15 pm by Meyna »
witness