YOU MUST TELL ME ... What else are you reading?

• 418 Replies

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
  • The quest--it is your master.
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #360 on: October 12, 2018, 06:12:37 pm »
Oh, I did. And yea, he's obviously critical of capitalism, which is perfect for me, but he could have stated it in fewer words.
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   
                          -Ajencis, the fourth analytic of man

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 12, 2018, 06:20:08 pm »
but he could have stated it in fewer words.

lmao. Yeah the whole series would be summed up in this manner I think. You're getting to the point where this really starts becoming apparent. Getting lost in the weeds as every minor character getting 50 pages of exposition, and novel-length side stories that don't progress the story. 1000 pages+ in each book, and half of it is relevant.

Still great, but if like most people you want your story to be ... well a story, with a start, middle, and ending, among other things (like a central cast of characters) ... it can get tedious.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #362 on: October 12, 2018, 11:09:49 pm »
I think it's done on purpose because Malazan is ultimately about the world itself and the ideas/history within it. However, this means that most characters are going to just be there and quite a few are rather boring tbh.

But, I'm glad I got into it. I would have never met my cinnamon roll, Itkovian, if I haven't.
Faith is the truth of passion. Since no passion is more true than another, faith is the truth of nothing.   

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 13, 2018, 06:40:19 pm »
Yeah I have conflicted feelings. It appears to ultimately be about the individuals and their stories. There isn't really a cohesive story arc that gets told in any real way - at least not in a typical way. The world is crushingly deep, the wold-building on a scale beyond anything I've seen. I think Malazan comes in at #2 as my all time favorite, second only to TSA, which is high praise, but it has its short comings. I think it'll probably dethroned from its #2 slot in the future as it was just too much to absorb, too much to reread, and so doesn't have the staying power as some of the shorter books/series that I can pick up and reread.

3.5 million words in Malazan's 10 book, compared to Bakker's what, 1million or TSA as is, maybe 1.25m if he ever finishes TSA.

That kind of scale is great if its the only book series you're ever going to read, and read it over and over, but for someone with a shit memory that likes to read a lot of different authors, its just not going to be my favorite.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #364 on: October 26, 2018, 12:10:14 am »
32% in the Bonehunters. I can only say: JESUS CHRIST...

Didn't think that would happen so soon.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #365 on: November 13, 2018, 08:31:51 pm »
46% Bonehunters. TBH, this one's a bit of a slower read.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 16, 2018, 06:35:49 pm »
Random question, but are any of the Star Wars books worth reading?

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 16, 2018, 07:04:39 pm »

Heir To the Empire (first book of the Thrawn Trilogy) which is not canonical anymore, is far and away the best.  Everything else is pretty poorly done and not at all worth the time.  The other two in the trilogy are also similarly good, but I would advise reading one and not the rest.  Honestly, they are probably better Star Wars stories than any of the actual Star Wars stories.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #368 on: November 22, 2018, 04:10:29 pm »
63% into the Bonehunters. Finally picking up again. Ah, Karsa, so right and so wrong.

Also peaked a bit more into Toll the Hounds...my, that was an oopsie.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 26, 2018, 07:33:06 pm »
Well, I finished up all 39 current volumes of the Berserk manga...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 26, 2018, 08:34:00 pm »

Heir To the Empire (first book of the Thrawn Trilogy) which is not canonical anymore, is far and away the best.  Everything else is pretty poorly done and not at all worth the time.  The other two in the trilogy are also similarly good, but I would advise reading one and not the rest.  Honestly, they are probably better Star Wars stories than any of the actual Star Wars stories.

I have only watched the first 6 movies and one of the more recent sequels. I've always felt that the star wars universe seemed pretty built on a pretty thin premise with loose rules that are quasi followed and largely just exploited in the end by the good guys because good guys win. Aside from the 'cool' factor of lightsabers, the Force seemed to be tacky application of magic in an otherwise generic scifi world.

Granted, movies tend to make bad renditions of books, and I can imagine something similar being said about Dune had they not read the books, which is why I asked. Now, nostalgia is a legit reason for reading and/or liking a book or series, but since I don't have any I think I'll possibly just skip it - but in a pinch maybe I'll pick up Heir to the Empire :P .

Thanks H!

63% into the Bonehunters. Finally picking up again. Ah, Karsa, so right and so wrong.

Also peaked a bit more into Toll the Hounds...my, that was an oopsie.

C'mon. You should know that pretty much the first rule of Malazan is don't look at any guides, wikis, or future books, as after about book 2, everything is a spoiler lol.

Dora Vee

• Kijneta
    • View Profile
    • Divinesong
« Reply #371 on: November 27, 2018, 12:02:16 am »
Well, I finished up all 39 current volumes of the Berserk manga...

And what do you think?

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 27, 2018, 02:28:31 pm »
And what do you think?

I liked it, but it did bother me a bit how "comic" it became at times and how "sprawling" it got near the end.

Just seems like there were more "side quests" than there really needed to be, but I realize the man's gotta eat, you know?

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 28, 2018, 01:27:34 pm »
And what do you think?

I liked it, but it did bother me a bit how "comic" it became at times and how "sprawling" it got near the end.

Just seems like there were more "side quests" than there really needed to be, but I realize the man's gotta eat, you know?

Wait, are you talking about Berserk, or Malazan? ;)

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 28, 2018, 02:23:10 pm »
Wait, are you talking about Berserk, or Malazan? ;)

Maybe there isn't a difference?

Saved me reading a whole 'nother series there.  Not really, wasn't going to read it anyway...