Who is your favourite character and why ??

• 30 Replies

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« on: April 23, 2016, 10:37:14 am »
I don't know if this question has been asked before or not but who is your favourite character and why ? mine is Akka of course.He basiclly have to deal with the worst shit in the world just because he is a good guy and he is the one who made the Aspect Emperor and then the emperor monk repays his kindness like this!!!! I hope that Kellhus dies in TUC ( he won't though)
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

- Chronicler of the Chroniclers

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 05:32:02 pm »
Cnaiur urs Skiotha, the Most Violent of All Men. Who'd have thought such a touching and sometimes horrifying personal story would come from a barbarian chief archetype. Cleric is pretty awesome too.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 06:24:55 pm »
Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, Redeagl. Glad you made it.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 06:42:44 pm »
I concur with @The Sharmat! Yatwer's Baby Daddy is my favorite nickname for CuS. His story gets me every time. From his teaching Kellhus the art of war, to the madness that sends him spiralling out of control, enough so to make Love to a skin spy. Think about that.....that's madness.

ETA: Also, welcome to SA!
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 06:48:26 pm »
Cnaiur urs Skiotha, the Most Violent of All Men. Who'd have thought such a touching and sometimes horrifying personal story would come from a barbarian chief archetype. Cleric is pretty awesome too.
Cnaiur ehhh i liked him in TDTCB  but when he starts to get mad in TWP and the Conphas rape scenes and then skin spy Serwe errr. However i will admit shedding a tear for him in TTT. He is really tragic.I agree about Cleric.

Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, Redeagl. Glad you made it.
  ;) :) Thanks again for the help

I concur with @The Sharmat! Yatwer's Baby Daddy is my favorite nickname for CuS. His story gets me every time. From his teaching Kellhus the art of war, to the madness that sends him spiralling out of control, enough so to make Love to a skin spy. Think about that.....that's madness.

ETA: Also, welcome to SA!
  Thank you.Looks like Cnaiur is a big favourite here.I liked his interactions with Kellhus ( I used to like Kellhus before TTT)  No love for old Akka ?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 06:55:11 pm by Redeagl »
“The thoughts of all men arise from the darkness. If you are the movement of your soul, and the cause of that movement precedes you, then how could you ever call your thoughts your own? How could you be anything other than a slave to the darkness that comes before?”

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 07:02:12 pm »
Yes, when I first read TDTCB, Akka was the character the kept me going. I couldn't stand Kellhus and all of his psychological musings and such.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 07:04:41 pm »
Lol - oh, we got a lot of love for Achamian too. Pretty much any character who... resists (probably the wrong word) the Dunyain to any degree. Any character Dunyain + 1 remove are some of the most tested, most interesting, and most resilient (or not) characters in fiction I've ever read about.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 07:37:57 pm »
Yes, when I first read TDTCB, Akka was the character the kept me going. I couldn't stand Kellhus and all of his psychological musings and such.
Kellhus was interesting, mysterious but interesting.He was not the character you would like and root for though.

Lol - oh, we got a lot of love for Achamian too. Pretty much any character who... resists (probably the wrong word) the Dunyain to any degree. Any character Dunyain + 1 remove are some of the most tested, most interesting, and most resilient (or not) characters in fiction I've ever read about.
My two other favourites are Esmenet,Mimara and Proyas but i would have liked them more if they resisted.The character that i hate more than anyone is Serwe.When she died my happines was something that will not be matched in my life but this will change when TGO is released.Hell even the cool guys in Glgotterath are more likeable than this.....Woman.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 08:59:37 pm by Redeagl »

The Sharmat

• Old Name
  • Horde General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 09:50:45 pm »
Oh, I like Akka. He's just not one of my favorites. I really enjoy Mimara though, in terms of less morally problematic protagonists.

Serwë was just a vessel for Kellhus. A weak and stupid person. But an important object lesson.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 10:26:48 pm »
Oh, I like Akka. He's just not one of my favorites. I really enjoy Mimara though, in terms of less morally problematic protagonists.

Serwë was just a vessel for Kellhus. A weak and stupid person. But an important object lesson.

I think that Leweth was the learning object for Kellhus. I actually liked Leweth alot, he is better than 99% of the population of Earwa. In Earwa you don't just help a stranger who has no food nor drink and will only complicate things for you and besides this stranger can probably be dead.Serwe was just a whore ( I hope that there is no feminists here ) for Kelllhus to have some fun and take some additional control besides.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 11:47:01 pm by Redeagl »

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 06:34:29 pm »
I think that Leweth was the learning object for Kellhus. I actually liked Leweth alot, he is better than 99% of the population of Earwa. In Earwa you don't just help a stranger who has no food nor drink and will only complicate things for you and besides this stranger can probably be dead.Serwe was just a whore ( I hope that there is no feminists here ) for Kelllhus to have some fun and take some additional control besides.

Well, I do believe Leweth to be one of the better humans we encounter in the books, we know sooo little of the day to day life of Earwa. We just are not told anything about the population. We don't see very much, if any, of the mundane. And, I believe there is more to Serwe than "just" a whore. Bakker once commented, that in a way she could be the most important character in the books. Locke has some great posts on this, and I think what makes her so important is the utter belief she shows in Kellhus. She might have just made him the Warrior Prophet.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 07:11:07 pm »

Well, I do believe Leweth to be one of the better humans we encounter in the books, we know sooo little of the day to day life of Earwa. We just are not told anything about the population. We don't see very much, if any, of the mundane. And, I believe there is more to Serwe than "just" a whore. Bakker once commented, that in a way she could be the most important character in the books. Locke has some great posts on this, and I think what makes her so important is the utter belief she shows in Kellhus. She might have just made him the Warrior Prophet.

Most of the series is about a huge army marching and fighting big battles so we don't know much about the low people, Akka's memories can indicate that they weren't the worst people but then we have the Men of the Tusk... If what you say about Serwe is true then you have just given me another reason to hate her  ;D

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 01:20:17 am »
Out of the mains, Achamian, he's the anchor of the series to me. He's so disillusioned with the world and his life at the beginning then comes to find love and faith, only to have it torn away from him, along with what remains of his sanity. Not to mention the circumstances. He realizes Esmenet truly loves him only because of the reality that the Second Apocalypse is beginning (and she believes him. And he finds belief in the man who has seduced and impregnated his wife. Akka's story is the embodiment of the epic absurdity that defines the series.

My favorite character to read though might be Eleazarus. His arrogance and obsession with jnan made him so fun to read, not to mention the contradiction that he's supposed to be someone who knows what's going on behind the scenes yet he's so clearly been played.

Redeagl

• Great Name
  • Pun Master
  • WHAT AM I ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 10:12:27 am »
Out of the mains, Achamian, he's the anchor of the series to me. He's so disillusioned with the world and his life at the beginning then comes to find love and faith, only to have it torn away from him, along with what remains of his sanity. Not to mention the circumstances. He realizes Esmenet truly loves him only because of the reality that the Second Apocalypse is beginning (and she believes him. And he finds belief in the man who has seduced and impregnated his wife. Akka's story is the embodiment of the epic absurdity that defines the series.

My favorite character to read though might be Eleazarus. His arrogance and obsession with jnan made him so fun to read, not to mention the contradiction that he's supposed to be someone who knows what's going on behind the scenes yet he's so clearly been played.

Akka is the main character of the series but he has been betrayed and broken.Maybe he can find a happy ending after all but I think that he will die "Sobs"
Eleazeras has been largely decived.His sections has been fun to read though.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2016, 11:47:16 am »

Indeed.  Along a similar line, Aurang is my favorite character.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira