Merchandising the Second Apocalypse

• 57 Replies

Cnaiür vs Karsa vs Drogo

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 06:18:12 pm »
I asked him in the AMA how he'd feel about replica chorae in titanium or steel or even in something darker like zircon. He did not answer me. I'd still really love a chorae.
Odaini Concussion Cant first, ask questions later...

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 06:50:41 pm »
I asked him in the AMA how he'd feel about replica chorae in titanium or steel or even in something darker like zircon. He did not answer me. I'd still really love a chorae.

Sad.
It's a pity that he doesn't do more about promotion or merchandise. With a little effort (and I think this is a matter more of his agents than of Bakker himself), the sales will increase a lot. Nowadays a solid social media presence is fundamental.
Not having that in mind it is a problem.

Think about what happened to Sapkowski, he sold his rights (only for videogames and videogames merchandise) of the Witcher series for a ridiculous amount (I think 20.000$ or so, and without a sales percentage) and now CD Projekt Red has earned tons of millions. Obviously it was twelve years ago and Sapkowski hadn't a clue that videogames could be the monster market that are today, and surely he has more readers now thanks for the videogames (like GRRM for the TV series), but what a fucking mistake he made.

And seriously what are agents for nowadays? What is their fucking job?
 If an inferior and poorer written series (IMHO) as Rothfuss' had a big promotion and in consequence sales, why not Bakker? He deserves better as the terrific writer he is.

There are lots of ciphrang nerds (like us) waiting in the Outside to devour any brand new product. Why closing the world? Maybe selling figurines and spending time in promotion are damnation for writers, but it's not so fucking bad when that can help a lot in the bank account and to achieve a greater audience.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:15:36 pm by Woden »
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2017, 07:01:11 pm »
What line is crossed, and why? But what if it serves the greater good - couple of t-shirts and a sranc figurine funding all of Bakker's future writing?
Making money out of somebody else's intellectual property in violation of their wishes is immoral. It is no different from theft as far as I'm concerned.

I'd have to agree, unfortunately, as I'd like to raise an army of figurata to march us to the publication of TNG.

Obviously, if Bakker says it's OK to sell stuff in order to cover the costs of running this site, then that is a different matter.
Just making the argument. I have no real interest, and the costs are paltry such as they are.

unless he consents, his world is not yours to sell.
I very much like this line. You're quite quotable, Duskweaver :) .
---

Lets all assume for the sake of conversation that we live in a fantasy world where Bakker sanctions such things as discussed here. For the record, I doubt this would ever happen.

One of the other conditions of possibility.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 07:10:20 pm »
Spoiler tagged because its kind of off topic.

(click to show/hide)

More on topic:
Earwa: Total War was almost a thing once (Bakker mentioned it on TPB once or twice). That would have been great :D .

PON Amazon original movie (tv series?) also was once in the cards, but fell through.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2017, 07:14:19 pm »
Earwa TW would have been fucking awesome and it doesn't piss me off like the current Warhammer TW.

Likaro

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2017, 07:26:34 pm »
Sranc faction is totally OP. Needs balancing in the next patch.

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2017, 07:35:18 pm »

HAHAHAH

The good thing is the traditional poor AI would not be a problem for the sranc faction,  they are fucking crazy rapers so why bother about strategy at all.

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2017, 07:44:05 pm »
Earwa TW would have been fucking awesome and it doesn't piss me off like the current Warhammer TW.

HAHAHAH

The good thing is the traditional poor AI would not be a problem for the sranc faction,  they are fucking crazy rapers so why bother about strategy at all.

Inchoroi are an interesting cross between protoss and zerg, but largely just zerg with remnant tech. Humans obviously terran, throw in some nonmen heroes though, and its all iron age tech so basically Warcraft: Earwa.

That's just how I imagine it though since I've never played TW in any depth - I get the concept of grand strategy but my heart lies with starcraft.

Ciogli

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2017, 09:26:26 pm »
Of course Bakker would be involved,  it is his world after all.  He would get the ball rolling and approve designs.  I used to have transformers figures as a kid,  collect enough and you could recreate the battle of Pir Pahal that Akka saw in Cil Aujas complete with Sil and Nin Janjin.  Nonman chariots and the Tall,  sranc and bashrag,  cinderswords,  the imagery is there for it.
The world holds no terrors for me, I stand naked as the falling sword, I am the Terror.

Likaro

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2017, 10:33:57 pm »
Not buying unless black semen is involved.

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2017, 03:50:17 am »
It's a pity that he doesn't do more about promotion or merchandise. With a little effort (and I think this is a matter more of his agents than of Bakker himself), the sales will increase a lot. Nowadays a solid social media presence is fundamental.
Not having that in mind it is a problem.
The only thing you need is a facebook profile and maybe a twitter that announces new books, previews and blog essays. You don't have to ask your readers to donate to your patreon or like and subscribe like some youtubing douchebag, you just have to announce things.

Also, a SA RTS would be awesome. Rushing to tier 3 for those Soggomant-armored Inversi my man.

EdwardReynolds

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2017, 08:34:09 am »
Obviously. I hope he consent. And why not doing more promotion of his books or at least let others keep his page actualized?

Bakker has stated several times he is interested in no alternate revenue streams bar book sales. Hes a 50 year old dinosaur blinkered to the modern age, which is his own prerogative.
I just got a plain t shirt, some spray paint and cut out a Circumfix stencil by hand. Boom. Its not hard to whip stuff up for your self, if he wont take your money give it to people who will sell you the materials to make your own fan items. Just dont sell what you create and theres nothing anyone can do about it :)

Made a "I bear your fathers and brothers upon my arms" over a red horse skull shirt years ago. It aint hard to come up with dope ideas!

Zealously

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2017, 09:35:50 am »
I never bought a figurine but I swear by the Hundred that I would buy a fucking whole horde of sranc if available.

Imagine that! A thousand mini-Sranc, drowning the (kitchen table) horizon, the shadow of the (ceiling-mounted lamp-)Horns falling on them...

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2017, 09:37:49 am »
I never bought a figurine but I swear by the Hundred that I would buy a fucking whole horde of sranc if available.

Imagine that! A thousand mini-Sranc, drowning the (kitchen table) horizon, the shadow of the (ceiling-mounted lamp-)Horns falling on them...

Anb black seed everywhere.

Cnaiür vs Karsa vs Drogo

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2017, 08:34:44 pm »
Wouldnt a titanium chorae in a leather, triple-crescent-marked pouch be awesome???

Why not make this??? Whyyyy?????
Odaini Concussion Cant first, ask questions later...