• 6 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« on: June 02, 2013, 12:56:09 am »
Quote from: Callan S.
I was thinking today of writing - either web comic or otherwise, and what material to do so with. Comin' up with a blank.

And I thought, but surely not - what do I want to do in the real world? There's got to be things and I can just take from that.

Then the recursive hits me - but wouldn't it be to bring in atleast a minor income from writing and passing that on. Okay, there's no problem with bending probabilities to my prefered outcome and selling the product. That's not a problem.

What is a problem is depiction.

When I think of it, it almost literally comes to my imagination as a flame wreathed object. For it's utterly self referential, yet undefined. Like when a camera looks upon a screen that projects what the camera sees. But worse.

It even strikes me that to strive to write is potentially to hit this problem - that one only dreams of writing, so as to strive for it, not other things, and so one is left with something that can't be rendered, for how it can't have been rendered.

Maybe it's the closest you get to eyeballing your own conciousness? Certainly like sleep, the more you grasp, the more what is grasped for eludes you. Maybe that's why writing competitions like nanowrimo work, because you strive to win the comp (by word count) more than you strive to write?

It's just a hell of a weird dead end, so I thought I'd share!

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 12:56:20 am »
Quote from: sciborg2
"No soul is pure Callan, my good and faithful servant. You long for simplicity, as is your virtue, but remember, as Kanye would say, we are war with yourselves."
 -Kellhus

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 12:56:28 am »
Kanye West?

Ba-sides, where ya been, man? :)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 12:56:35 am »
Quote from: Madness
Ba-sides, where ya been, man? :)

+1. I owe you title[/b] should you want it, sci.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 12:56:41 am »
Quote from: sciborg2
I've actually been lurking here, reading some of the Three Seas stuff. I ran out of story ideas for the story-a-day though, and stopped writing altogether for a bit.

Title? Hmmmm. "Contrarian Wanker" fits.

eta: In Jesus Walks, Kanye at some point says "We're at war with ourselves".

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 12:56:48 am »
Quote from: Francis Buck
Yeah I've been neglecting this place a bit, mainly because I accidentally lost all my bookmarks, and I tend to migrate to the stuff that's at the top of my bookmark bar. Added back in now though.

What happened with your NaNo story Callan? Are you still working with that at all?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 12:56:57 am »
Hi Francis, thanks for asking :)

I essentially wrote 50k in non sequential blocks. Like textual lego I could plug them together, with a bit more text as glue. It's a question of order and...something-something-literature! But writers block strangely haunts me here - I dunno, I got the 50k out for nano, but then the goal was clear: write 50k. Now the goal is lost in the infinity of a blue sky and I guess analysis paralysis grabs me. Then add on the likely absent fiscal element. It's funny how with nano the prize of winning is one of honour - that's not exactly tangible. And yet I was willing to work for non tangible food! It's like working for high fives! Now the reward is nothing - even less than the non tangible or a high five!

Well, that's enough possitivism from me!