Two Sentence Scary Stories

• 35 Replies

Garet Jax

« on: October 19, 2015, 06:18:42 pm »
I saw this on the internet this morning and figured this would be a good place to drum up some scary shit.  Please make up your own or share some that you have seen in the past.

Here are a couple examples of what I have ran across today:

"I can't sleep", she whispered, crawling into bed with me.  I woke up cold, clutching the dress that she was buried in.

"The doctors told the amputee he might experience a phantom limb from time to time.  Nobody prepared him for the moments though, when he felt cold fingers brush across his phantom hand."

"There was a picture in my phone of me sleeping in my bed from last night.  I live alone."

"I awoke to the sound of the baby monitor crackling with a voice comforting my first born child.  As I adjusted to a new position, my arm brushed against my wife, sleeping next to me."

I will attempt to come up with my own when time permits.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 06:21:13 pm by Garet Jax »

Francis Buck

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 11:46:02 pm »
One time I had a dream about going to see a movie; I don't know what the flick was supposed to be but I was incredibly excited for it, and when I got to the theater and saw that it was empty, I became even more thrilled and sat down right in the middle. After a moment the screen flickered, and there appeared an image of some woman in a cornfield at dusk, staring directly at me, and it seemed like there was whispering and muffled laughter all around the vacant theater, until the woman walked forward so that her face nearly filled the screen, and just as I realized that she was in fact my grandmother (who was long dead, and I only knew her youthful appearance from old photographs), she raised a finger to her lips as if to say "hush", but she only smiled before the screen instantly went black -- and then I awoke covered in sweat and my heart pounding, more frightened than I'd been from any nightmare about monsters or murderers.

Francis Buck

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 02:12:15 am »
Last week I was hungry, so I ordered a pizza. I killed myself when I saw who delivered it.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 05:23:33 am »
Last week I was hungry, so I ordered a pizza. I killed myself when I saw who delivered it.

hi hungry, i'm dad!

GJ, this reminds me of https://www.reddit.com/r/sixwordstories/top/?sort=top&t=all

let's see....

Tommy slept without a night light for the first time in two years.  He wasn't scared of the dark or anything else now that the cops had found old Father Kelly's body.

hmm

St. George never forgot his deadly duel with the Dragon.  The beast had looked him straight in the eye and said "George, you're having a psychotic break with reality because you found out you have AIDS."

orrr

I don't mind being haunted by the ghost of my sister.  I'm just curious of why she won't let me go into the basement.

blah

"I'm a virgin" he told his prom date.  She didn't say anything because she was dead and because she was absent and because he was all alone in the last functioning fallout shelter.

They say that when aliens abduct you, they probe your anus.  They don't tell you that aliens never clean the probe.

As an undertaker, Matt Grissom will tell you that it is a myth that funeral home personnel have sex with the corpses in their care.  Really, the dead are almost never in the mood.

The voices in my head keep telling me to kill my parents.  I'm like "HELLO, did that six years ago!"

I tore open the box from Amazon and lifted The Great Ordeal up to the light.  The book slid out of its slip cover, banged on the floor, and opened to the title page "A Dance With Dragons."

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 05:34:03 am »
Ronald came home early from work, picking up flowers for his wife on the way.  He knew what was going on the moment he saw the thing laying on top of the cast off clothes in the kitchen: the 11 inch holly wand.

"You need two fillings and a route canal, Mr. Holden.  Your insurance doesn't cover route canals but that won't be a problem since you're chained to my cellar floor."

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 08:30:44 am »
What about one sentence?

When I withdrew my lips from his I studied my grandfathers face with confusion as he withdrew the knife from my heart.

Alia

• Kijneta
  • Of The Knife
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 10:30:09 am »
There's one I read somewhere and still remember. "Baby shoes for sale. Never used."
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom - William Blake

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 12:05:45 pm »
There's one I read somewhere and still remember. "Baby shoes for sale. Never used."

those 2 sentences have so much punch.  i think that this is from Hemingway and is the inspiration for the subreddit i posted upthread.  someone in that reddit did

Five zombies, four bullets.  Two zombies.

My dads met at Bible camp.

Sticks. Spears. Swords. Guns. Nukes. Sticks.

Camlost

• The Ginger-Beard Wizard
  • Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 02:07:02 pm »

I love this story actually. Legend has it that Hemingway and a group of fellow authors were out having a drink discussing their craft and all the jazz. During said discussion, Hemingway claims that he can write a complete, moving story in just six words. All those gathered are incredulous and jeer at him, so he proceeds to bet them each a drink. Hemingway then grabs a napkin and writes out "For sale: baby shoes. Never used." and passes it around the table. In turn, each of them read the napkin and concede how dramatically wrong they had been; and big burly drunk that Hemingway was, he collects on a table full of drinks  ;D

I had a handful of stories I had been saving up for the day this thread got started and now I can't seem to find them on my computer. So, off the top of my head:

She pressed her lips to my forehead and crawled into bed next to me. They were just as cold as the last time I buried her.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 02:10:08 pm by Camlost »

Francis Buck

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 10:42:06 pm »
Yeah that one's like the paragon of the whole style, and easily the best example I've personally seen. To be entirely honest I don't often find myself very impressed with most flash fiction I see, but every once in a while I see some good pieces. Then again I'm a pretentious, self-absorbed aspiring writer with unrealistically high "standards" for what I consider good (or more precisely, works that actually affect me in some meaningful way), so my opinions on these -- which are often just meant to be some simple fun -- is probably totally out of whack.

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 12:12:08 am »
I woke, hazy light filtering through the thin curtains, and noticed my mother's loving smile above me.  I started to smile back, but she reminded me where I was when she leaned her weight into the saw, pain exploding through my shin.
No whistling on the slog!

Camlost

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 03:38:49 am »
Our first mistake was assuming that Darkness is the absence of Light. Our second was turning on the light.

Camlost

• Momurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 04:50:24 am »
He tappex his foot rhythmically to the sultry crooning of a woman on the radio. It wasn't until after he turned it up that he remembered the power was out.

Francis Buck

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 04:56:17 am »
Our first mistake was assuming that Darkness is the absence of Light. Our second was turning on the light.

Yo, I really dig this. Even just the first line alone is super evocative.

I'm realizing that my last post was poorly worded. A better way to express what I meant (perhaps -- I don't read a lot of flash fiction stuff so I'm kind of parsing my feelings as I go here) is that I'm unimpressed with them perhaps simply because of the "scary" label. Hemingway's piece, while potentially disturbing of course, more importantly has depth. It gives you just enough to stimulate your mind with possibilities.

mrganondorf

• Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 12:54:28 pm »
He tappex his foot rhythmically to the sultry crooning of a woman on the radio. It wasn't until after he turned it up that he remembered the power was out.

i'm really feeling this one!  special compliments on your construction--the last word clinches it