Hello

• 21 Replies

Gaby Moreno

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« on: October 14, 2014, 03:27:38 pm »
New to R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing series--new to the forum.  When I saw the Nietzsche quote at the beginning of The Darkness That Comes Before, I knew it was probably going to be pretty good.  :)

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 03:43:13 pm »
Two new people posting in a day? Must be some kind of record. Great to see another fan make it to the forum. Welcome.

I'll give you the same advice I just gave the other new person (sorry if you already read it): be careful what topics you open up if you are sensitive about spoilers. Stay away from the General Earwa boards as they aren't spoiler tagged. As kind of an open rule, each board has tagged spoilers for anything beyond that book. So the Thousandfold Thought forum will not have story spoilers tagged for anything in the first 3 books, but should for those that come after.

If you have specific questions/thoughts, feel free to make a topic. Some of the boards are sparsely populated, like TDTCB board, but there are no restrictions on making new topics or posting anywhere.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)

Bolivar

• Great Name
  • The Articulate Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 05:55:45 pm »
Welcome to the forums Gaby!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 11:42:42 pm »
Welcome to the Second Apocalypse, GM.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Gaby Moreno

• Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 03:32:54 pm »
Thank you all for the warm welcome.  I do have a quick question.  I'm about halfway through The Darkness That Comes Before and I am enjoying it.  However, I'm starting to hear rumors about R. Scott Bakker being anti-woman.  I haven't detected any of that so far, but I don't think I want to continue paying for his works if he is indeed against women.  Any input?

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 03:37:46 pm »
I haven't detected any of that so far, but I don't think I want to continue paying for his works if he is indeed against women. Any input?

You cannot wade into the intranet searching for Bakker and not be exposed to this kind of polarization.

I'd just keep reading for yourself. And hopefully you'll engage the community before you leave, if the books do turn you away.
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Garet Jax

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 03:47:16 pm »
Thank you all for the warm welcome.  I do have a quick question.  I'm about halfway through The Darkness That Comes Before and I am enjoying it.  However, I'm starting to hear rumors about R. Scott Bakker being anti-woman.  I haven't detected any of that so far, but I don't think I want to continue paying for his works if he is indeed against women.  Any input?

Definitely something that you need to decide for yourself.  I personally do not buy into the "Bakker is against women" movement though, to answer your question.  Don't buy it just because it's on sale, GM.

TSA is definitely an awesome achievement of writing and I suggest you stick to reading it, especially as you seem to enjoy it so far.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts as you read through the series!

Royce

• Old Name
  • The Resplendent
  • There are no facts,only interpretations- Nietzsche
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 07:40:18 pm »

This is something that still baffles me. That thought never even crossed my mind while reading the books. The reason for that is that there is so much more going on here, and I honestly still can not understand why people get caught up on this issue.

You have to read it yourself, because it can not be discussed without spoilers.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 08:11:07 pm by Royce »

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 09:32:09 pm »
I, personally, don't see any of that.

Read it for yourself and decide, would be my only advice. Those that speak the loudest, in my experience, are seldom the most correct.

themerchant

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Captain Slogger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 09:46:48 pm »
I've seen it said as well. A couple of times on "Westeros" a scene has been brought up, and the "accuser's" memory of what happened in the scene invariably turns out to be a false recollection once you examine the text. Other claims were made by someone who had read only 5 pages of the book as well.

However I'm far from the greatest reader so it may well be the case it flew over my head and it does exist outside of what's covered in the metaphysics of the universe he created.

Read and find out as the late RJ might say.

SilentRoamer

• The Smiling Knife
  • Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 11:05:53 pm »
Welcome to the series and to the forum.

Personally I never had any problems with Bakker and his treatment of women, do women get a rough deal? Sure. But only slightly more than everyone else and its as a direct result of the setting. There is no stupidity like Goodkind or glamming like Outlander.

mrganondorf

• The Mouth of Bakker Fans
  • Old Name
  • Nurse Leweth
  • PSUKHE ALL THE THINGS!
    • View Profile
    • R. Scott Bakker Fans (on Twitter)
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 12:05:30 am »
i like Bakker but don't know anything about the issue but...

to me, it's a big big deal to distinguish between the author's views and the character's views.  i mean it even drives me crazy that people refer to Kierkegaard as the author of Fear and Trembling.  Kierkegaard is the author of the character, Johannes de Silencio, who is the author of F&T.  it's like saying that Bakker is the author of The Compendium of the First Holy War.  Bakker is and isn't in important ways.  i have opinions!!!

Gaby, glad u are on the forum, hope u stay, i think Bakker is in the nascent stage of glory and we can all tell the next generation "yes, i remember when it happened, when hardly anyone knew his name"

Aural

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 12:09:54 am »
i think Bakker is in the nascent stage of glory and we can all tell the next generation "yes, i remember when it happened, when hardly anyone knew his name"

Oh, if that were only true...

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 03:27:02 am »
i think Bakker is in the nascent stage of glory and we can all tell the next generation "yes, i remember when it happened, when hardly anyone knew his name"

Oh, if that were only true...

It could happen...