• 228 Replies

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
    • First Second Apocalypse
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2013, 08:38:54 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
the question is, from where and why does Kellhus know what superstition is that he labels Leweth as superstitious?  I presumed that Kellhus' use of this vocabulary indicates a cultural instruction in such vocabulary, because I doubt it would be picked up from Leweth who would view his beliefs as true (and note everything he tells Kellhus is true, despite kellhus not believing him).

Or the use of superstition as a term does not indicate extra meaning or Dunyain practices and was just a writerly tactic employed by RSB to flatter the reader into agreement and identification with Kellhus.  RSB wants the reader to identify with Kellhus because he plans on undermining that identification.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2013, 08:39:01 pm »
Quote from: coobek
Kelhus is just lying liar that lies. Circumfixion bah.
He is after Tekne and he wants to be on top of Consult for the means of control. Maybe to release the No-God again.

But Storks and Seswatha/Akka will not allow it.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2013, 08:39:07 pm »
Quote from: Curethan
Quote from: Madness
First off, I doubt entirely that an entity of the Outside has actually ordained Kellhus as Fanayal, Psatma, or allegedly Fane and Sejenus. I've never boughten into the Circumfixion, that if Kellhus connected to the Outside, or been chosen by the God of Gods, it wasn't just the breaking of madness' bead, a la Achamian analogy.

Which is the same thing.  Breaking the bead allows the outside to leak into the world through a soul.  Why wouldn't an outside agency make use of this?  Especially if the broken soul has attracted the interest of said agencies through profane or holy actions/intent beforehand.  See Cnaiur's further musings on Akka's analogy in TTT.

You don't think Fanayal, Psatma, the Narinadar, the WLW and Kelmomas are cray cray? 
Worship and belief seem just as crazy in Earwa as they do in our world.  "Having faith in ignorance" ... "prizing ignorance". Bakker constantly depicts it as errant madness.  The difference is that this form of insanity grants temporal power to the things outside...

Quote from: coobek
Kelhus is just lying liar that lies. Circumfixion bah.
He is after Tekne and he wants to be on top of Consult for the means of control. Maybe to release the No-God again.

But Storks and Seswatha/Akka will not allow it.

If you consider that the Tekne would be useful for Kellhus' objectives, perhaps you should consider the way he was manipulated the Ordeal into eating Sranc - the products of the Tekne.
Add a little something-something to the water and hey presto we're applying the Tekne to his army.

Then you have Cleric and Kosoter (Kellhus' agents) forcing Qirri on Akka and Mimara.  What if Cu'jara's ashes have been tampered with?

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2013, 08:39:13 pm »
Quote from: lockesnow
the question is, from where and why does Kellhus know what superstition is that he labels Leweth as superstitious? I presumed that Kellhus' use of this vocabulary indicates a cultural instruction in such vocabulary, because I doubt it would be picked up from Leweth who would view his beliefs as true (and note everything he tells Kellhus is true, despite kellhus not believing him).

+1

Quote from: Curethan
Which is the same thing. Breaking the bead allows the outside to leak into the world through a soul. Why wouldn't an outside agency make use of this? Especially if the broken soul has attracted the interest of said agencies through profane or holy actions/intent beforehand. See Cnaiur's further musings on Akka's analogy in TTT.

You don't think Fanayal, Psatma, the Narinadar, the WLW and Kelmomas are cray cray?
Worship and belief seem just as crazy in Earwa as they do in our world. "Having faith in ignorance" ... "prizing ignorance". Bakker constantly depicts it as errant madness. The difference is that this form of insanity grants temporal power to the things outside...

I don't think they are the same thing - though that is an interesting tack and perhaps something I'd not entertained because I'd not thought of it. It certainly is a prevalent bias in the Biblical World...

Lol, hmm... I will have to think about this. Shouldn't Cnaiur's perspective be ripe for examples of a God's agency? As per my arguments; Fate prompting Achamian to tell the lie about Saughlish, Sorweel's words being kicked from his lungs as Kellhus declares him Believer-King, Onkis telling Inrau to run, etc.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2013, 08:39:18 pm »
Quote from: The Tiger of Eumarna
DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHEN THIS IS COMING OUT?? I CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER!

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2013, 08:39:25 pm »
Lol, I think we're all there with you, Tiger. Bakker had mentioned that he has been "camped on the outskirts of Golgotterath for awhile now, and it gets hard, sometimes, keeping things distinct, sorting the theoretical moods from the narrative, deciding what’s besieging what, and who’s storming whom," on the second last blog.

Whatever that means ;). I have a feeling the associations were meant to extend to his philosophic musings.

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2013, 08:39:31 pm »
Quote from: Wilshire
The number of off topic posts:

(click to show/hide)

What Came Before

• Administrator
  • Emwama
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2013, 08:39:41 pm »
Quote from: Callan S.
I wish I was too damn high.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2013, 01:42:28 pm »
And the contenders are...

1. Kellhus
2. Consult
3. Batman!
4. That's Not Ishual
5. Dunyain Did It To Themselves
6. Cishaurim
7. Moenghus the Elder
8. Moenghus the Elder (to create Dunyain Cishaurim)
9. Mekeritrig
10. Ishterebinth (Nonmen)
11. Wutteat

The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2013, 02:52:12 pm »
All viable really. Except I think Batman would have trouble against a swarm of dunyain.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:02:02 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2013, 04:36:00 pm »
Just went through the thread and collected them all.

For my money, I'm still guessing Dunyain did it themselves, or then Wutteat, even though the Consult have been looking for the Dunyain since TWP.
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Somnambulist

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Incontinent Water-bearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2013, 12:05:51 am »
My money is on Kellhus himself.  He pretty much ripped apart portions of Sakarpus without breaking a sweat, so Ishual probably wouldn't have been able to withstand the meta-gnostic H-bomb he could unleash.  The deeper question for me is why?  The most obvious reasons have already been stated, but what about this?

The level of in-breeding that must have taken place in Ishual (a closed system) for 2,000 years would pretty much ensure that everyone's blood was mixed together.  I highly doubt there would be any 'pure' bloodlines there.  How could there be?  And why would the dunyain care to maintain separate ones?  So my postulation is that all dunyain in Ishual were, more or less, Anasurimbors.  Why else would the dunyain send Moenghus out on an errand, find that he's been corrupted, then exile him.  He obviously wasn't that important to the society.  Then, years later, he demands his son be sent to him.  Again, the dunyain send another Anasurimbor away.  Anasurimbors must have been ten-a-penny in Ishual.  :)  So, Kellhus, not needing the headache that would come from a village of Anasurimbors 'returning at the end of the world' prompted him to wipe them all out.

Anyway, that's my crackpot theory.
No whistling on the slog!

Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2013, 02:04:03 pm »
Lol, some good thoughts, Somnambulist.

Gah! I can't believe the mystery Bakker's managed to walk with Ishual... Tantalizing!
The Existential Scream
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2013, 03:47:43 pm »
As far as crackpot theories go, thats pretty reasonable.
If it truly was Kellhus, that probably had something to do with it. Could have been that he knew that you can't really control a dunyain so better to kill them all than deal with that headache.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:02:13 pm by Wilshire »
One of the other conditions of possibility.

locke

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2013, 04:49:23 pm »
My money is on Kellhus himself.  He pretty much ripped apart portions of Sakarpus without breaking a sweat, so Ishual probably wouldn't have been able to withstand the meta-gnostic H-bomb he could unleash.  The deeper question for me is why?  The most obvious reasons have already been stated, but what about this?

The level of in-breeding that must have taken place in Ishual (a closed system) for 2,000 years would pretty much ensure that everyone's blood was mixed together.  I highly doubt there would be any 'pure' bloodlines there.  How could there be?  And why would the dunyain care to maintain separate ones?  So my postulation is that all dunyain in Ishual were, more or less, Anasurimbors.  Why else would the dunyain send Moenghus out on an errand, find that he's been corrupted, then exile him.  He obviously wasn't that important to the society.  Then, years later, he demands his son be sent to him.  Again, the dunyain send another Anasurimbor away.  Anasurimbors must have been ten-a-penny in Ishual.  :)  So, Kellhus, not needing the headache that would come from a village of Anasurimbors 'returning at the end of the world' prompted him to wipe them all out.

Anyway, that's my crackpot theory.

Here's a crackpot theory, Anasurimbor souls are more useful than mundane souls, so Kellhus has enslaved all the souls of the Dunyain into new dread machinery (ala the gate to the library).

Also, they needn't necessarily be all Anasurimbors, though your series makes sense, Charles Stross outlines a 'braiding' system of six-ish bloodlines in his Merchant series than manages to prevent too much inbreeding by deliberately controlling who is mated with who, and maintains familial identity.

hell for the Dunyain project of breeding, family line is probably more important than any other identity, because a genetic shorthand (family name) is useful to the breeding project.