Madness

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Conversational Batman
  • Strength on the Journey - Journey Well
    • View Profile
    • The Second Apocalypse
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2017, 01:22:55 am »
Steak pie - and all kinds of meat pies - have long been things.

On topic, my favorite pie is and always (probably) will be lemon meringue.

I should've guessed at that - Lemon Meringue would be one of the more "mad" pies

Lol, is it?
The Existential Scream
Weaponizing the Warrior Pose - Declare War Inwardly
carnificibus: multus sanguis fluit
Die Better
The Theory-Killer

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2017, 10:15:00 am »
Yeah, the place I grew up with was run by Italian New Yorkers making NY Style pizza. A couple of them didn't speak English. I've had amazing pizza in NY as well. But wouldn't you know it - like for real ( I know about everything I say is a lie - but not this ), the best pizza of my life was in San Francisco - OMG - it was NY style run by an Italian ( so same stuff you get in NY, just made in SF ) and changed my life. I actually re-visted just to get more of that pizza. I got married with kids, so haven't been back in a long time, not sure it's still there.

So I guess pizza pie wins the contest as best pie ...

I once drove, with a couple friends, into rural Pennsylvania to pick someone up from college.  We stopped at a pizza place, went in, figured we'd just get one pizza, so we told the woman, "one pie, with pepperoni."

Well, after several minutes of the workers curiously staring at us, seemingly not understanding, and us, wondering if they spoke English or perhaps that somehow we were not, we arrived at the revelation that calling a pizza "a pie" is apparently not something done in that neck of the woods...the women thought we wanted an apple pie.

Ironically, the only decent pizza I have ever had was from a place called Brooklyn Pizza, in New Orleans.  Fitting, really.  Most places here though fail to understand the pizza isn't just about how much cheese and toppings you can possibly pile up...
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2017, 10:25:58 am »
What you call pizza is very different to what a made in Italy pizza is. I don't say better or worse, just different. ;)
Know what your slaves believe, and you will always be their master.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2017, 10:47:52 am »
What you call pizza is very different to what a made in Italy pizza is. I don't say better or worse, just different. ;)

Yeah, but that's half a world away, haha.

My favorite kind of pizza is one where there is more sauce than cheese though.  Fresh basil, maybe some pepperoni too. 
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2017, 10:49:49 am »
Quote from: H
Most places here though fail to understand the pizza isn't just about how much cheese and toppings you can possibly pile up...

And here we come to the crux of pizza. Living in WV we getting meat lovers from Pizza Hut and stuffed crust pizza, gimmick pizza I grew up on. So, whilst drunk in NY and ordered my slice with pepperoni, my buddy stops me and says, "No, you don't want pepperoni, just cheese. Pepperoni ruins it." He was right, best pizza ever in my life. We do have a place in town now that is Italian cuisine and the make a passable NY style pie. Not the real deal though.

[EDIT Madness: Quote tags.]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 02:59:53 pm by Madness »
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2017, 10:53:51 am »
Yeah, of course. Tasty in any case.

But in Italy don't ask for pepperoni because they call it just salami and some mammas will pretend not to understand you. Peperone is just the pepper.

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2017, 11:02:36 am »
Yeah, if the pizza is real good, you don't need pepperoni.

But most places, like Pizza Hut, the "sauce" is essentially tomato paste with water and oregano stirred in.  A definite invitation for heart-burn, especially for me.  At least, in those cases, pepperoni makes it taste like something...

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2017, 06:05:07 pm »
Warning; graphics gross gastronomic gut-check follows...

EARWA'S BEST! Pizza Pie-

Deliver to:
A. Kellhus
The Umbilicus
c/o The Great Ordeal
Northern Agongorea

Order in-
2000 large pies.
Ce Tydonni sourdough crust
Scranc-seed sauce
W/ extra cheese
Bashrag-blood sausage crumbles
Onions,
Topped with shavings of our signature gutted, rutted, and dried Scalded Scabs...

Very funny, love it - nice touch throwing in the Onions, it would be missing "something" without it. The Scranc-seed sauce your mother's recipe?
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2017, 06:34:53 pm »
HAHAHAHA

Knee that Bends

• Suthenti
  • Only a dûnyain deals in absolutes
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2017, 07:32:29 pm »
I don't consider myself much of a bakker (hehe) but I gotta go with key lime. fuck now I'm hungry
"And I renounce..." He trailed, warred with errant pas­sions. "I renounce my wife."
His eyes fell upon Esmenet, stricken upon the floor. My wife!
"Noooo," she wept and whispered. "Pleaaase, Akka..."
"As an adulteress," he continued, his voice cracking, "and a... a..."
His face a mask of nimil, he turned without leave, began walking back the way he came. The Men of the Tusk stared at him dumbstruck

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2017, 02:37:57 pm »
Key Lime - a richer soul among us pirates - doss thou reveal their geography? South Florida, perhaps?

Knee that Bends

• Suthenti
  • Only a dûnyain deals in absolutes
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2017, 07:00:06 am »
Key Lime - a richer soul among us pirates - doss thou reveal their geography? South Florida, perhaps?
Bay area, Ca! And as a sailor and person working in the maritime industry, I approve!
"And I renounce..." He trailed, warred with errant pas­sions. "I renounce my wife."
His eyes fell upon Esmenet, stricken upon the floor. My wife!
"Noooo," she wept and whispered. "Pleaaase, Akka..."
"As an adulteress," he continued, his voice cracking, "and a... a..."
His face a mask of nimil, he turned without leave, began walking back the way he came. The Men of the Tusk stared at him dumbstruck

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2017, 02:21:25 pm »
Any cool pies consumed over Thanksgiving? And for those of you not in USA, feel free to contribute as well if you've discovered anything interesting.

ThoughtsOfThelli ... maybe add a list of Earwa delicacies to your mission.

BeardFisher-King

• Old Name
  • The 8-Trackless Steppe
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2017, 02:31:58 pm »
Any cool pies consumed over Thanksgiving?
Pumpkin. Just a slice. With whipped cream (....ok, "Reddi-Whip").
"The heart of any other, because it has a will, would remain forever mysterious."

-from "Snow Falling On Cedars", by David Guterson

Woden

• Great Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2017, 02:32:26 pm »
Sounds tasty