• 47 Replies

Wilshire

• Administrator
  • Old Name
  • Enshoiya
  • One of the other conditions of possibility
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2018, 12:16:25 pm »
By 'simple enjoyment' I probably mean something akin to mass appeal.
One of the other conditions of possibility.

Jabberwock03

• Suthenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2018, 02:09:49 pm »
I disliked it. Bakker killed off all my favourite characters and spared the ones I don't like. And I disliked how dense the prose got towards the end; I'm still not quite sure what happened, I don't think I'll be until he explains it in the next book. I understand it's just become his style, but I'd appreciate a clearer prose.

I agree, though, this series has just begun. I mean, it's called the Second Apocalypse, and that's literally what began in the last book.

That's why it's awesome! It's kinda unexpected from a classic fantasy POV.

Perhaps, but it's hard to follow a story when you're not that much invested in the characters that are left alive.

Not that I'm not following, though...

I can't really relate to this. I hardly ever invest myself in the characters of books. I read books more for the story, I mean the events happening, than for the people doing the things.
I can like or dislike a character, but in either case I like following them as long as it's not boring.

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2018, 02:28:11 pm »
I disliked it. Bakker killed off all my favourite characters and spared the ones I don't like. And I disliked how dense the prose got towards the end; I'm still not quite sure what happened, I don't think I'll be until he explains it in the next book. I understand it's just become his style, but I'd appreciate a clearer prose.

I agree, though, this series has just begun. I mean, it's called the Second Apocalypse, and that's literally what began in the last book.

That's why it's awesome! It's kinda unexpected from a classic fantasy POV.

Perhaps, but it's hard to follow a story when you're not that much invested in the characters that are left alive.

Not that I'm not following, though...

I can't really relate to this. I hardly ever invest myself in the characters of books. I read books more for the story, I mean the events happening, than for the people doing the things.
I can like or dislike a character, but in either case I like following them as long as it's not boring.
I can relate a lot. For example, I would've never made it through God-Emperor of Dune if I didn't know (by spoiling the story a little bit) that the Tleilaxu would have a significant role to play in book 5 of the series. In TSA, I was really looking forward to finally getting to meet and talk to Shaeönanra (outside of The False Sun of course), so of course some dreams were shattered when it turned out he had died off-screen. Luckily for me, Bakker replaced him with some perhaps even more insane characters, The Mutilated!