MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2017, 02:23:41 pm »
Quote from:  TaoHorror
I was gonna say ... aren't emotions what makes it fun to be a human? When my father died, I thanked God for blessing me with the kind of father whose absence would make me feel so awful ... made me feel so alive, so cool to feel so deeply ... to use Bakker language, to live so hot.

Exactly. Its was I addressed tleilaxu. Because someone says or does that doesn't conform to your worldview, doesn't mean "its the passions that arise from the darkness". Not to me, anyway. They just have a different worldview or what have you. You can blame for feeling annoyed as much as the person your annoyed with. Why can't you control your emotions????

But, emotions are what make us human. And, most opinions are formed off of emotions on a certain subject. Trying to relegate them to "the darkness" is just philosophical nonsense to me. We are what we are. Made and moulded by experience, each and everyone of us different from another. Blaming the darkness, when you can't control your darkness, shows the fallacy of the whole argument, to me.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

SmilerLoki

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2017, 02:49:08 pm »
But, emotions are what make us human. And, most opinions are formed off of emotions on a certain subject. Trying to relegate them to "the darkness" is just philosophical nonsense to me. We are what we are. Made and moulded by experience, each and everyone of us different from another. Blaming the darkness, when you can't control your darkness, shows the fallacy of the whole argument, to me.
I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing it like this. I also think this quite possibly might be what Bakker is trying to say with that whole "the darkness that comes before" matter.

Though, of course, I can't be certain.

MSJ

• The Afflicted Few
  • Old Name
  • Yatwer's Baby Daddy
  • "You killed the wolf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2017, 02:49:51 pm »
Quote from:  tleilaxu
What would you need philosophy for? You can just e.g. take Newton's laws and extrapolate. Just saved yourself years of reading there  8)

Not saving myself anytime at all. I feel its all just ways to explain emotion and why you see the world the way you see it. And, i don't need a philosopher or Newton to tell me those things. I know why I feel certain ways and act this way or that. From my experiences in life that have made me who I am today. Its not that complicated to me. Could I use some of that to make myself a better person? Sure. But, I wouldn't use it to explain away someone's opinion that doesn't conform to mine.
“No. I am your end. Before your eyes I will put your seed to the knife. I will quarter your carcass and feed it to the dogs. Your bones I will grind to dust and cast to the winds. I will strike down those who speak your name or the name of your fathers, until ‘Yursalka’ becomes as meaningless as infant babble. I will blot you out, hunt down your every trace! The track of your life has come to me,

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
  • Exalt-Smiter of Theories
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2017, 01:05:14 am »
I've honestly lost the plot here xd. Not sure what exactly we're talking about.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2017, 11:19:01 am »

I "think" we're discussing the difference between the wisdom/benefits of self-control with the folly of all out self-control, sporting zero emotion dousing your humanity.
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

H

• The Zero-Mod
  • Old Name
  • The Honourable H
  • The Original No-God Apologist
    • View Profile
    • The Original No-God Apologist
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2017, 12:49:25 pm »

I "think" we're discussing the difference between the wisdom/benefits of self-control with the folly of all out self-control, sporting zero emotion dousing your humanity.

Well, I guess I sort of "started" this with my "less emotional" comment.  Honestly, it was flippant and so it really failed to convey what I meant.  I don't think we should really strive to be "emotionless" though.  What I meant by emotional was, controlled by emotion.  And, again, it certainly is a manner of degrees.  On the one hand, it certainly would be miserable to be completely controlled by emotion and on the other, terrible to have emotion not control one at all.

My idea of "less emotional" (and I had used it to possibly describe Kellhus in the past) is to be emotion-considering, rather than emotion-driven.
I am a warrior of ages, Anasurimbor. . . ages. I have dipped my nimil in a thousand hearts. I have ridden both against and for the No-God in the great wars that authored this wilderness. I have scaled the ramparts of great Golgotterath, watched the hearts of High Kings break for fury. -Cet'ingira

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2017, 07:32:10 pm »
Right. My point was basically that I agree with that and the mentioned mantra is useful for calming myself so I can analyze/exploit the situation intellectually instead of reacting with an emotional outburst à la "you're a phagget".
All this being-human-emotion talk is too confusing for me.

TaoHorror

• Old Name
  • whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2017, 07:51:11 pm »
Right. My point was basically that I agree with that and the mentioned mantra is useful for calming myself so I can analyze/exploit the situation intellectually instead of reacting with an emotional outburst à la "you're a phagget".

Cold calculation can be quite handy, but sometimes you need that boiling water to animate you into action
It's me, Dave, open up, I've got the stuff

TLEILAXU

• Old Name
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2017, 07:53:38 pm »

Cold calculation can be quite handy, but sometimes you need that boiling water to animate you into action
Yes we probably do need some emotion.